Can a Cobb Access Port v3 for an Ecoboost Mustang be repurpose for a RS? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Can a Cobb Access Port v3 for an Ecoboost Mustang be repurpose for a RS?

This is a discussion on Can a Cobb Access Port v3 for an Ecoboost Mustang be repurpose for a RS? within the Focus RS Performance forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Originally Posted by cornerexit I don't blame Cobb. In this day and age of piracy why would you blame a small company for protecting their ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Can a Cobb Access Port v3 for an Ecoboost Mustang be repurpose for a RS?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    635 times
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerexit View Post
    I don't blame Cobb. In this day and age of piracy why would you blame a small company for protecting their stuff? Also, if they didn't exist, good luck with tuning. I m happy they exist. I just find a sale and buy new.
    it's not about that, I don't think anyone blames Cobb for locking their devices down at all - it's about the fact that the AP v3 for every single car is identical yet they charge you for the difference in price based on what it is currently flashed for

So (in the case of @Raptor911 ) he bought a used EBM AP for $400. To get it to work for the RS this is his bill:

$400 (for the AP)
    $150 (to flash it to work with any other vehicle)
    $150 (the difference in cost between a new EBM AP and an RS AP)
    Total: $700

...or he could have just bought a new RS AP for $650 and saved $50 - but this hidden charge appeared after he bought the EBM AP

It's the same hardware, just a flash of the firmware - yet now he would have to pay more than the cost of a new AP to get it to work. If they didn't charge that difference he would have saved about $100 off of the price of a new AP.

And that was buying it used - if he bought it new for an EBM (say it was his last car) then he'd be another $100 in the hole to keep the device he currently owns and flash it to his new car
    Last edited by neox.286; 06-29-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Nitrous Blue RS2 - #5668
    Blackbird Fabworx | Tune+ | #teammishi

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1847 times
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neox.286 View Post
    it's not about that, I don't think anyone blames Cobb for locking their devices down at all - it's about the fact that the AP v3 for every single car is identical yet they charge you for the difference in price based on what it is currently flashed for

So (in the case of @Raptor911) he bought a used EBM AP for $400. To get it to work for the RS this is his bill:

$400 (for the AP)
    $150 (to flash it to work with any other vehicle)
    $150 (the difference in cost between a new EBM AP and an RS AP)
    Total: $700

...or he could have just bought a new RS AP for $650 and saved $50 - but this hidden charge appeared after he bought the EBM AP

It's the same hardware, just a flash of the firmware - yet now he would have to pay more than the cost of a new AP to get it to work. If they didn't charge that difference he would have saved about $100 off of the price of a new AP.

And that was buying it used - if he bought it new for an EBM (say it was his last car) then he'd be another $100 in the hole to keep the device he currently owns and flash it to his new car
    On the flip side, AP's hold their value decently. I'd sell the one I have for the car it's for. Take the proceeds from the sale and buy a new or used one for my current car. Cobb isn't Apple or Google. Relatively they are small. Look at what they do for the entire aftermarket community (not just the RS). They have a solid reputation, for their AP, their parts they manu, and their tuning capabilities. Even with our car, Mountune has been in a collaboration with Cobb for years. Gotta take the good with the bad. I wouldn't expect to buy an AP for a different car and just have it work for my RS without paying some decent mo eye for the change. You nickel and dime you'll pay for it.
    neox.286 likes this.
    Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    635 times
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    On the flip side, AP's hold their value decently. I'd sell the one I have for the car it's for. Take the proceeds from the sale and buy a new or used one for my current car. Cobb isn't Apple or Google. Relatively they are small. Look at what they do for the entire aftermarket community (not just the RS). They have a solid reputation, for their AP, their parts they manu, and their tuning capabilities. Even with our car, Mountune has been in a collaboration with Cobb for years. Gotta take the good with the bad. I wouldn't expect to buy an AP for a different car and just have it work for my RS without paying some decent mo eye for the change. You nickel and dime you'll pay for it.
    oh absolutely - it's a very quality device for such a small company

but if they are going to charge for a reflash (which makes total sense), they shouldn't charge for the difference in cost of the exact same unit as well. either do one charge or the other, but not both
    Nitrous Blue RS2 - #5668
    Blackbird Fabworx | Tune+ | #teammishi

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    461 times
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I don't blame Cobb. In this day and age of piracy why would you blame a small company for protecting their stuff? Also, if they didn't exist, good luck with tuning. I m happy they exist. I just find a sale and buy new.
    Ahem...tuning option. Or, from across the pond.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors