Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Waiting for the Ford Performance Warranty Approved RS Tune

244K views 1K replies 192 participants last post by  cornerexit 
#1 ·
I thought I'd share this tidbit - I messaged Ford Performance today regarding the Ford tune that a lot of us started reading about last October. They replied the following:

"...we are waiting for the calibration to be certified by CARB. Once we have their blessing, it will be offered in our catalog. Anticipated ETA would be end of this quarter. We won't sell until CARB approves, so it does impact distribution to Canada. Best guess is that the kit will include the calibration, ProCal Tool and air filter..."

More waiting, but we're used to that, right?

#282 ·
Mountune said this:
The wording came from Ford Performance's website where it also claims the same.
Technically, no modification voids any vehicle warranty.

This will be the only Ford endorsed upgrade in North America. Thanks

The only Ford-approved performance Focus RS Calibration that will retain the car's warranty
when I asked for clarification on the wording "retains warranty" on their listing and when i asked if they'd come out with their own warranty compatible tune.

So, this will be the only option for peace of mind, and there's very little of it at all...

#289 ·
So for those who are interested, I called my local FP dealer, who I have always done business with. He says his availability in his computer shows 12/17. I'm wondering if it just hasn't updated yet.

Mountune's web site shows "usually ships in 24 hours," and they were a $100 cheaper.

Ordered! Now we wait to see if it is actually available or not.

To @cornerexits point above. Very valid, and always a possibility. But my car seems to be outside the dates for the block/head problem, and I've never had an issue with Ford tunes in prior vehicles. Plus, this tune is easily the mildest of all the tunes I've ever had. I'm taking a calculated risk.

Reactions: UKXPAT
#299 ·
Interesting, some of the FB group members mentioned the dealers told them it wouldn't be in stock until Dec as well, but maybe it really is just a delay in the system.
Well I ordered from Mountune, so I'll get mine sometime between next week and Christmas apparently. We'll see. [emoji1317]

Reactions: eltacho
#294 ·
So this is a little interesting....

Prior FP tunes have been developed and registered with CARB by Badillo engineering....All the FoSt stuff, EB and GT Mustang stuff, etc.

This tune is actually developed and registered with CARB by Mountune. They certified it under the same base eo number as the mp275 for the FoSt. (Oh and it shows a 28.7HP increase.)

Looks like FP may have divorced themselves from Badillo for Focus Stuff. This also leads me to believe they may eventually warranty the Mountune MP380.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-727-3.pdf

#295 ·
So then the question is, what are the "economics" like for someone with 1600 miles on the car?

I feel like I want to beat on it a little harder to work out any infant death syndrome issues. Put a few autox runs under its belt, maybe a track day, and 5k miles. At my current rate that might be in 3 months. Enough time for others to also put it on the dyno.

I figure it the car can last 31K miles with the modest extra power it'll last the rest of the warranty [shrug]

#304 ·
It can never void your warranty. What would happen is that if a failure occurred and you were beyond the 36k mile coverage, and the tune were found to be at fault, you'd have no warranty repair coverage. BUT if say, your muffler falls off, an axle breaks, your clutch/transmission fails inside the 5/60, I would think they'd have a hard case to make to say the tune was at fault.

#305 ·
I'm alittle torn on this. The price isn't terrible, but it definitely isn't a big jump either. I would like to see a dyno, but I may just go ahead a purchase it.

Anyone know if the ST FP tune got rid of overboost and the 1st/2nd gear torque limits? I just want to be able to put down consistent power and the stock tune seems gutless at times. I don't know if it is the overboost BS or the tune's torque targeting, but it is annoying.

#309 ·
I stopped paying attention to specifics a while ago, but I thought that the ford performance warranty replaced the factory ford one.

Maybe I miss read things.

#311 ·
Too
Confusing.

I'll just save for a long block, clutch, and a spare ptu and rdu. Lulz.

#312 ·
Can someone clarify my brain here, please?

Let's say I buy this from Mountune, then to comply with the warranty I must go ahead and drive to my dealer and tell them to install it in order to preserve warranty? Would they allow that?

sorry about the dumb question but this is the first car I own in the US :)

Thanks!

#313 · (Edited)
Can someone clarify my brain here, please?

Let's say I buy this from Mountune, then to comply with the warranty I must go ahead and drive to my dealer and tell them to install it in order to preserve warranty? Would they allow that?

sorry about the dumb question but this is the first car I own in the US

Thanks!
Yes, that's right. Depends on the dealer probably. Or you just need an ASE certified shop as per Ford Racing. If you do that you retain full powertrain coverage for 36 months or 36k miles from original purchase date.

#319 ·
Now that I think about it, an aftermarket mild tune sounds better, or at least anything that would let you flash back to stock. I really don't understand how people are comfortable blowing their warranty and potentially having to pay the cost of engine or turbo repair. Maybe after 60k miles, it might make sense for those without extended warranties.

#322 ·
Lets not forget that dealers happily do warranty work and in most cases would rather have things covered for you. You read horror stories on here and people think that is the norm, but it is really not.

#327 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm missing something here but where does it say your cars warranty will be shortened or voided with the Ford Performance stuff?

Doesn't the 3/36000 refer specifically to what they are selling you? So if you buy the cat back lets say, that has a 3/36000 warranty on it, has nothing to do with the cars warranty. So if there is an issue with the exhaust outside of the 3/36000 it is no longer cover but the oem components are still under whatever your cars warranty is.

Am I being naive here?

#328 · (Edited)
It doesn't say anywhere that it voids your warranties, because it doesn't. What they warranty for 3/36 is the tune, and any damage to the powertrain that is proven to be caused by the tune. After that 3/36 your 5/60 powertrain will treat the tune like any other aftermarket part. If it's proven to be the cause of a failure, repairing said failure comes out of your pocket and not via warranty.

The ford performance Cat Back is probably the safest, but even outside of the 3/36, if the turbo fails and they blame the exhaust, that Ford Performance exhaust isn't OEM, so it could be pointed at as the fault causing part.

Trust me, I can understand that. But a lot of people are in a position where they have the cash, and would gladly pay more to make the car even more fun than it is. To some people its a fun daily...to some it's a car with a ton of potential and the prospect of enjoying it is more valuable than any equity.
If I had the ability to go FASTER on back roads, I mean, sure, that's FUN, but I can already reach unsafe speeds VERY quickly. I'm just not sold that the car is so deficient that it needs more power. I'll go for weight reduction first.

#335 ·
Let's not forget that the onus is upon them to prove that the mod caused the failure. I would suspect like most big companies the cost of the repair would be far cheaper than any potential litigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#336 ·
It's Ford Racing, not Ford. Even Ford Racing will claim their tune is aftermarket. It's not OEM. It might come from them, but it's not factory original parts.
Yes, I see that they say that.

"All Ford Performance Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Performance Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories."

But then under the product information it says the following:

"The only Ford-approved performance Focus RS Calibration that will retain the car's warranty"

Its "Ford Approved" and that the cars warranty will be retained, well my cars warranty is 8yrs/125K

I understand the tune or whatever is warrantied to 3/36K but if I have PCM go that shouldn't be denied even with FP tune as this has been approved by ford and is said not to affect the cars warranty.

And Im not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to figure this all out.

Text Font Screenshot Line Technology

#339 ·
Yes, I see that they say that.

"All Ford Performance Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Performance Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories."

But then under the product information it says the following:

"The only Ford-approved performance Focus RS Calibration that will retain the car's warranty"

Its "Ford Approved" and that the cars warranty will be retained, well my cars warranty is 8yrs/125K

I understand the tune or whatever is warrantied to 3/36K but if I have PCM go that shouldn't be denied even with FP tune as this has been approved by ford and is said not to affect the cars warranty.

And Im not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to figure this all out.

View attachment 192513

I too have an 8yr/125k warranty. They're being vague here. Because they can't actually void a warranty for an aftermarket part, yet they use the verbage "only ford approved tune that retains warranty", as if non Ford tunes void warranties. No in fact, they're just saying that because it's partially true, you keep a powertrain warranty that COVERS the tune for 3/36. Beyond that, your warranties are all still intact, you'll just likely have to fight if Ford comes back to you during a repair and says your tune caused the problem.

I'd find it HIGHLY unlikely they could pin a failed PCM on your tune. So, it will come down to the specific failure mode, if and when anything happens.

I'm just not going to do it, and ride this all out. I'd rather lighten the car up a little anyway.

#337 ·
<Click here for the risk free experience>

I bought the 100K ext. warranty and I dont want to void it.

If you're scared, say you're scared.

I'm most likely doing it and I'm scared. I'm at 7K and wonder if it will actually help me in the long run by making it "pop" sooner.

Hope you didn't try clicking on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#343 ·
I bought the 100K ext. warranty and I dont want to void it.

If you're scared, say you're scared.

I'm most likely doing it and I'm scared. I'm at 7K and wonder if it will actually help me in the long run by making it "pop" sooner.

Hope you didn't try clicking on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I'm here /\ as well. My real concern is the HG/block issues already seen. However I am still thinking there is enough information out there on non-modded cars seeing this issue that if it came to it it would provide a strong argument in litigation if they tried denying. All this being said, I am inclined to believe FP has done the development to make something 'safe' and the risks are very low. We all seem to be thinking the worst straight away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Traffic22
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.