Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Unofficial Update- Sync3 v2.2 with Android Auto and Apple*Car Play

369K views 867 replies 256 participants last post by  Jpky16 
#1 · (Edited)
I do not take credit for this, nor am I responsible if it does any damage. However, this has been confirmed to work for dozens of RS owners.

Instructions:

Choose the appropriate update below based on navigation or non-navigation head unit. To perform update, you will need a flash drive formatted in "exFAT" or "Fat32" format at least 2GB in size. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR SOFTWARE/RADIO ISSUES.

Apple CarPlay will require an updated USB hub to work. USB hub part number HU5Z-19A387-A The hub is not required for the update but Apple CarPlay will NOT work until you switch to the updated hub.
https://www.worldoemparts.com/worldfordparts/oe-ford/hu5z19a387a

Here is the new download links from Ford Direct for Navigation Equipped
Navigation Equipped: http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-package/715283556826568730/HN1T-14G381-LG.zip

Here are the old download links (someone uploaded to Google Drive)
Download link for navigation units, read-me in zip file (total size 1.6 GB).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9VXdRFNhi2pJUqI3tkKrP7zBNLsQ
Download link for non-navigation unit, read-me in zip file, TWO PART INSTALL READ CAREFULLY(total size 2.15GB)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9VXdRFNhi2pJUs7d7qZucSY2aLhw

This update is confirmed*working on:
Fusion
Fiesta
Focus
Mustang
F-150
FOCUS RS

Adding a how-to video that someone made (NOT ME).

See less See more
#229 · (Edited)
But this software is already out in the field on late 2016's and all 2017 models....... this is the official software just not downloading it through their hub. in fact the owner.ford.com portal is down right now because of excessive requests of people trying to use it.

as a long time hacker what you are expecting of the average joe technician is pretty big.

#244 · (Edited)
Count me in the group that isn't doing this until official release. I'm in this "group" due to past dealership experiences with my 2004 5-spd Ranger. At ~19K miles my pressure plate unknowingly failed. It took Borman Autoplex in Las Cruces, NM over 2 weeks to figure this out and get my truck back to me. Initially they tried blaming me for "racing" the truck. Apparently they pulled diagnostic data showing my shifting of around 3K RPM. I think manual calls for normal shifts at 2250 to 2500 RPM. I was taught to drive stick via shifting by sound over watching the tach in my mothers '92 explorer; this was the same way I drove my '93 5-spd ranger too, both had same the 4.0L OHV. The '04 ranger has the 4.0L SOHC and a quieter (though not by much) interior, thus my shifting at higher RPM. I don't feel like arguing with the dealership like I had to with my Ranger. Never mind them trying to void my warranty when I foolishly mentioned I'd off-roaded the truck. GEE....WTF do you think I'm going to do when you (FORD) sell me a 4x4 ranger with the FX4 Level II package (4.10 gears, 31 in BFG AT, aft, mid, and front skid plates, yada yada yada). This is also the same reason why when I went to the RS's dealership for my license plates and 1k miles oil change and my sales rep askes me if I've gotten on it yet, my answer is no, still driving her nice to break in the engine. It's mostly true, I just haven't gone over 4k RPM.

I have personal problems at the moment as well, which is why I've also opted to not secure a hub (though I had the ability to as of 1pm today) as well that's $70 I can use towards gas for priorities, adulting sucks.

in fact the owner.ford.com portal is down right now because of excessive requests of people trying to use it.
Dunno when it went down, but I was logged in around 3:30p CST to check for updates. Currently logged in right now and show a last confirmed update of 11 Dec 2016. However, if I click on Full SYNC History all I show is:

Date ConfirmedVersion
Jul 20, 2016SYNC3 V.10

When I checked around 3:30p Owner.Ford.com showed the same, as did the car.

#238 ·
I will have the dealer do this update, anybody know if I need to uninstall the tune (cobb) prior to taking it to the dealer? I just want to make sure nothing gets screwed up, i dont care if the dealer knows the car is tuned.

#247 ·
I do not take credit for this, nor am I responsible if it does any damage. However, this has been confirmed*to work for numerous RS owners.

Someone posted on the ST forums, just cross posting here.

Choose the appropriate update below based on navigation or non-navigation head unit. To perform update, you will need a flash drive formatted in "exFAT" or "Fat32" format at least 2GB in size. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR SOFTWARE/RADIO ISSUES.

Apple CarPlay will require an updated USB hub to work. USB hub part number HU5Z-19A387-A The hub is not required for the update but Apple CarPlay will NOT work until you switch to the updated hub.
https://www.worldoemparts.com/worldfordparts/oe-ford/hu5z19a387a

Download link for navigation units, read-me in zip file (total size 1.6 GB)
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=wvQm&id=0ByldYbWwjAf4VXpfdnVNNlVjdzg

Download link for non-navigation unit, read-me in zip file, TWO PART INSTALL READ CAREFULLY(total size 2.15GB)
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=IKl5&id=0ByldYbWwjAf4WUYyT2l0Zkl3S28

This update is confirmed*working on:
Fusion
Fiesta
Focus
Mustang
F-150
FOCUS RS

CREDIT GOES TO jm061 from F150Forum.com. You can buy Jason a beer by sending donations to jason@fordpimods.com via PayPal. Please DO NOT send Jason any emails as he doesn't check it.
So if i try install apple car play ( i have an iphone not android) it wont work unless i update the usb hub? that suckssssssssssssssss

#248 ·
For those lucky enough to get their hub orders in early with Tasca, it looks like they are starting to ship. I got an update, with package tracking, that mine would be delivered by Monday.

#273 · (Edited)
At work and didn't have time to go through this large thread.

Also by me supplying the shasums doesn't mean I modified my car. :)

Might wanna put this on the OP if not there already.
shasums of the file. Also if needed I could throw this on the net so downloads are faster.

shasum: UPGRADE FILE:
d6594ae345a855514f2567a698ea663087db4cd0 UPGRADE FILE.ZIP

:postwhore:

#276 · (Edited)
Tasca is a very well known big time Ford dealer. Bob Tasca (the original owner) was a drag racer and worked closely with Ford in the 60's. Bob Tasca III currently drives a NHRA funny car. They are true blue Ford guys. Their whole company is great to work with.

I ordered at 10:56am yesterday. Got shipping confirmation and tracking number today at 5:19pm today.

#278 ·
Guys, Just registered to say that I've tried this update and works.

I got my RS Yesterday night, readed through this pages trhu the night and decided to apply this today. Formatted my old 8GB Drive extFS followed the (super simple) instructions, Plugged in and took about 15 mins. Shutted off the engine and came inside for a cup of coffee, went back to the car and Android Auto is working on my LG G5 Cell Phone.

Couldn't be happier! New car and w/Android Auto :)

BTW, got the Loading MAPS things, but I know I just should wait and I honestly don't care about those maps :)

Cheers!
Aldo

#279 ·
I tried upgrade, no luck...

I began with a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB.
I formatted to exFat and extracted files so that SyncMyRide directory and autoinstall.lst file were the only two items at the top/root level of the drive.
I started up the RS, with nothing plugged into USB ports, then plugged in the flash drive with the upgrade files. Nothing happens. The drive has and activity light on it and it just pulses (which means it is idle)

Thought about trying again with FAT32 but not tonight, maybe in the AM. Any other ideas?

#281 ·
I tried upgrade, no luck...

I began with a Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB.
I formatted to exFat and extracted files so that SyncMyRide directory and autoinstall.lst file were the only two items at the top/root level of the drive.
I started up the RS, with nothing plugged into USB ports, then plugged in the flash drive with the upgrade files. Nothing happens. The drive has and activity light on it and it just pulses (which means it is idle)

Same here. But I get "device recognized" or something similar and then nothing happens. Flash drive is not being accessed, based on lack of light on flash drive. WTF.

Thought about trying again with FAT32 but not tonight, maybe in the AM. Any other ideas?
Same here. But I get "device recognized" or something similar and then nothing happens. Flash drive is not being accessed, based on lack of light on flash drive. WTF.

#282 ·
I tried a 32gb USB and it didn't work. I used an older 16gb and it worked. Maybe size does matter. :) Finished in 20 minutes.

#285 ·
How did you have each formatted?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

#283 ·
I used a brand spankin new 64gig usb3.0 stick and it worked fine
formatted it to exfat and put the files in the root
took exactly 14 minutes and 38 seconds from the moment I plugged in the usb to when it said completed. yes I timed it.
just stick it in the arm slot and it does it all automatically
maps took 25 mins to become accessible again.

Ordered the upgraded USB hub from Tasca 12/14 at 8:30pm and it shipped today. considering I live in the same state as Tasca, maybe it will arrive tomorrow.
so far so good.

#287 ·
I was successful with an old 4GB formatted with FAT32.

#289 ·
Does anyone have a problem with AA working. When I plug my phone in AA starts up on the cars display but then it disappears. I've only gotten it to work for 5 minutes at the longest. AA is displaying on the phone as long as its plugged into usb.

I think I'm going to try another usb cable and see if that works.

#295 ·
Can confirm it works from an iMac. Downloaded and copied over to a FAT32 8Gb Flash drive. Unzipped to the root directory and it updated in about 15-20 as advertised. The NAV maps were loading slowly, so I shutdown and restarted the car; they popped right up. Now I'm just waiting on the updated USB Hub from Tascaparts.

Reactions: Ecobeast
#296 · (Edited)
Finally Worked. The problem is with Windows 10 File Explorer extracting from a zipped file. When you format a flash drive (I used exFAT with an older 16 GB drive), then open the zip file, then extract to the root of the flash drive, File Explorer places the READ ME.txt in the flash drive root directory and creates a directory called UPDATE FILE.ZIP which contains the autoinstall.lst and the SyncMyRide folder (containing the 4 software files). I needed to get rid of the READ ME file and move the autoinstall.lst and the SyncMyRide folder to the flash drive root directory. I also deleted the UPDATE FILE.ZIP directory (which was now empty after moving the two files).

Then I followed the READ ME instructions and it worked automatically.

#297 ·
Finally Worked. The problem is with Windows 10 File Explorer extracting from a zipped file. When you format a flash drive (I used exFAT with an older 16 GB drive), then open the zip file, then extract to the root of the flash drive, File Explorer places the READ ME.txt and in the flash drive root directory and creates a directory called UPDATE FILE.ZIP which contains the autoinstall.lst and the SyncMyRide folder (containing the 4 software files). I needed to get rid of the READ ME file and move the autoinstall.lst and the SyncMyRide folder to the flash drive root directory. I also deleted the UPDATE FILE.ZIP directory (which was now empty after moving the two files).

Then I followed the READ ME instructions and it worked automatically.
Yup, look at this post.. it shows the only files you should see on the usb drive.

#299 · (Edited)
I used a 64gb SanDisk thumbdrive for both my RS and F-150, and the updates were done in under 20minutes.

The size of the thumbdrive won't matter, but sometimes the brand of a thumbdrive can. If you have issues installing the update, try to use a different brand. SanDisk, Kingston and Lexar are likely going to be your best bets most of the time.

If you have issues with the Navigation not loading, apply a master reset of Sync 3, and wait 5 minutes again before starting the car. You may need to do this a couple of times to get it to work.

Vehicle Car Multimedia Electronics Technology

#301 ·
I have to give them credit, much like my MFT upgrades, this one was a piece of cake, follow the instructions, drop it on a clean FAT32 stick, plug it in, shovel the driveway, when I came back it was updated, now it's just killing me to wait for my updated hub to come in early next week.

#304 ·
I think the problem is that people are having on the Mac is there not formatting the flash drive properly you have to go into disk utility Erase the drive to a fat32 partition and then load the files and it should work.