Ford Focus RS Forum banner

The Autocross Thread

540K views 3K replies 226 participants last post by  buttdyno 
#1 · (Edited)
Who plans to autocross their RS?
any bets on what class it will end up in? I hope it falls into BS for competition sake, but due to the limited availability of it, I wont be surprised if it gets buried in AS. Either way I plan to run it locally at Ft Devens and try to make a few national events. I realize its a ways off before this car will be driven in anger, but its never to soon to dream about it.

currently I like to dream about the tail getting a bit loose mid corner from a slightly hot entry and then instead of giving it up I get back down on the gas and power past the apex and exit the corner under nearly full boost.
the best part about this dream is that soon it will be a reality.

#1,455 ·
I was flipping every ~45 runs, on average.

Also, my biggest hangup with driving to events on the "race" tires was the fact that a puncture would royally suck. Less risk involved with swapping, but you could always break a stud or something too.

I daily drove the RE-71Rs on my STX BRZ all last year. 7500-ish street miles, 7 hours of hard track time, 90+ autocross runs, and perfectly even wear... You'd have to flip often to do that on the RS with its minimal camber, but it's certainly doable.

#1,456 ·
Follow up on the Nexens.

I ran them today on asphalt, and as underwhelmed as I was with them on concrete, they are very impressive on asphalt. I was actually hitting cones on corner entry because there was so much more grip/turn in than I was expecting. It took a few runs to adjust my driving to them. They also seem to be a lot easier to drive on the limit than the stones. Some day I hope to try the Rival 1.5s, but I'd be very comfortable recommending the Nexens for anyone that runs only/mostly asphalt.

Here's my fastest run for the day, certainly not perfect, but it was good enough for 1st in PAX.

https://youtu.be/ePG_68UPdTs

#1,457 ·
So, I did my first autocross event over the weekend. The RS & I took 1st in the novice division of 22 entries (my time would've actually been decent in the B Street class had I gone that route too!)

The RS is hands down amazing, I loved it.

Additional shoutout to @neutral for the ride alongs and putting the only other RS at the event on the podium as well!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Driving Steering wheel Steering part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Asphalt Autocross

Text Font Document Paper Parallel

#1,459 ·
Alright, I'll bite on the advice thing - After all, I am an instructor. At 20 seconds into the video, you early apexed the left hander. Get out wider on the entrance to the turn, turn in sharply and try to get most of your turning done before you reach the apex cone. That way, you can be straightening the steering earlier and adding power earlier as well, giving you a faster exit speed from the corner and a faster speed down the entire following straight. Late apexing is one of the real keys to speed in autocrossing.

#1,466 · (Edited)
Bye, bye Focus. It was a good six weeks or so. Thanks everyone for the advice while it lasted. Onto another Ford.....

View attachment 191401

Time to sell the Focus autocross stuff to afford new stuff.
For those that are unaware, I made the same move a few weeks back... and I chatted with you on FB, @rocket71

I got to drive an RS again today though for a single run at autocross... Was 15th in PAX with one run :p Then I drove an Evo X a few runs later and was 7th in PAX (if you ignore a couple of cones...) The X is easier to drive, but I think the RS is faster but harder to get the speed out of it.

edit: figured I'd clarify, it was like 5 tenths difference over ~44 seconds. Not much...

#1,468 ·
Nice addition! Honestly after autocrossing the GT350 a couple times I'm looking forward to going back to the RS...With the 350, a couple things to remember....First, you have some of the best brakes on a car...so dont be afraid to brake late and resist the urge to shift...I found better times by leaving it in first on tighter courses....It's so atypical to think a Mustang is going to rev as high as the GT350 does but that's also where the car really shines....Have fun!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DocWalt
#1,469 ·
When I autocrossed my Miata I was typically 6 seconds off ftd on a 70 second course, the fastest car would run a 69 and I'd run a 75. Ftd typically belonged to a csp miata with a good driver. My Miata was pretty much STR car. I got my first autox in the RS on the fifth, I am hoping to be with 3 seconds of my Miata time, am I being realistic?

For reference last event I codrove a focus ST with coilovers and very worn out nt05 tires, I was 6 seconds off my Miata time, so hoping for the RS to be 3 seconds faster than that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#1,477 · (Edited)
When I autocrossed my Miata I was typically 6 seconds off ftd on a 70 second course, the fastest car would run a 69 and I'd run a 75. Ftd typically belonged to a csp miata with a good driver. My Miata was pretty much STR car. I got my first autox in the RS on the fifth, I am hoping to be with 3 seconds of my Miata time, am I being realistic?
I run on par with str in my BS car. I have 255 re71r which you may not but if you aren't within 3 seconds of your Miata times I would consider the day a failure. Call it 2 seconds behind your Miata if you are on stock rs tires.

#1,511 ·
Hi guys, I plan on adding a Turbosmart BPV and IWG. With these installed could you run in ASP?

Turbochargers and/or superchargers (forced induction) may not be
added, changed, or modified (this does not allow ceramic coating of
turbochargers). On vehicles originally equipped with forced induction:
a. No hardware changes or alterations to turbocharger(s) or
supercharger(s), in size or number, are permitted. Turbochargers or
superchargers may be updated/backdated only in conjunction with
the accompanying complete engine unit.
b. No changes are allowed to waste gate(s) size, number, or location.
No changes are allowed to variable-geometry turbine (VGT) hardware.
c. No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system pulleys. Belt
tensioners may be added/changed to reduce belt slip.
d. No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves.
e. Compressor bypass valves (CBVs) are considered part of the air in- take system and may be added, replaced, or updated/backdated in- dependently of the other components of a forced induction system.
f. Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and elec- tronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modi- fied except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting
from authorized changes are permitted.
Is the IWG-75 the same size as stock? Am I interpreting the rules correctly? I'm a bit of a mechanical nub, so forgive dumb questions.

#1,517 ·
Hi guys, I plan on adding a Turbosmart BPV and IWG. With these installed could you run in ASP?

Is the IWG-75 the same size as stock? Am I interpreting the rules correctly? I'm a bit of a mechanical nub, so forgive dumb questions.
If anyone is able to answer this, hoping they can help me out as well.

Currently competing in STU (lowering springs, catback, drop-in filter).

Next season I plan to add:
FMIC
Tune
Catch cans and baffle plate
Camber plates and/or coilovers

Does this put me in STU, ASP, or SM? Or something else altogether? I'd like to avoid SM if I can, since its waaay more competitive than any other class in my local club, and I'm a rookie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.