Ford Focus RS Forum banner

J0shM1lls' FW RS2 Build Thread!

76K views 260 replies 71 participants last post by  Loading Stealth Mode 
#1 · (Edited)

This is the story of my RS and her progress from stock to "DriftZilla".

First off, let's take a look at her specs 'as-ordered'.

• 2016 Ford Focus RS
  • Frozen White
  • RS2 Package
  • 19" Forged Alloy Wheels
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sports
  • Moon Roof
  • RS Branded Car Cover

DriftZilla's Order-to-Delivery Timeline

StatusDate
Order Placed12OCT15
Selected for Scheduling12NOV15
Scheduled to Day21APR16
Built04MAY16
Shipped to Port18MAY16
Shipped via "Asian Empire"31MAY16
Received at Port24JUN16
Entered Mod Center24JUN16
Released to Port Yard28JUN16
Received by Shipper01JUL16
Arrived at Dealer01JUL16
Took Delivery01JUL16

When we first met at Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park, CA

Driving her home for the first time

First 'Mod' after getting her home - Focus emblem debadged!

Her First Bath and Detail

Getting Her Tinted (20%)

Thinkware F770 Installed!

Installing my mountune High Flow Induction kit!

I spent about 10 hours washing, glazing, sealing and waxing - then installed my Rally Armor Mud Flaps!

Installing my mountune QuickShift!

Installing my mountune Charge Pipes and Re-Circulation valve!

DMB Black Spoiler Inlays finally arrived!

Before

After

mountune Roll Restrictor Installed!

Stock vs mountune Roll Restrictors

Stock vs mountune Roll Restrictors Profile Shot

Installed!

Steeda Jacking Rails Install!

AWE Track Edition Exhaust Install!

See less See more
9 21
#211 ·
Haha no, its always been 7. Could've used another letter :)

#212 ·
@j0shm1lls - Dude just read this whole thread. Still waiting on my car to get out of production but I think I'm going to copy your entire build process.

Only question I had is would you recommend waiting until I get some breakin miles on the car or do it right away
thx

Reactions: j0shm1lls
#214 ·
@j0shm1lls - Dude just read this whole thread. Still waiting on my car to get out of production but I think I'm going to copy your entire build process.

Only question I had is would you recommend waiting until I get some break in miles on the car or do it right away
thx
Hey! Thanks for the kind words - makes me feel better about the effort I put in to the thread and my car when people appreciate it! :)

I installed all my hard parts early on in the process - like REAL early. I wouldn't hesitate on installing things that can be put back to stock 'should anything happen' and you need to take it in for service. I waited until around 750 miles to get my mountune tune in for two reasons - one it just wasn't available until then and two I did want to get at least 500 break in miles on the motor before adding significant power to the mix. I guess my break in process worked because Randy at mountune had to reign in the tune just a little as he said "it's stronger than most other's he's seen". Lots of medium+ acceleration pulls and engine breaking.

@j0shm1lls While we're reminiscing about your build, wanted to ask your advice. I know that installing the Mountune QwikShift has proven a little difficult for some folks, particularly getting the pin out of the OEM mechanism. I've been hammering on that bugger for two days and it's not budging. Any ideas? Think it would help at all if I heated the OEM arm up some with a heat gun? Maybe I'm just not putting enough oomph on it - I don't know. I'm not as young as I used to be - lol!!
Yeah that thing SUCKED! lol. I banged on it for about 30 minutes and it didn't move, I sprayed some WD-40 in both ends of the roll pin and let it sit there for about five minutes and started tapping away again and voila! it started moving. It just needed a lil lube and some gentle taps! :)

Reactions: Zeroescence
#213 ·
@j0shm1lls While we're reminiscing about your build, wanted to ask your advice. I know that installing the Mountune QwikShift has proven a little difficult for some folks, particularly getting the pin out of the OEM mechanism. I've been hammering on that bugger for two days and it's not budging. Any ideas? Think it would help at all if I heated the OEM arm up some with a heat gun? Maybe I'm just not putting enough oomph on it - I don't know. I'm not as young as I used to be - lol!!

#215 ·
@Josh,
Would you recommend the air filter mod or is it just more noise?
ie which is your fav mod and least fav?
Tia.

#218 ·
Hey Paolo!
Yeah I think an upgraded filter is a must. While it does increase engine noise - its for the better, I think its too quiet stock. I'm sure it does also flow more air but just how much no clue.

As far as most favorite mod - either the Intake filter (more noise) or the tune (definite increase in power).

I don't really have a least favorite, but if I had to do without one it'd probably be the rear motor mount - even though it reduces wheel hop and gets more power to the ground.

You rock, man. Now why didn't you show that little gem in your video :smile-new: ?? You did a real service to most of the rest of us - it's always helpful to see somebody do a task instead of having to read instructions that aren't always clearly illustrated.
Thanks man I appreciate it! I forgot to hit record unfortunately, I texted @Zeroescence to see how he got his out and he's the one that gave me the WD-40 tip :)

@j0shm1lls Got 'er done. Thanks for the tip - easy peasy :)!!
Nice - Congrats!

#216 ·
You rock, man. Now why didn't you show that little gem in your video :smile-new: ?? You did a real service to most of the rest of us - it's always helpful to see somebody do a task instead of having to read instructions that aren't always clearly illustrated.

#219 ·
Thanks Josh,

I will probably save for the tune than the filter at this stage.
Hope you car is rocking. Mine is on a cargo ship making its long way home....

Thinking about mods at this stage and your thread RoX!! :)

#222 ·
I managed to get my Steeda Jacking Rails in today... Made a video while I was at it too! :)

#224 ·
Do you know the approximate weight of the rails?I'm considering adding them to my 2017.
Hey Eric! They weigh 8 or 9 lbs each. For the utility they provide, it's worth the weight to me. I'll just go on a diet to compensate :)

#225 ·
So these showed up today... YAY more stuff to install!

My Euro Center console

And the replacement USB module

Reactions: KingZee
#226 ·
I just did the Euro console, was kind of a pain in the ass. When you put it back in remember to keep the wires routed on the passenger side as I had to rip it back apart after stupidly not thinking about it when routed the wires along the clips. Also make sure to align the shifter stuff as you will get panel gaps like I have (was too frustrated to go back and align it, someday.....).

Also where in the rear did you jack up the car in the jacking rail vid? I been trying to figure out a safe place to do it but honestly not to sure of myself.

#227 ·
Thanks for the install tips! I'll try and keep that all in mind tomorrow. :)

Here's a pic of where I jacked up the rear. I highlighted the area in yellow for clarity.

Reactions: JTPitsch
#228 ·
I got my Euro Center Console installed today... Tons of work but it was totally worth it! :)

#230 ·
I got my Euro Center Console installed today... Tons of work but it was totally worth it! :)
Agree on the "tons of work" part but looks fairly straightforward. Nice Job. Now where does the USB connector go?

#234 ·
Got my AWE Track Edition Exhaust (W/Diamond Black Tips) installed over the weekend! Its loud - like REALLY loud. It pleases me :D

#236 ·
Got my AWE Track Edition Exhaust (W/Diamond Black Tips) installed over the weekend! Its loud - like REALLY loud. It pleases me :D
That sure is a minimalist system! I'd have to hear it in person but I suspect it would be too loud for my tastes, and it won't pass the 90Db sound check at Laguna Seca, but it sounds nice from the vid. Do you expect any extra attention from cops or is it not that crazy when you're simply cruzin?

Tips look nice.

#235 ·
Looks/sounds great and you lost some weight in the rear now. Impressed with the looks of the AWE as well as their pricing, I assume you like it?

Side note: I don't know how you get under a car without eye protection, it must be because you're in California and don't see rust. There are other things besides rust that can collect on the underside though so be careful. After having my cornea drilled out because a metal sliver managed to drop in it the first thing I do when getting under a car is eye protection. :twocents::victorious:

#238 ·
Thank you! Yeah AWE is quality stuff and I couldn't say no with their pricing. I do like the sound quite a bit - It can be a little loud while engine braking, but the increased sound during all other circumstances make the car feel like it deserves the RS badge. :)

I can appreciate the eye protection - I just couldn't find my clear work glasses and I didn't want to scratch up my sunglasses. Fear not - I've since found the clear ones though. :pirate:

That sure is a minimalist system! I'd have to hear it in person but I suspect it would be too loud for my tastes, and it won't pass the 90Db sound check at Laguna Seca, but it sounds nice from the vid. Do you expect any extra attention from cops or is it not that crazy when you're simply cruzin?

Tips look nice.
It is definitely built to get the exhaust gases from the engine out the back as quick as possible without any interference! :) It is quite loud so I'm sure its not for everyone, but so far as long as I keep it in "Normal mode" and don't get all rev happy it hasn't drawn any unwanted attention. Engine braking is probably when its at its loudest. If I had a DB meter I'd measure for you, but alas I don't.

I noticed you placed the jack stand prongs right on the edge of the pinch weld- how did it not get crushed? I cant find a place in the pinch welds to support the prongs because of the body cladding.

How is the AWE Track exhaust at highway cruising speed?
There's a little arrow on the sideskirt that shows roughly where I placed my jack stands; I haven't had any issues with the pinch welds bending or deforming at all. The exhaust is pretty tame while cruising on the freeway actually, you can still hold a conversation without having to yell lol. I asked my wife if it was too loud, and she said "no not at all, I like it"... :cool:

#239 · (Edited)
I got my Headgasket FSA done last week, so to celebrate (lol not really) - I wrapped my roof gloss black over the weekend!

#248 ·
Looks great! I've been researching a ton on how to remove the antenna for the RS. I plan on having the roof wrapped but the shop seems a bit mediocore at best and I don't want them to do anything that would stretch the headliner. Do you have any tips? I looked at this diagram but am a little confused.

Yellow Product Automotive exterior Vehicle Bag

#241 ·
It was surprisingly easy. I just watched a bunch of YouTube vids and winged it. The hardest part was the prep of course, getting the antenna off was a pain... There are 1 or 2 spots where I'm not entirely happy, I cut the edge too short in one spot and there's a small bubble in a corner. Over all though, it looks great and whenever I do it again it should be a breeze.

#242 ·
Nice job man. I'd say it makes quite a difference in the appearance too!

I opened my wallet and had a place do my roof but they were super meticulous about it. Took of the wing, rain gutter covers, of course the antenna to make sure no edges could be seen and it came out flawless.

#243 ·
It looks great! Yes, that antenna was a real commitment - it takes guts to yank on those interior panels hard enough to pop them off. Some shops around here are cutting a hole in the wrap then dropping it down over the antenna then a quick trim, but it never looks as clean if you examine closely.

Jim

#244 ·
Nice job man. I'd say it makes quite a difference in the appearance too!
I opened my wallet and had a place do my roof but they were super meticulous about it. Took of the wing, rain gutter covers, of course the antenna to make sure no edges could be seen and it came out flawless.
Thank you! I also removed my wing, drip rail covers on top of the antenna - Its a lot of work but worth it.

It looks great! Yes, that antenna was a real commitment - it takes guts to yank on those interior panels hard enough to pop them off. Some shops around here are cutting a hole in the wrap then dropping it down over the antenna then a quick trim, but it never looks as clean if you examine closely.
Jim
Thanks! I was worried I was pulling too hard on those panels but it all went back together nicely with no added rattles. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the mirrors with the left over wrap...

#247 ·
Thanks! I was worried I was pulling too hard on those panels but it all went back together nicely with no added rattles. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the mirrors with the left over wrap...
Go for it! If you don't already have one Harbor Freight sells a nice, adjustable heat gun for peanuts. and it really helps on those compound curves. You can always peel it off and that try leopard skin pattern you were eyeballin'!

#250 ·
#255 ·
Didnt he sell the RS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who me? Nope! I still have it and am keeping it for the long haul! :)

wow what a nice build you have. Anything else you will do to it?
Thank you! Well, since my last update, I installed the Euro rear headrests and the Euro Radio Bezel. it looks soooo much better than the piano gloss black "Sony" bezel. I'm not sure what else I can do to it at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.