Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Undertray NOT fit for winter!

142K views 362 replies 117 participants last post by  braap 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, we just had a snow storm and the under-tray is a BIG failure! I can’t believe that the under-tray was actually tested in a winter environment. The small ducts allowed/scooped so much snow in 8 KM (about 5 miles) that the under-tray dropped down and was scraping on the ground. The under-tray has been so badly distorted that I doubt that it can be reused. This happened in a very short distance!
The members that were suggesting an aluminum under-tray replacement for winter were absolutely correct, the RS under-tray is NOT FIT for a North American winter!
I drove my ST through three winters and had no problems, so Ford knows how to make under-trays that will survive a Canadian winter. I just spent a significant amount of time in -15 C (5 F) removing the under-tray very carefully in an attempt to minimize the damage, the added frozen snow made the under-tray very heavy. I have it out, now I’m trying to determine the best way to repair it, and make it suitable for winter. No question I’ll have to purchase a new one for next summer.

Did anyone make an aluminum under-tray?

#105 ·
Been hitting every little snow ball lately...

Finally glanced under the car today, and the undretray is literally torn from the sway bar mounting clip. Put her up on ramps in the garage today, with the wood stove going to thaw the car out. A couple hours, and 20-25 gallons of slop vacuumed off the floor later...I crawled underneath. Under tray completely destroyed, plastic clip broken, and tray torn badly. I simply used a utility knife to cut away the torn piece.

Really Ford...a paper mache undertray! What a joke.

For as spectacular as this car is in the summer, it's equally as unspectacular in the winter.

Attachments

#110 ·
I'm going to disagree.
I've owned every generation of the WRX in the US, and none of their undertrays needed to be replaced to drive in Lake Superior snowbelt snow.
I've also had an assortment of Audi quattro vehicles, and from 83 - 00 none of them needed the undertrays replaced to drive in snow either.
I'm not off-road driving, I don't want or need a truck for winter.
Ford blew it on the RS undertray, it would be nice if there was an option other than an Aluminum skid plate.

#123 ·
I've ordered from the skidplateguy. Hoping to have a skid plate by the end of the month. I haven't seen what their actual RS version looks like, but their other offerings look pretty freaking legit. I'm told it is bare aluminum but 5mm thick with cut outs in the right places for air flow. If any one has a picture of the RS specific skidplateguy under tray I'd love to see it.

#125 ·
I'm going to my dealer this week and i'm gonna show them how it look after 2 snow storm and see if they are going to do something, because it doesn,t make sens to sell a car like this with that kind of problem

Reactions: expatevo
#132 ·
Given the RS's ground clearance and "superior" road holding on ice and snow I would think one would refrain from driving it in such conditions. You all should have bought a UNIMOG with a snow plow and a winch for pulling unsuspecting hot-hatch owners out of snow banks.

#139 ·
I'm jumping on the wagon. Heard something scrape as I pulled out of a parking lot the Friday night. A friend of mine was with me who owns an st. He said his rubs sometimes but I've never had mine rub ever. Upon arrival at his house we looked underneath and sure enough the one air scoop was ripped down to about an inch off the ground. Guess I'll be in search of aluminum unit as this is a daily driver.

#141 ·
Unfortunately when I brought my car in for a service light that popped up twice when some engine retardation I also told them I am having issues with the belly pan unfortunately this dealership (wendle / Spokane) stated it was just the nature of the car.....and regarding the service engine issue.....after four hours they said the code came back to a frozen exhaust baffle of which they cleared all the codes. I would have thought a Ford Service Tech would have been brighter than that.

#144 ·
Thats not what I'd consider good service. And to be honest, I expect better than that. That is straight out dismissing his concerns.

Special order means NOTHING. The car isn't "special" Its not a signed, numbered, limited production car. Its simply a performance model.

The under tray winter problems shouldn't happen and shows a lack of testing on Ford's part. Considering the cost and how often its happening to us. If this car was produced in the same numbers as say a Focus Titanium you can bet Ford would be in big trouble.

The Baffle is a problem, and one that many of us are reporting on cold days. All it needs is a PCM update to prevent the error from affecting drive modes. Its fine that the error presents itself, but it shouldn't affect your ability to use the drive modes, just the valve operation.

#146 ·
Thats not what I'd consider good service. And to be honest, I expect better than that. That is straight out dismissing his concerns.

Special order means NOTHING. The car isn't "special" Its not a signed, numbered, limited production car. Its simply a performance model.

The under tray winter problems shouldn't happen and shows a lack of testing on Ford's part. Considering the cost and how often its happening to us. If this car was produced in the same numbers as say a Focus Titanium you can bet Ford would be in big trouble.

The Baffle is a problem, and one that many of us are reporting on cold days. All it needs is a PCM update to prevent the error from affecting drive modes. Its fine that the error presents itself, but it shouldn't affect your ability to use the drive modes, just the valve operation.
I don't think I made my self clear in my last posting but I was fully expecting them to see the code for the frozen baffle and it happens nearly every day and I just warm it up and then restart the vehicle, I was just surprised the ford tech said that was the issue.... like telling me the engine timing retarded because I left the gas cap off code sort of thing.

#165 ·
Don't let the dealer or Ford get away with it, there are plenty of us that are having them replaced under warranty, the only issue is they are on a long backorder due to the number of problems and are replacing like with like. Make sure you contact customer service online or by phone to register the issue. Ford obviously needs to do something about the design/crappy materials!

#168 ·
What onestep suggested, make sure you do both things, I wrote to Ford corporate and they were aware from my VIN that I had already registered the complain/issue. I would also tell the dealer what you are going to do as they are really scared of receiving a crappy review, and press them on the fact that others have had the tray replaced under warranty due to it being a common issue.

#167 ·
Contact Ford Service directly.

If you had other dealers near you could find out who the regional Ford rep is and contact them too.

Reactions: expatevo
#172 ·
Here is the skidplate I purchased from the"Skid Plate Guy" which you can find on Facebook. I found the best way to communicate with him is facebook messenger. He responded usually in 20min or less. Electronics Technology Electronic device
Took it in today to get powder coated. I will post up pics in a few weeks when it's done.

#173 ·
Here is the skidplate I purchased from the"Skid Plate Guy" which you can find on Facebook. I found the best way to communicate with him is facebook messenger. He responded usually in 20min or less. View attachment 136521 Took it in today to get powder coated. I will post up pics in a few weeks when it's done.
It looks pretty cool. What is the weight delta for adding this? How thick is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.