Ford Focus RS Forum banner

The All in One Lug nuts for the FoRS thread

203K views 361 replies 153 participants last post by  Soundwave 
#1 ·
For anyone considering the blue Muteki SR48 open ended lugs, here are some installed pics.
Pretty subtle but I like the look.

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke

See less See more
#84 · (Edited)
Lug nuts

Arise!
So I was putting on the winter wheels and decided that I did not want to use the OEM RS lugs and instead I would attempt to use a set of OEM ST lugs that I had lying around. Upon comparing the two sets of lugs it became apparent they where not the same. While the taper matched, the overall length (shank) was different. The RS lugs are slightly shorter. Has anyone found the part number and/or full specifications for the RS lugs? The ford racing lugs listed above appear most similar sizewise (assuming the picture is accurate) but are listed as mk2. Yes, I realize that this maybe a silly thing to ask, but I am officially curious. This question pertains to the OEM wheels and not 3rd party ones.

So added some potato pictures to show the difference. ST OEM on the left; RS OEM on the right.
Product Room Shelf
Yellow Electronics Measuring instrument Circle Rim

I think the perspective messed with this one as they both use the same socket size. Regardless the outer diameter is different.

#88 ·
#101 ·
I spent a lot of time on lugs in the past month, including lots of customer reviews on other forums. I went with a set of Project KICS R40s, but they aren't cheap. There were some online complaints about those KyoKugen lugs stripping. If I was buying on a budget, I would likely get McGard's.

#109 ·
What? Am I the only forum member to go with Titanium lugs?

#115 · (Edited)
Closed end version.
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

#120 ·
#121 ·
If anyone is looking for another choice of decent open BLACK wheel nut, I also like these: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...cing-lug-nuts-black-chrome-open-ended-12x1-50

I've used several sets Muteki (and they are a perfectly good steel nut) in multiple colours, but I personally prefer the beefier 19mm socket size on the Gorilla compared to the skinnier 17mm girth of the Muteki.

Also, while this is of course anecdotal, I did find the paint quality on the Gorilla nuts to be a bit more robust re frequent removal/replacement (track) than the Muteki nuts. But if you're not planning on frequent wheel changes then this is a moot point.

PS. For any of you new to playing with bits like this, if you plan to use your performance car as a performance car then I recommend you stay away from Aluminum nuts and stick with Steel or Titanium. Aluminum nuts are nice for show, not for go.

#135 ·
Sorry, have not tried them on the RS OEM wheels yet. I use them on the GT-R, but GT-R thread is different (1.25 vs 1.5) so I can't test fit them to RS.

I've had them on the GT-R for a couple of seasons now and so far so good.

With any painted nut though I think it's important during frequent removal and replacement to not use an impact/power-drive too much.

Personally when removing I always gently loosen all nuts with a breaker bar first, then use impact/power-drive to quickly spin them off. I don't want the impact drive having to bang away at the nuts to loosen them.

Similarly when replacing, I use impact/power-driver to spin then on for speed and just snug them, then torque to spec manually and gently using a torque wrench.

Reactions: eltacho
#125 · (Edited)
I like them. Weight savings is the main thing and not a bad price either. At 22.7 grams each lighter than the Muteki open ended at 36 (does not sound like a lot, but 9.4 oz. difference in aggregate across 20 lugs) and with 1 oz. of rotating mass equiv. to 25+ lbs. @100 mph that is a 234 lb. equivalent difference.

Would be great of a set of Volt TE-37 wheels. The name came from the weight of the original 15" which weighed 3.7kg. The group purchase for the RS in 18" weigh approx. 8.2kg, much lighter than most! JCG

#124 ·
Brought a few threads together for: The All in One Lug nuts for the FoRS thread.

#127 · (Edited)
That looks like a cool option. I've been looking for something blue for my NB RS1 . I love the "look" of the anodized 7075 aluminum ones but I just cannot bring myself to use aluminum. I really like the burnt Ti look but the price seems nuts..
Painted steel seems crappy

now I am wondering what will look better, closed or open end version of these http://www.ravspec.com/shop/kics-leggdura-2-pcs-shell-type-lug-nuts-with-locking

#132 ·
Good to note and makes sense, bling only lug nuts. Steel for track use. Still vetting those Rays Volk TE-37's, super light. Running Fikse's on 997 but with the PS Cup 2's a big ticket, 7 grand. The wife loved that one, "boy's toys are expensive". Costly in more ways than one. JCG

#133 ·
Rays Volks are awesome. I use 18" Volks on my GT-R for track. Extremely light and strong wheels for sure!

#142 ·
I have the 2003+ Jag orange spare wheel and correct size tire. But I'm having a hard time getting the correct lugs. When I try Ebay, I'm not finding the specific ones. Can anyone post a link or a picture or the correct ones. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.