Mounting Resistors for Rear Turn Signal LEDs
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Mounting Resistors for Rear Turn Signal LEDs within the Focus RS Lighting forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Branching off from this post: https://www.focusrs.org/forum/32-focu...ml#post1281057 Those of you who have installed LED rear turn signals with the resistor kit, such as the one by ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Mounting Resistors for Rear Turn Signal LEDs

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Branching off from this post: https://www.focusrs.org/forum/32-focu...ml#post1281057

Those of you who have installed LED rear turn signals with the resistor kit, such as the one by Diode Dynamics (https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...category/1487/), how and where did you mount the resistors? Ideally, I would like to avoid drilling holes into the metal. I saw that there is a factory hole in the metal on the inside, accessible from the trunk. It may be possible to use this hole to mount a bracket on which the resistor can be mounted, though on the driver side, there is a factor wire harness connector that is mounted relatively close by.

Has anyone found other places to mount the resistor that do not require drilling into the metal?

Also, does anyone know how hot the turn signal resistor would get?

Name:  IMG_6080.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  1.92 MB
    Name:  IMG_6085.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  1.80 MB
    2016 Ford Focus RS, Nitrous Blue
    Build Thread: Hidden Content
    IG: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    2385 times
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I just used some 3m double sided tape and stuck it to the metal below the harness. I don't have any pics right now but I can take some tomorrow if you'd like... I've had them on for a couple months and they're still solidly mounted.
    | 2016 FORD RS | RS2 | FW | Moonroof | 19" Forged Wheels | Super Sports |
    | Ordered 12OCT15 | Built 04MAY16 | Shipped 31MAY16 | Port 24JUN16 | Delivered 01JUL16 |
    |AWE Track Edition Exhaust | mountune B5 package+Quick-Shift+SSC+Breather Plate | Mishimoto Catch Can | Redline Hood Struts |
    | Muteki SR48 Burning Blue Lug Nuts | Aries FloorLiners | RallyArmor Flaps | Thinkware F770 F&R Cameras |
    | Hidden Content | Hidden Content |

Hidden Content Originally Posted by 4g63girl Hidden Content
    Hi Josh. So this is fun... I like your nuts. What size are they? Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks, Josh. Are you using the 3M mounting tape? If so, are there any concerns with heat dissipation with mounting with that kind of tape since its foam material would act like a heat insulator?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While the turn signals aren't on for extended periods of time, I still think it's a poor idea to use double stick tape on resistors. Those things can get super hot. I actually had one melt my intake duct on my f150 because I didn't secure it well enough. I'm not sure which resistors DD sells, but the only ones I would ever use are the Morimotos from RETROFIT SOURCE. Those run much cooler.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I riveted them to a piece of thin sheet metal and hot glued it to the housing. The metal helps dissipate the heat a little better.

Name:  IMG_0299.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  2.05 MB

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I also used 3M mounting tape and wire tied the wires at each end to the existing light wiring. These resisters don't get hot and I left the hazard lights on for a few minutes to test that out. I did the same thing to my 2014 Escape when I installed the Kuga rear tail lamp assemblies (wanted the European LED look). It's been over 3 years and they are still doing just fine. The resistors have not come off of the tape and no plastics or wiring distorted from heat.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH87 View Post
    While the turn signals aren't on for extended periods of time, I still think it's a poor idea to use double stick tape on resistors. Those things can get super hot. I actually had one melt my intake duct on my f150 because I didn't secure it well enough. I'm not sure which resistors DD sells, but the only ones I would ever use are the Morimotos from RETROFIT SOURCE. Those run much cooler.
    I had a similar kit on my ST for two years and no issues. I'd be more worried about ambient temps and sitting in the sun, frankly. I like @RS_Gav 's solution.

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RS_Gav View Post
    I riveted them to a piece of thin sheet metal and hot glued it to the housing. The metal helps dissipate the heat a little better.

Name:  IMG_0299.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  2.05 MB
    That's a pretty elegant solution. I think I'll try to go that route with mine.

Are there any concerns with the wiring being close to the top side of the resistor?

Member #
    Liked
    768 times
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wait, you are putting a 50 watt resistor in there plus the leds so you can run more efficiently than a 26 watt bulb?????
    Take everything I post with an MDOT truckload of salt.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” R.E. Howard
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halleffect View Post
    That's a pretty elegant solution. I think I'll try to go that route with mine.

Are there any concerns with the wiring being close to the top side of the resistor?
    Hasn't been a problem so far. I have taken the tail lights out a couple of times to inspect and the wiring is fine.
    apextheorem likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors