Fire extinguisher and bracket options - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Fire extinguisher and bracket options

This is a discussion on Fire extinguisher and bracket options within the Focus RS Racing forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Agreed better to have something. But have you ever had to set off your halon kit?... I've, luckily, never had too. But I've heard it's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fire extinguisher and bracket options

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1510 times
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Agreed better to have something.

But have you ever had to set off your halon kit?...

I've, luckily, never had too. But I've heard it's more than a little bit scary.

Back on topic. Sorry.
    Will that mount fit in front of the drivers seat?

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourZero View Post
    Works for me. Would be nice tucked a tad closer to the seat base but it's a universal bracket, can't expect miracles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ya I'm going to find a way to install it so that the whole bracket comes in and out with ease. I'm just trying to please the rule book and the wife made it clear that the extinguisher and bracket won't be welcome to hang around in her daily driver.
    2016 White with 0 options

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's another option for fitting a fire extinguisher to an RS. This is a video (youtube) of it being fitted to my RS today:

I'm happy with this product because its not universal i.e. its custom built for the RS. The bracket is one piece, which means there is no adjustment needed and no extra bolts to loosen. That's important, not just for compliance with regulations, but also because you do not want your extinguisher to become a 1kg projectile in a crash!

The extinguisher (1kg in this case) clears the bump ahead of the seat and sits at the rear of the footwell. This allows full seat movement. Yes it can be kicked by the passenger but that's not a big issue versus the other benefits in my view.

You can check out the manufacturer here: https://kap.industries
    And the RS page and video on their site is here: https://kap.industries/product/ford-focus-mk3-rs/

No affiliation. I paid for the product; just a very happy customer. I found their customer service to be excellent.

And if you are in Australia - support the local guy and buy this!
    Last edited by Alpha Dog; 09-06-2017 at 04:03 AM.
    MorningZ, lottadot and braap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
    Here's another option for fitting a fire extinguisher to an RS. This is a video (youtube) of it being fitted to my RS today:
    This might be a stupid question, but I assume this would work on the passenger side in LHD markets as well?
    2017 RS: RS2, NB, Sunroof, hellastock.
    IG: nitrous.rs

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RastaPasta View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but I assume this would work on the passenger side in LHD markets as well?
    The very first line on the description: https://kap.industries/product/ford-focus-mk3-rs/

This fire extinguisher mount fits both drivers side and passenger side of the Ford Focus Mk3 RS and Mk3.5 ST. Including left hand and right hand drive!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post

I'm happy with this product because its not universal i.e. its custom built for the RS. The bracket is one piece, which means there is no adjustment needed and no extra bolts to loosen. That's important, not just for compliance with regulations, but also because you do not want your extinguisher to become a 1kg projectile in a crash!

The extinguisher (1kg in this case) clears the bump ahead of the seat and sits at the rear of the footwell. This allows full seat movement. Yes it can be kicked by the passenger but that's not a big issue versus the other benefits in my view.

You can check out the manufacturer here: https://kap.industries
    And the RS page and video on their site is here: https://kap.industries/product/ford-focus-mk3-rs/

No affiliation. I paid for the product; just a very happy customer. I found their customer service to be excellent.

And if you are in Australia - support the local guy and buy this!
    Bringing this back from the dead. I've switched roles for my hatchbacks (other one is a heavily modified Fiesta ST) and the RS will now get occasional track duty, while the Fiesta becomes my daily driver. The RS is such a fun, stable, and nimble car at the limit (well, at MY limit). With that in mind I decided to get a fire extinguisher for the RS and just ordered this bracket from Kap.

Mounting looks very flexible with a series of slots to accommodate mating to whatever bottle mounting you might use.

I opted for a Drake quick release mount from Amazon, coupled with a Safecraft PB2 2.5 lb bottle blowing Halon 1211 as the extinguishing agent.

No affiliation with any of these companies. Although, I do want to give a shoutout to Russell at Kap Industries. He was heading out the door for holiday on Friday evening PT (a.m. Saturday in Hughesdale, Victoria, AU), but he took the time to answer a series of email questions and then ship a pair of brackets before he got out the door (one for me and one for my track-day buddy). Thanks, Russell!

Now all the bits just have to land and I'll find the right t-bolt clamps to attach the Drake mount to the 3-inch fire bottle and some fasteners to pin the other part of the Drake mount to the bracket. [Update: Turns out the Drake large t-bolt clamps are probably a best fit for this bottle, so that's ordered now too.]

This is not the cheapest setup, but I got spoiled with a Safecraft-provided quick release setup on the Fiesta. This will be cheaper than that -- mostly because there will be no custom fab and installation labor involved. The quick release approach is very slick. Halon is VERY effective with car fires. Just avoid breathing the stuff if possible.
    Last edited by meFiSTo; 08-30-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Alpha Dog likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I just installed my Bracketeer yesterday

------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All the bits landed and the thing is installed.

(Pug fur is everywhere in my life. Oscar has NEVER been in this vehicle, but his fur can be found in every nook and cranny.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by meFiSTo; 09-04-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    948 times
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meFiSTo View Post
    All the bits landed and the thing is installed.

(Pug fur is everywhere in my life. Oscar has NEVER been in this vehicle, but his fur can be found in every nook and cranny.)
    Looks real quality. Can you provide us with a longer image so I can see how intrusive it is with regards to passenger accommodation. Just thinking it may be an issue for a passenger getting in and out. The one fitted to Alph dogs looks a little intrusive and yours has a greater standoff from the bracket than his. Thanks

Ciao
    Last edited by lucky phil; 09-04-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky phil View Post
    Looks real quality. Can you provide us with a longer image so I can see how intrusive it is with regards to passenger accommodation. Just thinking it may be an issue for a passenger getting in and out. The one fitted to Alph dogs looks a little intrusive and yours has a greater standoff from the bracket than his. Thanks

Ciao
    No doubt that it intrudes into the passenger foot well considerably more than the Bracketeer optoin. However, it's not unmanageable. With the FE removed, the remaining Drake quick release mount is really not an issue in my opinion (for everyday driving). Evem with the FE in place, I think it's fine for most adults. I'll take some photos tomorrow and test it with my 5'4" wife. She'll let me know if it's a problem. By "longer" image, I'm taking you to mean, taken from a greater distance away from the setup for better spatial perspective. Car's in the garage at the moment and the door's a little wedged in there.
    Last edited by meFiSTo; 09-04-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors