AWD issues - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

AWD issues

This is a discussion on AWD issues within the Focus RS Performance forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Well remember, when you have a ratio that increase the rotation rate of the output it also reduces the torque... So if the front wheels ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: AWD issues

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1150 times
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Well remember, when you have a ratio that increase the rotation rate of the output it also reduces the torque... So if the front wheels have 300 lb ft of torque available to them and you have a 1:1.2 front wheel:rear wheel ratio the rear can't put down 300 lb ft, it will be something less. I don't know the math, but if I were to guess that a 20% rotation rate increase results in 20% torque decrease the rear could do ~240 lb ft assuming the front had 0 load.
    2016 NB RS1 Forged w/ Cup 2s and Winter W&T Package

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRS View Post
    Could you say where you got the 1.4/1 number? That's a 40% overspeed, and a GKN tech said that it was something like 1 tenth of that (I'll try to find the quote and the exact percentage).
    I thought I heard one of the engineers mention that ratio in one of the videos. I also heard them say that if you put the car on a lift (all wheels off the ground) then you'd get that magic 30/70 split (I'm presuming the RDU is essentially locking the clutches), but that the number really is nothing more than theory, as the software will constantly change the torque being fed to each of the rear wheels in any real-world scenario.

My feeling is that in order to get meaningful torque vectoring the overdrive is going to have to be "significant". 1 or 2% is meaningless, and my gut says 5% doesn't get the job done. I'd expect something on the order of 20% or more would seem to be necessary in order to really overcome the understeer that is inherent in FWD cars.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    749 times
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Can we please close this thread.

The original poster ( or abbreviated OP) is a Tangerine Scream 2014 ST,ST3 owner from Calgary,AB and has 87 posts in the ST Forum.

I could be wrong, but I think he started this thread partially as a "troll bait thread" and partially because he wants an RS, but it may not be feasible to him to get a RS at this time and he was trying to justify his "not-buying remorse"

We have had plenty of very,very good threads discussing all or almost all aspects of the RS GKN AWD system. The title of this thread "AWD Issues" is somewhat misleading and premature because none of us have actually experienced any RS AWD issues, mainly because none of us have the car yet. Now maybe if Ken Block or Raj Nair and his team care to chime in, other than their big eight advertising teaser videos, we could possibly be enlightened to any RS AWD issues.

So as @Slider said so succinctly IBTL => in before the lock ===> implying I agree this thread should at a minimum be locked/closed and maybe better just removed.

LET'S CLOSE THIS THREAD!

Peace, GoodWill, Motor On RS, YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. - Exist2Resist - I hope you get a RS in the future and that you do not encounter any AWD issues.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Shoey likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1153 times
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    https://www.reddit.com/user/exist2resist

View Profile: Exist2Resist - Ford Focus ST Forum

some of his profiles elsewhere. I haven't looked to see if he's just a normal troll or just an RS troll.
    -Dave
    DD/HPDE: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE || Rotting ex-DD: 1995 BMW M3 || Tow Vehicle: 2004 Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || And another 2000 Integra GS-R

Too many cars.. never.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7736 times
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Shutting this down since no actual proof was presented. We'll all have to wait and see for ourselves about this claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, re-circ valve, and Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decal, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST (Daughter)
    2016 Stealth Grey RS2, Dewey: Order placed: 30OCT2015, Built: 3MAY2016, Delivered: 31AUG2016! HG repair 31JAN18, surgery complete 9MAR18 and back home.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors