Tubular ti control arms are only the beginning. - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Tubular ti control arms are only the beginning.

This is a discussion on Tubular ti control arms are only the beginning. within the Focus RS Suspension forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Originally Posted by XRJoe What have you done, if anything, to reinforce the upper and lower mounting points for the rear shocks, now that they're ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Tubular ti control arms are only the beginning.

  1. #51
    RS Master Shimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    440
    Member #
    12602
    Liked
    502 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XRJoe View Post
    What have you done, if anything, to reinforce the upper and lower mounting points for the rear shocks, now that they're load bearing? I have concerns as in stock form, the weight of the car is borne by the subframe and LCA. I remember what Ford did on the Sierras when they moved to a true coilover, and they heavily reinforced the lower mounts on the STA, and the cage was tied into the upper shock mounts.

    When Focus Central did a similar kit on the Mk1 Focus, they included reinforcements to the lower shock mount.
    Focus Central or Dennis, yes I have been around for awhile, did nothing more than address a huge weak point in the MK1 chassis of drawn steel Hubs. He over bent 90degrees a gross steel bracket which still put all the load in shear on the top side.. The new Focus ones are far superior in design. Also comparing old cars with the design criteria and structure we can now do with computers is a serious mute point. Class 10.9 bolts as used by OEM, more than we need. If wanted go to Class 12. Just an FYI, did this married coils mod on MK1 as well never had an issue.
    Friendly FYI.

    Before we think of this anymore, think of safety. A, B, and C pillar locations are stout and are never under built.
    Hidden Content maybe stock FW RS1 with Ford Flaps



    Hidden Content *Thank you local Ford ASSSHAT dealers for making me drive 900miles back with my car from Logan ,UTAH.lol. Best damn road trip ever thanks again. Yes Fritts Ford, Yes Gosch ,Yes Ken Grody, Yes Perry, yes to all southern Ford California dealers. You are all a frkn joke and I wont ever go back*

  2. #52
    Supporting Member DeanHart's Avatar
    Supporting Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    181
    Member #
    41729
    Liked
    109 times
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    So Iíve had the opportunity to drive the new married AST5300 set up. I can honestly and with confidence say these are hands down the best out of box damping profile I have ever tested. Itís literally nearly perfect. Can it be better I donít know without drawbacks somewhere else. The noise vibration is gone , completely gone and this is with zero sound deadening anywhere in rear since I removed it for the brace install. The lower motion ratio works wonders with spring rate selection. If givin the choice again I would happily take everything Iíve done and spent cash on to this point and sell it just to buy these dampers before any mods began. Serious.
    Very impressive!

    Chasing my tail with rear spring rates for the divorced setup . . .
    2017 Stealth RS

  3. #53
    RS Specialist Hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Prairieville, LA
    Posts
    920
    Member #
    1408
    Liked
    1195 times
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Are you any closer to a product ready for public sale? Although I was FTD at the last autox, 2nd place wasn't that far behind (0.429).

    The rear strut brace and RDU lower bracing look ready. I need to drop more weight if I can't add power cheaply.

    Please contact me with pricing when you can.
    Hidden Content - 2016 Focus RS - FW / RS2 / Forged - 3,181 lb of fun! Built to dominate fellow Street Mod autocrossers and the occasional drag race.
    Hidden Content - 1953 M35A2 Military Truck - 13,000 lb of fun! Built for parades, military rallies, deep water rescue and the occasional car show.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

  5. #54
    RS Specialist
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    661
    Member #
    60
    Liked
    231 times
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Focus Central or Dennis, yes I have been around for awhile, did nothing more than address a huge weak point in the MK1 chassis of drawn steel Hubs. He over bent 90degrees a gross steel bracket which still put all the load in shear on the top side.. The new Focus ones are far superior in design. Also comparing old cars with the design criteria and structure we can now do with computers is a serious mute point. Class 10.9 bolts as used by OEM, more than we need. If wanted go to Class 12. Just an FYI, did this married coils mod on MK1 as well never had an issue.
    Friendly FYI.

    Before we think of this anymore, think of safety. A, B, and C pillar locations are stout and are never under built.
    Awesome, appreciate the input. I'm not jumping the car either. How much inboard tire clearance did you lose with springs at the shock?

    Also interested in the titanium parts, when they're ready for prime time.

  6. #55
    RS Master Shimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    440
    Member #
    12602
    Liked
    502 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XRJoe View Post
    Awesome, appreciate the input. I'm not jumping the car either. How much inboard tire clearance did you lose with springs at the shock?

    Also interested in the titanium parts, when they're ready for prime time.

    I am fitted with 18x9.5 Advan RGIII, Et45 , 265/35/18 PS4 clears with nearly 1/4 in on spring outward section. Inward is close to vertical wall, but zero rub so far with all fenders sitting at 25" with driver.
    XRJoe likes this.
    Hidden Content maybe stock FW RS1 with Ford Flaps



    Hidden Content *Thank you local Ford ASSSHAT dealers for making me drive 900miles back with my car from Logan ,UTAH.lol. Best damn road trip ever thanks again. Yes Fritts Ford, Yes Gosch ,Yes Ken Grody, Yes Perry, yes to all southern Ford California dealers. You are all a frkn joke and I wont ever go back*

  7. #56
    RS Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    122
    Member #
    19594
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have nothing to add to the conversation cuz I'm mechanically illiterate, but I thought I was finished with the list of things I planned to do to my RS. It was already more than the price of the car but now you've done it. Now I can finally keep adding things to my list. @Shimmer this is all your fault and don't you ever stop not stopping. Happy to support a fellow SoCal RS obsessed owner.

    Call me basic but above all else, I'm excited to see your splitter/skid plate. You had me at carbon NACA ducts.
    DeanHart likes this.

  8. #57
    RS Master Shimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    440
    Member #
    12602
    Liked
    502 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SenderPiggins View Post
    I have nothing to add to the conversation cuz I'm mechanically illiterate, but I thought I was finished with the list of things I planned to do to my RS. It was already more than the price of the car but now you've done it. Now I can finally keep adding things to my list. @Shimmer this is all your fault and don't you ever stop not stopping. Happy to support a fellow SoCal RS obsessed owner.

    Call me basic but above all else, I'm excited to see your splitter/skid plate. You had me at carbon NACA ducts.
    I’ll buy ya a beer.
    DeanHart and NVMarkus like this.
    Hidden Content maybe stock FW RS1 with Ford Flaps



    Hidden Content *Thank you local Ford ASSSHAT dealers for making me drive 900miles back with my car from Logan ,UTAH.lol. Best damn road trip ever thanks again. Yes Fritts Ford, Yes Gosch ,Yes Ken Grody, Yes Perry, yes to all southern Ford California dealers. You are all a frkn joke and I wont ever go back*

  9. #58
    RS Master NVMarkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    437
    Member #
    42473
    Liked
    115 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Iíll buy ya a beer.
    I like beer too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #59
    RS Master Shimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    440
    Member #
    12602
    Liked
    502 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NVMarkus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I’ll buy ya a beer.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.focusrs.org/forum/images/smilies/encouragement.png[/IMG]
    I like beer too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack buying us beers at BBOR next year in Texas. Since your going and so am I let’s do this.
    Hidden Content maybe stock FW RS1 with Ford Flaps



    Hidden Content *Thank you local Ford ASSSHAT dealers for making me drive 900miles back with my car from Logan ,UTAH.lol. Best damn road trip ever thanks again. Yes Fritts Ford, Yes Gosch ,Yes Ken Grody, Yes Perry, yes to all southern Ford California dealers. You are all a frkn joke and I wont ever go back*

  11. #60
    RS Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    321
    Member #
    9546
    Liked
    102 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Zack buying us beers at BBOR next year in Texas. Since your going and so am I let’s do this.
    All the Lone Star you can drink.

    Name:  lone star.PNG
Views: 24
Size:  238.3 KB

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-14-2018, 09:14 PM
  2. Aluminum Control Arms for Front suspension
    By SVTRSST in forum Focus RS Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2017, 11:57 AM
  3. dominant tubular control arms
    By jchidley in forum Focus RS Suspension
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2017, 08:34 PM