Dash rattling at the windshield
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Dash rattling at the windshield within the Focus RS TroubleShooting forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; I have been chasing this rattle for a while now and finally found where it was coming from. The strange thing is that it only ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DJZ
  • 1 Post By DJZ

Thread: Dash rattling at the windshield

Supporting Member

Sacratucky area of the People’s Republic of Commiefornia
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have been chasing this rattle for a while now and finally found where it was coming from. The strange thing is that it only happens when the weather warms up. In the morning, on my way to work it is not there, but on the way home after the car has been sitting outside all day, there would be a constant buzzy rattle on anything but smooth pavement.

For now, I have resolved it by wedging a length of vacuum hose between the windshield and dashboard. Any ideas on a proper fix for this?

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have this same issue, still ongoing. Take it in to a dealer, they might just need to order you a new dash.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The last thing I want is to have the dealer tear the entire interior out of my car to replace the dash. They would probably fix one rattle and leave me with 30 new ones.

I want to fix this myself if I can.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Check the mirror attachment to the windshield and your e-brake button.
    2017 Shadow Black Focus RS

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I know for sure it is the front edge of the dash causing the rattle, I have already fixed the mirrors and e-brake button rattles. Wedging the vacuum line in between the dash and windshield 100% removed this rattle. Now that I know the ghetto fabulous fix, I want to find a good long term solution.
    320icar likes this.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJZ View Post
    I know for sure it is the front edge of the dash causing the rattle, I have already fixed the mirrors and e-brake button rattles. Wedging the vacuum line in between the dash and windshield 100% removed this rattle. Now that I know the ghetto fabulous fix, I want to find a good long term solution.
    I hear you man and I know you hate to hear it but unless you're willing to tear the dash out yourself, it seems the dealer is the best route.

If you remove the gauge cluster up top you can stick your phone camera in there and take a photo. There are some Torx screws holding the plastic panel down. How you get in there is a bloody mystery to me. Maybe if you get some ultra low profile Torx screwdrivers, you might be able to tighten it but it's a weird angle with no line of sight. Even then, I'm not 100% sure the Torx screws are what's holding it down.

I've removed the entire center console only to find a dead end. I guess if you're willing to brace it agains't the windshield and leave it, that solves the problem indefinitely.

I'd like some confirmation what exactly holds that piece of plastic down as well. Even if the dash is replaced, it might come back, and a warranty lasts only for so long.
    Last edited by SenderPiggins; 04-29-2019 at 07:16 PM.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Got my car back from the dealer with the rattle fixed. FWIW they have a kit from Rotunda they use, Part# 164-R4900, Squeak and Rattle Repair Kit. Tested it myself, no more issues. It might come back, but just tapping on the plastic it sounds more secure than before.

When I picked the car up all the service guys had gone home, so there was nobody there to tell me know they got everything out, but from what I can tell the plastic piece is attached to the foam covered part of the dash. They definitely took the center console out.

Maybe you can ask this guy for pictures from the backside. Or maybe check the ST or standard focus forums. They're the same parts.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I finally isolated the noise to the defrost vent outlets just behind the windshield rattling against the dashboard on the passenger side. I pulled the glove box out and was able to get to the underside of them and wedged a bunch of backer rod (basically a foam cylinder used in construction to fill cracks before you caulk) in there. I no longer get the annoying plastic on plastic rattle when I tap the dashboard, but I want to give it a few days before I declare victory.
    Focus_Pocus likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors