The Oil Catch Can Thread - Page 35
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

The Oil Catch Can Thread

This is a discussion on The Oil Catch Can Thread within the Focus RS Performance forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Installed PCV and Mountune breather plate around 76xx. Emptied the PCV around 96xx and got this much out (<25cc): I did the turkey baster technique, ...

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: The Oil Catch Can Thread

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Installed PCV and Mountune breather plate around 76xx. Emptied the PCV around 96xx and got this much out (<25cc):

I did the turkey baster technique, do you think I didn’t get enough out? Should I go back in and siphon again?

My climate has been in the 20s and 30s since install. I don’t drive it hard on the daily.
    2018 GoFast
    1997 TurnFast

I don't like the looks of this racer. I bet I've wrecked on more tracks than he's driven.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have the JBR catch can and just emptied it a couple of days ago. About 3k miles since the last drain, and 24,xxx miles on the car. I've been stock and tuned during those 3k miles. I daily drive it, and the weather has been all over the place lately. Probably averaging upper 30's but have seen as cold as -15 and as warm as 50's. I got a bunch of liquid compared to most of the posts I'm seeing here. I'm talking like 7-8 ounces. Not really any oil, seems mostly like water and fuel. Has a decently strong fuel odor and the color of coffee with a lot of cream in it. Starting to worry this isn't normal?
    The DD - 2017 SG RS w/ RS2: Neuspeed rse102's | Eibach Springs | MBRP SS Catback | Green Filter | Mountune SSC | Turbosmart BOV | JBR Catch Can | NGK Plugs | Tuned by Mountune | JBR Short Shifter Arm | JBR Heavy Shift Knob
    The Money Pit - 1937 Ford Rat Rod Truck: Too much time and money to list....

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just ordered a radium pcv catch can. What's the consensus on a breather plate? Is it necessary or a nice extra?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    726 times
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    personal opinion is to get one.

your already in the area to install it, and its an added benefit for/with a catch can

Quote Originally Posted by 12Axes View Post
    Just ordered a radium pcv catch can. What's the consensus on a breather plate? Is it necessary or a nice extra?

2017 Frost White - RS2 - Built 11/15/2016

Moonroof - Forged Wheels /w PSS - Mountune V2X Exhaust - CP-E Intake (White) - Revo SSC - NBStyling Hood Lift
    Mountune Sport Springs - Mountune Re-Circ Valve - Mountune Breather Plate - Rally Armor Mud Flaps (Blue)
    Steeda Jack Rails - Perrin Shorty Antenna - Breedt Quick Shift Arm - Tran and Cable Bushings by Aracheon
    Whiteline F/R Sway Bar - Anarchy-Motive Snowball Shift Knob - ADF Customs Skid Plate (White) - Dual Radium Catch Cans

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I didn't trust my first drain so I actually unscrewed the canister yesterday and emptied about another ~12cc of oil. I figure I just didn't siphon out all of it the first time around so in about 3k miles ~25cc of oil has been trapped by the catch can. That's significantly less than others on here are getting. I wonder if the breather plate is helping?
    2018 GoFast
    1997 TurnFast

I don't like the looks of this racer. I bet I've wrecked on more tracks than he's driven.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just ordered the Radium can and breather plate. Oh and a rear engine mount whilst I was there....Cant wait to get rid of that on-ramp hop....
    In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is King

2018 RR

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrygold View Post
    Yes, lots of condensation being trapped in the catch cans in the colder months. Looks Normal to me.

This is partly the reasoning why it’s been said that it’s best to get the oil up to operating temperature and driven for several minutes in an attempt to burn off this condensation.

^ I 2nd this.

For those who are new to using catch cans and experience cooler/cold weather (especially those in northern climates), this is very typical of what gets trapped inside of an oil catch can. The same thing can happen (a frothy oil mixture) when you take a look under your oil fill cap in the winter. Tends to happen when very frequent, short trips are made because the fluids (oil) don't get a chance to reach full operating temp and burn off any water vapor (think 212F when water boils).
    '17 SG RS2

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEm18RSLE View Post
    Just ordered the Radium can and breather plate. Oh and a rear engine mount whilst I was there....Cant wait to get rid of that on-ramp hop....
    This too funny. I just bought the exact same things. Do I have a doppelgänger?

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Joined the catch can club with a Radium breather plate and PCV catch can.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My valves looked pretty good. Just under 4k mi on the motor.

Madokami likes this.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors