Euro Rear Fog Light Installation - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Euro Rear Fog Light Installation

This is a discussion on Euro Rear Fog Light Installation within the Focus RS Lighting forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Its still deleting messages, but good news is that the switch is confirmed to be correct, and the BCM is diffrent PN, but I've seen ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Euro Rear Fog Light Installation

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Its still deleting messages, but good news is that the switch is confirmed to be correct, and the BCM is diffrent PN, but I've seen no less than 4 different compatible PNs, so I am leaning toward a sw issue with forscan and it not actually making the change, its been reported that it even looks like it changed, but doesn't ( EU steering wheel cruise control issues.) If I get the same results I'll get UCDS and try with that as I want to update modules and other things ucds has over forscan. Forscan is limited in that respect as well as plenty others...mostly just being overly complicated codes vs simple english.
    Last edited by jefferysanders; 04-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    XRJoe likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I cant wait to see if you find out how to do it when you get your switch and start digging into it. I reached the limits of my bcm and forscan knowledge but you seem to have more ressources/skills to take it further!

I actually used the light for the first time today, we had bad freezing rain/snow pushed by strong wind gusts on a strech of highway, could barely see the lights from the cars ahead. I figured it was time to use it after all the work involves in installing it!

Quote Originally Posted by jefferysanders View Post
    Its still deleting messages, but good news is that the switch is confirmed to be correct, and the BCM is diffrent PN, but I've seen no less than 4 different compatible PNs, so I am leaning toward a sw issue with forscan and it not actually making the change, its been reported that it even looks like it changed, but doesn't ( EU steering wheel cruise control issues.) If I get the same results I'll get UCDS and try with that as I want to update modules and other things ucds has over forscan. Forscan is limited in that respect as well as plenty others...mostly just being overly complicated codes vs simple english.
    phillofoc and XRJoe like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1107 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Good to know that companies are working on this too, a good selection of outputs available

------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post

Good to know that companies are working on this too, a good selection of outputs available
    That's interesting! I guess someone with more knowledge of CanBus could intercept the signal for the rear fog and use it to trigger a relay somehow...definitely not something I know anything about but still very interesting!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Little update, hella rear fog light was delivered yesterday in my community mailbox, will compare with the luxvision later this week or this week-end and decide which one I'll be keeping. Already have someone interested in buying the one I wont be using, if that does not happen I'll be posting one in the classifieds, or keeping it in my spares parts bin!

As a reminder I bought it from this site:
    https://www.rallylights.com/hella-55...-fog-lamp.html

It was a special order item, originally supposed to take 6 weeks for delivery, ended up taking 10 weeks! Glad I bought the LuxVision too so I could keep this project moving waiting for the Hella!

Need to update this first post with all I can too. Until someone figures out how to wire to the bcm I'll be done with it once I decide which light I'm using and swap the hella in there if I decide to use it.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread for your help, it was much appreciated!
    XRJoe likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Picked up the Hella light after hockey. It feels maybe a bit more quality than the luxvision buy that’s mainly due to the back housing which is made of aluminum. The Luxvision is all plastic with an aluminum heat sink stuck on it at the back. The Hella comes in a real box with instructions (good for amp sizing only since it’s otherwise straight forward...they say 3A fuse is needed for the light). The Luxvision came in an enveloppe with no real packaging.

Both lights seem identical in shape and mounting flanges, will confirm when I fit it but they seem near identical.

Otherwise the Hella is maybe a bit brighter but it’s hard to tell really! Since it has multiple LEDs it feels brighter and lights up the whole lense too. The light is quite bright and hard to look at directly which is perfect for what it is used for. The Hella lense has bumps on it aligned with each LED and the face of the lense is not clear, more like frosted.

The Luxvision uses only one LED but that one LED is at the bottom of a pretty big reflector which does a great job at projecting a concentrated beam of light. The light however is concentrated in that spot and does not fill the lense. The lense is clear and all the fake reflectors around the contour are not used on the rear fog configuration (must be for turn signal versions I guess).

I think I’ll be using the Hella since it has more LEDs (I like the redundancy) and produces a bigger spot of light by lighting the whole housing (I’ll take all the visibility I can in bad weather). Once installed if it seems equally “blinding” as the Luxvision this is the one that will stay in there!

I guess at this point it’s a matter of personal preference as both do a great job as rear fogs. Would have liked to have someone drive my car with the rear fog on to compare both...but nobody else drives it really!
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    eglove likes this.

RS Noob
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found this forum topic while looking for a rear fog light option for my Ford Transit Connect. The TC is built on the Focus platform so the electronics are the same or very similar. Using the info here I bought a light switch from eBay UK. I confirmed the rear fog light illuminates on the cluster and the BCM does not output a signal. I tried in vain to find a signal from the light switch I could use to turn on the fog light. The switch is only sending out LIN Bus packets, there is no physical switching of signals/power.
    I focused on the power that was controlling the LED on the cluster and found the circuitry for the rear fog LED on the cluster circuit board. The LED does not turn on/off with a simple on/off voltage and the power is pulse width modulated (PWM). After a lot of testing and some circuit design, I found a circuit that will turn on a rear fog light by pressing the button on the light switch.
    I built a circuit that reads the voltage on the cluster LED and turns it into a signal I can use to drive a relay. I know this is probably too complicated for most, but it is a functional solution. See the attached sketch of the circuit diagram. Half of the circuit is home-made and the other half is a relay driver that I bought on Amazon. I soldered a wire on the cluster circuit board for the LED signal and connected it to the circuit. I used power from the left rear running light to operate the circuit and the fog lamp so nothing is powered if the lights are not on (I found this circuit is limited to about 2A by the BCM). The circuit is under the dash cover behind the IPC (lots of space in the TC).
    Maybe someone will design a circuit using an Arduino that will read the LIN Bus and close a relay when the fog lamp switch is pressed. This is beyond my skill set.
    Thanks to all who worked on this. You did most of the hard work.
    Name:  ckt015.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.49 MBName:  IMG_20190602_103959397.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  104.4 KB
    MorningZ, Cerberos and XRJoe like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    @DonRidley great info you posted there!

Way beyond my skill level but very interesting! Glad some of the info gathered here was helpful to you and appreciate that you registered to contribute to this thread!

Got some pictures of the light itself on the TC? Which light did you use and how did you mount it? Was that to make it legal where the rear fog is required by law or was it just for the fun of it and added safety when needed?

RS Noob
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I could not find any information on where the rear TC fog lights are installed by the factory for the European markets. I installed a 7443 bulb in the lower marker light housing that originally had a 5W5 small bulb. I had to carve-out the housing to match the keys on an OEM 7443 bulb socket. It fit perfectly. The fog light switch turns on the bright element of a 7443 LED bulb. Probably not as bright as the dedicated RS fog light, but it works.
    Name:  light photo.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  39.1 KBName:  socket.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  64.4 KB

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just backed in my motorcycle when reversing in the garage (was in a hurry, totally forgot I had moved it there and was blinded by the sun), furtunately the RS only suffered from a cracked rear diffuser.

I guess it’s time for a brand new one from FPUK this time! Also chipped the paint as big as the tip of a fingernail, should be able to make it almost disapear once filled/touched up.

The bike was not so lucky...fell on its side and needs a mirror/peg/clutch lever and side stand lug sheared off the frame (that’s going to be the worst part of the repair). Otherwise might change a fairing, a side marker and an exhaust can for cosmetic reasons.

What a nice way to spend some hard earned money and waste precious time on something that was fine before it all happened 😞

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors