Roof Rack - Page 47
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Roof Rack

This is a discussion on Roof Rack within the Focus RS Accessories forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; I have been using a SeaSucker on my RS since Feb 2017 without issues. It's the 2-bike mini bomber model with the upgraded rear ratchets. ...

Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Roof Rack

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have been using a SeaSucker on my RS since Feb 2017 without issues. It's the 2-bike mini bomber model with the upgraded rear ratchets. Handles everything from road bikes to 35lb 130mm mtn bikes. It is the real deal.

Also, in those years still no permanent marks on the roof. It leaves rings sometimes, but they wash out. I have no moonroof, so it's right on the paint...but I do wax at least semi-regularly for that extra protection, just in case.

I have full faith in the system in the front...but I did make a small "security" mod in the rear where I connected the two mounts together with a bar. That way, if one cup fails for whatever reason there is a 2nd still attached. Never happened to me, but it's piece of mind.

As for the roof skin strength.. @Camper Van Someren is correct that you should pay attention to where you attach the rack. Right up against the front header (near the windshield) is reinforced so you don't see any deflection there. If you put it in the middle you'll see it bow in.

Hope that helps someone on the fence.
    - 2016 Stealth Gray RS1

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebyutoo View Post
    Just picked up a Thule bike rack for a steal the other day and give it a test fit.

Attachment 299226Attachment 299234
    Could you share a link to where you got your cross bars? Have been looking for the black finish.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just picked up the Rhino 2500 system ill be installing it tonight hope it will do the job I want it to. Looking to see if the 50in cross bar will hold both a SUP board and a 10' kayak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So I got the Rhino 2500 rack and the front bar fits fine the rear I cant get it to be flush like the front. What might I be doing wrong? I'm breaking my head over this as I cant get it to be flush. Help much appreciated.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcesar View Post
    So I got the Rhino 2500 rack and the front bar fits fine the rear I cant get it to be flush like the front. What might I be doing wrong? I'm breaking my head over this as I cant get it to be flush. Help much appreciated.
    If by flush you mean little to no bar protuding out the mount then it might be normal as the front feet are further apart than the back feet on our cars due to the shape of out roof. So if you had the fronts flush the same bar length in the back would not be flush.

I had the rhino bars on my st and they fitted pretty well but those were the pre-cut versions (I think it was the 2500RS model). Changed them for thule on the RS to use the locating/retaining grommets. Emailed Rhino and they had no plans to have a bracket made to use the grommets. No big deal but I had the rack move a tiny bit once on the ST (probably should have checked the torque on the mount more often) and thought I would like to have the extra studs preventing this from happening again. Also the pre-cut version of the Rhino were not wide enough to move the bike far enough for the rear wheels to clear the wing on the RS (forkmounts).

Sold the Rhino for pretty much the same amount as the Thule kit from amazon uk. Now I can mount the bikes just out enough for the rear wheels to clear the wing when opening the trunk. Did not thrust my GF to think about holding the trunk everytime we had the bikes mounted! And did not want to change bike mounts either!
    Last edited by Barroux; 03-25-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barroux View Post
    If by flush you mean little to no bar protuding out the mount then it might be normal as the front feet are further apart than the back feet on our cars due to the shape of out roof. So if you had the fronts flush the same bar length in the back would not be flush.

I had the rhino bars on my st and they fitted pretty well but those were the pre-cut versions (I think it was the 2500RS model). Changed them for thule on the RS to use the locating/retaining grommets. Emailed Rhino and they had no plans to have a bracket made to use the grommets. No big deal but I had the rack move a tiny bit once on the ST (probably should have checked the torque on the mount more often) and thought I would like to have the extra studs preventing this from happening again. Also the pre-cut version of the Rhino were not wide enough to move the bike far enough for the rear wheels to clear the wing on the RS (forkmounts).

Sold the Rhino for pretty much the same amount as the Thule kit from amazon uk. Now I can mount the bikes just out enough for the rear wheels to clear the wing when opening the trunk. Did not thrust my GF to think about holding the trunk everytime we had the bikes mounted! And did not want to change bike mounts either!
    Thank you for your reply Its really helping me clear up some of my thoughts.

In the picture I included is from the rhino web site. My front rack gets the check mark but my rear rack gets the X as its not sitting flush on both sides.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Name:  rhino rack instructions.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  101.1 KB

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thank you for your reply Its really helping me clear up some of my thoughts.

In the picture I included is from the rhino web site. My front rack gets the check mark but my rear rack gets the X as its not sitting flush on both sides.
    Oh I see that’s the other thing I actually though you were saying!

Is this version of the rhino adjustable in width? I mean did you have to adjust the foot position sidewise as per rhino’s instructions? If the foot position is not right I can the the clips not seating right on the door frame.

If you’re in the middle x situation you might need to move the foot in towards the center of the car to get the clip to sit at the correct angle. Opposite for the rh x on that picture, move them out.

The thule had precise measurements for each bar of where to position the base/foot.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @Barroux Great info! Thank you! Now I know what I need to do. I'll need to move the foot position out a bit then.

Its so strange as it said to put the front bars at 179mm but the rear at 149mm. I think they will both need to end up being the same if not at least very close to the same.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @Barroux Great info! Thank you! Now I know what I need to do. I'll need to move the foot position out a bit then.

Its so strange as it said to put the front bars at 179mm but the rear at 149mm. I think they will both need to end up being the same if not at least very close to the same.
    Maybe double check you got the correct brackets on the correct corner too. As it can get confusing and with the rhinos on my ST I rememberi first had them wrong.

At first glance those numbers seem to make sense I know the rear bar needs to have the feet closer.

Another thing I can think of is the bar fwd/aft position, if it’s not per rhino’s instructions it will move the bar to a point where the roof if narrower or larger than what they designed the foot spacing for.

I guess as long as the rubber pads sit nicely on the roof and the brackets sit flush you should be good.

Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors