Feeler: Tail of the Dragon Trip - 6/13-6/16
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Feeler: Tail of the Dragon Trip - 6/13-6/16 within the North Eastern RS Owners forums, part of the Focus RS Regional Forums category; I've been wanting to make the trip down to the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina for over a decade, but just haven't done ...

Poll: Are you crazy enough to join?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Feeler: Tail of the Dragon Trip - 6/13-6/16

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been wanting to make the trip down to the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina for over a decade, but just haven't done it. Well, it looks like there's a Focus Fanatics event scheduled at the Dragon for June 14-16 (https://tailofthedragon.com/events/). I haven't dug up much on the event itself, but they're meeting/lodging at the Fontana Village Resort (300 Woods Rd, Fontana Dam, NC 28733), and they have a handful of options (single/double room, cabins, campsites) at a decent rate. When I looked yesterday, it was $123/night.

I started to work on the logistics of it, and have a rough timeline in the works. It's roughly 950 miles, and an 18.5-hour trip (accounting for (4) 30-minute pit-stops and 2 hours of traffic delays).

For anyone interested, my suggested starting point is the Charlton Service Plaza (Westbound); leaving either around 12pm-2pm (estimated arrival: 6am-8am) or 8pm-10pm on the 12th (estimated arrival: 2pm-4pm). Personally, we'd be heading back north around noon on Saturday the 15th since Sunday is Father's Day.

It's been quite some time since I've planned a convoy in the Marines, but I'm hoping to have a well-developed plan - should anyone be crazy enough to join.

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    hahah awesome work. there was a trip planned last year on this forum, "EB take over the dragon" or something. I drove over from Illinois and wound up driving the dragon around 1am in the fog with my fiance and our dog in the car... so that was alot of fun. i think we are planning another weekend meet again this year, check the events section for more info. it was at that same fontana village, WITH a firepit reserved!
    @Hoonigan @dkirby
    '99 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - totalled
    '08 Mazdaspeed3 - Sold
    '12 Mazdaspeed3- Sold

Current Toys
    '12 Ducati Diavel
    '18 Honda Grom
    '17 RS FW

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie13 View Post
    hahah awesome work. there was a trip planned last year on this forum, "EB take over the dragon" or something. I drove over from Illinois and wound up driving the dragon around 1am in the fog with my fiance and our dog in the car... so that was alot of fun. i think we are planning another weekend meet again this year, check the events section for more info. it was at that same fontana village, WITH a firepit reserved!
    @Hoonigan @dkirby
    I posted there too; essentially just directing people here for this particular trip/date. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make it for the May or September dates suggested in Events. There's a 90% chance that I'll make the trip regardless of any other interest, but traveling as a group is always more fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Interesting, a friend of mine from Integra circles that has been to the last three Team-Integra Dragon Runs is listed as the co-host of that Focus Fanatics event. He has two Subarus, a Yaris and an Integra, I wonder what his involvement with that group is about? (I did post on his FB wall asking about it)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryashi004 View Post
    I started to work on the logistics of it, and have a rough timeline in the works. It's roughly 950 miles, and an 18.5-hour trip (accounting for (4) 30-minute pit-stops and 2 hours of traffic delays).
    If you get ANY sort of extra time off, do yourself a favor and drive as much of Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Skyline Drive on the way up or down.
    seniorgeek likes this.
    2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
    If you get ANY sort of extra time off, do yourself a favor and drive as much of Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Skyline Drive on the way up or down.
    That is definitely on the agenda. For haha's, I manually plotted the route along the entirety of the BRP from the North Carolina border. That ended up at around 1150mi, and 22 hours of driving (BEFORE accounting for stoppage time).

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yeah, the speed limits on the two roads make for a time-consuming trip. A friend and I drove every single foot of both roads last year, took three days, but worth it !

I did hear back from Alex about the co-host thing, his g/f has a Focus and has always wanted to go, so he is helping putting things together

2017 Frozen White RS2
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, that was quite the trip for you, huh?!

I've done MA to FL for Disney, MA to NE for a half marathon (left Thursday, arrived Friday, ran Saturday, and started the drive home 2 hours after finishing), and plenty of trips from Camp Lejeune to MA, so I'm no stranger to long drives. Now, it's more of the free time and practicality of stuff with all the stuff that comes with life!
    MorningZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Brimfield, huh?! Thought I was the only RS in the immediate area

We towed the bikes down to the dragon a few years back. VERY worth the lengthy trip to get down there from MA! Would suggest taking a few extra days and venturing around the mountains. Some of the faster, still windy runs were more enjoyable and scenic - not to mention less congested.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DjMuzz View Post
    Brimfield, huh?! Thought I was the only RS in the immediate area [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.focusrs.org/forum/images/smilies/cheerful.png[/IMG]
    Hey, Sturbridge! We just moved to town in December, so maybe I'll see you around!

Unfortunately, we won't be able to take extra time. As is, it's virtually a down-and-back trip; save for the hotel stay. I'm going to try to work Skyline Drive and BRP, maybe one southbound and one northbound.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors