Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Unofficial Sync 3 3.0 update

231K views 346 replies 116 participants last post by  MorningZ 
#1 ·
#202 ·
I have just updated my 2016 Focus RS to SYNC3 version 3.0. It still seems to be just as screwed up as ever... My main beef is that the nav volume is fixed and the volume level is so low I cannot reliably hear what is said. The other issue I have is with the USB music playback. When I insert a USB stick with multiple albums on it, SYNC3 reads everything and mangles the music into one list of songs rather than playing them in the order they are on the memory stick (like every other vehicle I own does!). Has anyone had any luck getting Ford's or the SYNC3 software team's attention???

#220 ·
hi guys

my upgrade went well. im now at 18261. upgrade took no longer than 5-6 minutes and didnt get any black screens.

i used the following autoinstall script

Code:
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
;Application - 446Mb Sync3 v3.0.18261 18.09.2018
Item1 = JR3T-14G381-AN
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AN.tar.gz

;43Kb Interrogator_Log/utloggingutility
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-AB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction

#221 ·
Hey Guys,

I just completed this update with success and no black screen. Updated from 18093. I used the same process as last time.

The script i used that worked with the last 2 updates and no issues is as per the below.

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = 3.0.18261
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AN.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include

Only took a couple of minutes to install and that was with a crappy slow usb stick.

#224 ·
#230 ·
Yes I’m annoyed that those of us with 2017 vehicles are maxed out on sync 3.0...why should hardware affect what software it can have? Don’t both sync versions do the same except sync3.3 has radio stations in colour and allows you to set a specified number of preset stations stored?

#232 ·
True! Worse yet, we can't upgrade the damn thing. Freaking nonsense, making non-replaceable head units. Argh. This means the sluggish head unit we have now is the sluggish head unit we will have forever. No wireless Android Auto either. There are so many awesome aftermarket units available, but Ford made a bad design decision

#238 ·

I'd be interested in that radio above.... if I wasn't the guinea pig for it :)

Kinda funny about that radio linked to above, some friends and I put an Android-tablet based head unit into a TSX and my one friend was like "I wish I had CarPlay"... i had him buy the USB dongle like they mention in the description and it actually freaking works! CarPlay running on Android is so wrong! lol

Car Multimedia Vehicle Electronics Technology

#243 ·
FWIW

Talked to some Ford vehicle systems engineers last week at a conference.

Sync 4 will support wireless Android Auto (and although unconfirmed, almost certainly CarPlay). Sync 3.x units will never be upgraded to do so, as the underlying OS is completely different. Although powerful enough hardware to do so, Ford isn't going to invest in it. Some Ford 2020 models will start sporting 4.x in the coming months.

So if you're looking for wireless, start looking aftermarket.

#244 ·
No surprise. That's always the biggest concern for me with in-dash units - that you will get stuck with whatever was out that year. They don't have much of an incentive to keep things updated from their end

#269 · (Edited)
Just to clarify before I take the leap, is this update just unzip to root and plug into car? I've got the build18093 on my 2018 with Nav and I remember there being more of a process for 2.2 to the 3.0. I may need to go back and read this thread from the beginning again.

Thanks for any hints out there.

#259 ·
So I was experiencing ERR_MEM003 oft reported by users. Tried some work-arounds, no dice. Dealer ended up ordering a new Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM). Part's pretty expensive online, so I recommend not procrastinating on getting to a dealer for a fix while it's still under warranty

#260 ·
Exactly what problems were you having that made you take it into the dealer?

I ask because my sync has become super laggy(from 30 seconds to over a minute to respond to an input on the screen) and tends to freeze or lose features completely until the vehicle is shut off then restarted. The other day GPS wouldn't load at all. I've tried many master resets, but the problem is still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.