Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Nitrous Blue - body work, paint doesn't match

32K views 73 replies 22 participants last post by  Grouse 
#1 ·
I was afraid of this. I'm arguing back and forth with the body shop right now on the paint work that has been done on the car. They're saying that it matches. However, if you look at the factory flake on the nitrous blue, and what Ford says is a paint match, the factory flake is much larger and prominent than what they have at the shop. The work they did has flake, but it's tiny flake and doesn't stand out at all. I can literally trace around the car and point out where they have sprayed.

This is terrible. I now have a splotchy car, and I am hoping Ford comes back with a solution because this doesn't match at all.

#5 ·
Yup, that's why I sold my Z06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Sucks for sure. As a painter for a living I know there are many reasons for paint to have a hard time matching. Quad coat paint sounds cool, but the reality is that there is one more layer of paint that has to be perfect. Sure color can match, but does the metallic match or is the face perfect but the pitch is off. Plastic bumpers absorb solvents differently than the sheet metal fenders so you spray the same exact color on the car and bumpers and the bumpers still don't match. Super frustrating. Pics would be nice btw.

#9 ·
This is coming from someone who Qualifies paint on a weekly basis:

I would have them verify the dry film thickness, hopefully within 2.5-4.0mil, the Delta E variance from the master color( oem finish) and next make sure measurements are accounting for orientation of flake applications. The metallic flake is literally multiple shapes and texture, so angle of application is typically the problem if the delta E variance is within <1.0E , DFT, and viscosity are correct. Delta <1.0 is undetectable to a naked average human eye. This all would be verified and done under 100 lumens candle power.

Reactions: Momo and jjameson
#10 ·
Followup question, is there a place I can take the car to get someone who Qualifies paint to provide objective evidence that the paint job was done incorrectly? Because the realistic scenario is the following:

- me: Did you verify dry film thickness within 2.5-4.0mil?
- Collision center: yes
- me: Did you angle your flakes right when you were painting?
- Collision center: yes
- me: Was all this verified under 100 lumens of light?
- CollisionCenter: yes

Welp.. I got nothin now.

#11 ·
I remember a lot of people with the Tri coat Tangerine Scream color ST's having this exact problem. They would have many respray attempts to get the color just right.

You may want to take it to a 3rd party body shop to have a real paint job put on the car. Most Ford body shops favor quick over quality.

This was part of the reason I went with simple black. That and to help minimize the uneven panel gaps this car has.

#12 ·
The B pillar is warranty work. The door is insurance work. I'm not sure how I could transfer that to a third party shop since the work has already been started at one location, and I'd likely end up having to pay out of pocket for the B pillar respray which I don't want to do, especially with no guarantee they'll do it right.

#24 ·
I dont even expect the paint to match between the bumpers and body on a new car these days. It doesnt on my new Escape and it doesnt on my NB RS, although the RS is better than the Escape. This is typical of just about every modern car you see with plastic bumpers. Once you notice the difference you see it everywhere on many different makes.
It's also why when you have paint imperfections on a new car these days it's probably better in most cases to just wear it. Too much hassle to get it fixed and more likely to end up with bigger problems.
I must admit that I had my Monaro ( Pontiac GTO) rear bumper repainted after a small car park accident about 10 years ago and told the painter that I wouldnt accept the standard colour miss match it came with from new and he did manage to get it spot on.

Ciao

#25 ·
I don't expect the bumper to match (it's slightly mismatched from the factory), but this same shop worked their ass off to get my ST correct. The bumper looked better after a respray than it did stock.

This same body shop is having issues with the RS. The flake is very obviously off, and they kept telling me no it is fine.

It seems to have declined over the years.

#26 ·
I had a repair done on my NB late last year....new RH front guard and scrape on front bumper. At that stage there wasn't a paint code available to the paint supplier (Glasurit I think), but my repairer worked with the paint company and even though they had to spray the test panel 4 times, they ended up with a perfect match....the owner of the repair shop said that the main issue was getting the correct amount of flake. But I am very happy with their job...it's impossible to pick in any light.
But your problem is that this repairer (J&W Zarb Carcraft) is located in Perth, Western Australia!
Good luck with the repair, but rest assured that it is possible to get a perfect match.

#27 ·
buddy drove my car and instead of reverse, he forgot the lever to switch to reverse and rammed slightly at my apartment complex gate. Body shop had to respray 3rd time got it somewhat right but now under a sun, you will see huge swirl marks on the bumper and the hood (not the entire hood) but it's visible like the marks came from a buffer machine. I refused to take the car back to the autoshop because ive been so frustrated about almost everything and my RS only had less than 500 miles on it.

Good luck with your outcome as i am dealing with my own right now as well. I choose to just enjoy the drive and refuse to look at my front bumper.

#28 ·
You should be able to buff those swirls out. If it's really bad you might need to color sand it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#32 ·
If they can't fix it, I'm getting a desert tan body wrap, finding a shop to lift it a couple inches, putting larger all terrain tires on it, skid plates, and turning it into a full out battlewagon. I will take it to Moab next year and hope it gets beat to **** on whatever it can manage.

I have developed a hatred for this car yet love it as well. I'm not letting it go.

#33 ·
Have you considered talking to Ford Rep about it, they should know that its not getting done properly. Of course the painter going to say...its correct...he don't want to do again. Or his eyes:narroweyes: need to be checked as well, does he wear corrective lens.

If insurance is paying...don't accept the car till you are satisfied.

#36 ·
Anyone know who Ford uses as the oem paint supplier? That line would obviously be the best for color/flake matching. Also, shops should always use test panels before they shoot as a previous poster wrote. The flake problem should have been identified before they put it on your car. Sorry for your troubles OP. Post some pics if u can.

#42 ·
Sweet. [emoji106]

#53 · (Edited)
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems like theres some people with relevant experiences in this thread.

Will a resprayed panel every match 100%? I had to have my passenger front door resprayed due to a paint defect and it's been driving me crazy because half a year later i feel like it has a more red tint to it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Wheel

Vehicle Car City car Supermini Hatchback

Vehicle Architecture Road Reflection City

Pics from before:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

Vehicle Car Hatchback Hot hatch Automotive design

#58 ·
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems like theres some people with relevant experiences in this thread.

Will a resprayed panel every match 100%? I had to have my passenger front door resprayed due to a paint defect and it's been driving me crazy because half a year later i feel like it has a more red tint to it.

View attachment 186354

View attachment 186362

View attachment 186370

Pics from before:
View attachment 186378

View attachment 186386

View attachment 186394
I can't tell from the pictures, but I probably could in-person. It sucks to have an issue like this with a new car. [emoji51]

Reactions: Arrowstomper
#60 ·
Paint seems to match this time. However they were not able to completely rebuild the body line on the door where the car was hit. My insurance has approved a replacement door as a result. I get visitation rights for my car while the door is on order then it's back to the shop for a door panel replacement...

#61 ·
Wow, that sucks. I'm worried you are ending up like I did with my Vette. [emoji51]

#63 ·
When I started the paint death spiral I had a good friend who is one of the top paint detailers in the world check out my Vette. This guy has won best paint at shows like Pebble Beach and a really good guy. He was the one who first said to me, "Maybe you should just sell it." I thought he was crazy. I loved my Z06, it was a great car....but the paint issues were driving me crazy. After several re-sprays, two trips to small claims court, etc....I sold it and bought the RS.

As sad as it is, maybe it's time to get out early. [emoji51]

#69 ·
Just take the car and park it in New Orleans..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.