Roof Rack - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Roof Rack

This is a discussion on Roof Rack within the Focus RS Accessories forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; As to fairings, the ST guys found that the newer style Yakima "Wind Shield" in the 46" width worked great. The width is perfect, but ...

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 491
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Roof Rack

  1. #71
    JWA
    JWA is offline
    RS Specialist JWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    557
    Member #
    3375
    Liked
    253 times
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    As to fairings, the ST guys found that the newer style Yakima "Wind Shield" in the 46" width worked great. The width is perfect, but unfortunately with the rounded towers of the Ford UK rack the outer mounts want to be right at the ends of the towers. I'm not thrilled with the way that the mounting brackets fit with the older style Thule aero bars that this rack uses either.

    I went for a quick drive and up to the 60mph I was able to go there was no discernible wind noise from the bare rack. I'm not yet sure what approach I'm going to take, modifying the mounts of the Yakima or ordering something else.

  2. #72
    JWA
    JWA is offline
    RS Specialist JWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    557
    Member #
    3375
    Liked
    253 times
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I got the bike trays installed today. I have Thule trays, and since the Ford UK rack is made by Thule I was able to order a couple matching key tumblers for the trays. Here are a couple pics:

    Name:  IMG_1070.jpg
Views: 14084
Size:  267.1 KB

    Name:  IMG_1071.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  258.9 KB

    Name:  IMG_1072.jpg
Views: 3807
Size:  325.1 KB

    Name:  IMG_1073.jpg
Views: 5231
Size:  315.5 KB

    Name:  IMG_1074.jpg
Views: 8750
Size:  257.4 KB

    Name:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 6671
Size:  271.9 KB

    Name:  IMG_1076.jpg
Views: 2232
Size:  183.7 KB

  3. #73
    RS Specialist ethosguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    571
    Member #
    1955
    Liked
    332 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ...and I've been told this isn't a Thule rack. Doh!

    Spoiler / bike wheel clearance? Actually the bike carriers I use move the bike more forward.
    Can I suggest you put some film to prevent dirty tyres scratching the spoiler blade?

    About to place my order having been in email comms with Ford Parts UK - AU$400 inc shipping.

    Great - more common keys for me too!
    Carology:
    Jeep CJ5 3"lift on 33" first love
    Mitsubishi Colt '71 rally clubman first wangdang
    Mazda RX2 '71 Coupe -13B BP 48IDA , 9000rpm al flywheel HD clutch 5sp 4.4:1 LSD 4 pot vented front rear disks, Recaro & harness + more THIS Wild thing!
    Subaru WRX '03 Hatch
    Current: Focus RS, NB OZ Leggera.
    In passing: Mazda RX3 4 door, RX2 Coupe, Datsun 510, Ford Escort '79 2l, Subaru DL AWD wagon x2 POS!
    Bikes: Suzuki RM80B, RM80Z, Kawasaki KX80F1, KTM 250EXC 2T, 300 2T, 350 EXCF, Now FE350

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements
     

  5. #74
    RS Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    144
    Member #
    1175
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That rack looks great, I may go with that. If I read in your other post correctly @JWA it cost $230? Is there any padding where it makes contact with the paint or is it hard plastic?

  6. #75
    RS Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21
    Member #
    5289
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reversing the bike trays works too. I did that on my BMW Z3 M Coupe.

    Are you guys putting film under the crossbar feet? EDIT: Never mind... I see the answer is yes.
    Last edited by Reddy Kilowatt; 08-24-2016 at 10:57 PM.

  7. #76
    JWA
    JWA is offline
    RS Specialist JWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    557
    Member #
    3375
    Liked
    253 times
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsci View Post
    That rack looks great, I may go with that. If I read in your other post correctly @JWA it cost $230? Is there any padding where it makes contact with the paint or is it hard plastic?
    Yes, it was $230 USD shipped to me at the exchange rate when I ordered it. That includes the towers, crossbars, feet, clips, and locks. It comes all assembled. There are rubber feet pads at the base of the towers that are shaped properly to sit on the painted section and span to the rain rail section. Most people just clean the surface of the car and the feet well before putting it on. I also wrapped the rails with Xpel Ultimate clear bra film.

  8. #77
    JWA
    JWA is offline
    RS Specialist JWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    557
    Member #
    3375
    Liked
    253 times
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethosguy View Post
    ...and I've been told this isn't a Thule rack. Doh!

    Spoiler / bike wheel clearance?
    It's not marked with Thule anywhere that I've seen, but it's clearly made by them. The crossbars are their older aero profile though, not the newer wider version.

    I think the wheel may clear the spoiler. I'll put a bike on it tomorrow and post details. The location that I slid the wheel straps to is probably a bit further back than it will end up. I guess we'll see.

  9. #78
    RS Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    144
    Member #
    1175
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWA View Post
    Yes, it was $230 USD shipped to me at the exchange rate when I ordered it. That includes the towers, crossbars, feet, clips, and locks. It comes all assembled. There are rubber feet pads at the base of the towers that are shaped properly to sit on the painted section and span to the rain rail section. Most people just clean the surface of the car and the feet well before putting it on. I also wrapped the rails with Xpel Ultimate clear bra film.
    Awesome thanks for the info. I take it since it's a factory rack, that it uses the mounting holes already on the car? I have an old Yakima rack from my last car, but I'm looking for something a little better looking for the RS. This may be just what I'm looking for.

  10. #79
    JWA
    JWA is offline
    RS Specialist JWA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    557
    Member #
    3375
    Liked
    253 times
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsci View Post
    I take it since it's a factory rack, that it uses the mounting holes already on the car?
    Yep. That's why you have to order it from Europe, to get one with the locating holes that the euro cars have, and all RS's.

  11. #80
    RS Specialist Bluebyutoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Fayettville, NY
    Posts
    1,176
    Member #
    839
    Liked
    613 times
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWA View Post
    It's not marked with Thule anywhere that I've seen, but it's clearly made by them. The crossbars are their older aero profile though, not the newer wider version.

    I think the wheel may clear the spoiler. I'll put a bike on it tomorrow and post details. The location that I slid the wheel straps to is probably a bit further back than it will end up. I guess we'll see.
    So if it's a THULE (and I also think it is, same as the one on my wife's Mini, sold by Mini but is clearly a THULE) rack, would it stand to reason that a Thule Airfoil would fit it?

    What did you wrap it with? I was thinking of using plastic dip spray to turn mine black.

    Thanks again for all the legwork on this.

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Bike Rack options
    By ControlNode in forum Focus RS Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Search tags for this page

2016 ford focus rs roof rack

,

focus rs roof rack

,
focus rs roof rails
,
focus rs thule tracks
,

ford focus roof rack

,
ford focus roof rails
,

ford focus rs roof rack

,
ford focus rs roof racks
,
rack focus
,

roof rack

,
roof rack 2018 focus rs
,
s rack focus
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.