Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Waiting for the Ford Performance Warranty Approved RS Tune

244K views 1K replies 192 participants last post by  cornerexit 
#1 ·
I thought I'd share this tidbit - I messaged Ford Performance today regarding the Ford tune that a lot of us started reading about last October. They replied the following:

"...we are waiting for the calibration to be certified by CARB. Once we have their blessing, it will be offered in our catalog. Anticipated ETA would be end of this quarter. We won't sell until CARB approves, so it does impact distribution to Canada. Best guess is that the kit will include the calibration, ProCal Tool and air filter..."

More waiting, but we're used to that, right?

#528 ·
Question from a tune noob, how does will the tune (Mountune or FP) interact with our drive modes, seeing there are already performance parameters changed with each mode? Will it then perform the same across all modes, save suspension and steering changes? Inquiring minds...

#532 ·
Fkn Ford! Lol they probably programmed all of the cars to run like 3 cylinder Fiestas lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#539 ·
Yes, and I will.

Hilltop is the dealer that I bought my car from but Albany Ford Subaru is where I get my car serviced and they would not do it. I could've gotten an appointment on Tuesday but Fridays are better for me. I've already spoken to the service person who seems more excited than me. He tried to download the tune from Ford with the technician but they were unsuccessful.

I'll bring a usb thumb drive so I can keep the tunes.

Reactions: eltacho
#536 ·
Two day air from CA to CA? Lol....its the traffic I tell ya

Reactions: maschoff
#560 ·
Okay so I have an extended warranty where I can do whatever I want to the car short of doing a motor build (or probably turbo swap) and they'll cover it. Tunes, exhausts, intakes, intercoolers, won't affect coverage for anything that's still OEM on the car (like the motor/trans/driveline). Given that, is there any reason to go with the Ford Performance setup rather than a Mountune/Cobb package?

#562 · (Edited)
Exhaust, intakes, intercoolers, all those can be blamed for causing components to fail as they're aftermarket parts. Who told you you'd have coverage if you make those mods? What warranty do you have? Through what company?'

No mods will ever void a warranty. They might make warranty repair an issue. Specifically, by modding the powertrain with the components you list, you're basically giving up coverage because those parts will absolutely get blamed if there's a failure.

#565 ·
Remember it isnt the dealers...its Ford. The dealers just want to be paid. By you OR them. If they say no...its not because they want to be jerks. They literally cant because Ford denied the claim

#566 ·
It seems that how the dealers present the repair to Ford may play a big role in warranty denial/acceptance, is that correct? A friendly dealer may "spin" a part failure different ways I am guessing haha

#574 ·
What I'm trying to say is that it's just a map. You could run the exact same parameters on a different map from someone else and it won't be covered under warranty.

I just find it interesting.

#577 ·
I ordered some other stuff at the same time...maybe they will take that into consideration. Lol

#583 ·
It's here ... appointment next Friday to install at Hilltop Ford.

Orange voucher card has key to redeem tune on Ford's site.
Any chance you could take pics of all 12 pages of the installation instructions and post them? I think it would answer a lot of questions. I am particularly interested in the "Restore Previous Calibration" section on page 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#581 ·
Im reading this differently than others I guess. According to the warranty page on Ford performance, the warranty of 36 months and 36,000 miles is for parts and materials of the actual package, not a replacement warranty for your drivetrain and other components of your vehicle. So if I am not mistaken your 5-year 60,000 mile warranty remains intact but the performance parts that you buy are only good for 36 months / 36,000 miles. Has anybody confirmed whether this is correct are false?

#582 ·
5/60K warranty remains intact, but if it is determined/proven that the FP tune caused a failure of other stock components, your claim may be denied. In essence, the tune becomes an "aftermarket" modification after 36K.

#585 · (Edited)
I am leaning toward getting the ford approved tune and waiting for dyno graphs before I get the tune. I have an extended warranty bumper to bumper for 8yr/75k for my 2017 RS and the odds are a mild tune like this will not void the warranty. The car is stock beside an air KN air-filter and slight change to boost, timing and fuel from mountune a respected tuner. If our engines and drivetrain can't handle 20hp and 26TQ gains we are all screwed in the long term. If I had an early 2016 RS with warranty left I would be nervous with fact there have been a few engine failures on stock RS's that has been fixed in newer versions of the RS.

Anyone else waiting for dyno graph before they pull the plug?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.