Is my Amp done?
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Is my Amp done?

This is a discussion on Is my Amp done? within the Focus RS Electronics forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; I know this isn't an issue specific to the focus rs but my sound system is installed in my focus rs so I'll post this ...

Thread: Is my Amp done?

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is my Amp done?

I know this isn't an issue specific to the focus rs but my sound system is installed in my focus rs so I'll post this problem here as well.

I started up my car the other day and noticed an electrical burning smell. Since the stereo was still working, I assumed that maybe I forgot to take my ebrake off. Everything seemed to be working. It was dark and I didn't want to investigate further so I drove home.

I forgot all about the issue until I took the car out again the next day. The smell was still there but the stereo was still working. On route to my destination, the audio completely died. This time, I got out to investigate. It turned out that the fuse by the battery had fried. I then went to the back of the car to check on the amp. The amp fuses were all fine but I did notice that the electric burning smell was there as well. I assumed that maybe the smell just traveled back and got trapped at the back of the car.

So, I put in a new fuse up front by the battery. I realized that I had made a huge mistake previously by putting in a lower amperage fuse (idiot move!!!). No wonder it blew. Anyways, I put in the right fuse this time and everything powered up. The amp lit up so I assumed everything was now working. I turned on the stereo and nothing. No audio whatsoever. It is a 5 channel amp so it's powering everything.

Any suggestions? DO you know how I can test if the amp is toast?

System consists of a Pioneer GMD9605 5 channel amp and a Rockford Fosgate DSR1

Thanks!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1080 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Is my Amp done?

Googling “how to test an amp” brought up this nice video

------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I did watcha few videos including that one but was just wondering if someone with more knowledge would be able to offer some more insight.

Anyways, did a bunch of tests on the amp. It is getting full power at the terminal. The remote terminal also has power. The power light on the amp is on but nothing else is working. I used an rca to headphone jack and connected my phone to the amp. I did not hear any audio through the speakers. I'm assuming the amp is dead. Luckily, it is still under warranty. I'll just have to live without music for a few weeks to a month.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors