Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I had the B Pillar rattle and fixed it elsewhere/myself

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I don't have the B Pillar rattle

Votes: 69 34.3%

B Pillar rattle

170K views 649 replies 146 participants last post by  gxbry 
#1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of us have the dreaded B pillar rattle of death and in a few hours I am gonna drive my car to my dealer to have them look at and document it.

My question is has anybody gotten it resolved or seem any document responses from ford about the issue. I am concerned about the fact that it is something that comes and goes and even told the dealer "the moment you get in the car its gonna stop" but I do not want to get the run around any help would be appreciated.

7/17 update

took the car in on the 15th long story short the Ford dealer could not fix it. 4 grown ass men stood there looking at the problem the tech his boss the salesman who sold me the car and myself. We could not see/locate what appeared to be the problem and they even asked me what I would like them to do? I decided as long as there was documentation that I tried to have the issue resolved I would just wait to see if ford can come up with an official fix.

Not really upset about the situation they acknowledged that there is an issue and I even asked them to go over all the information correlated in this forum post as well as a few others and they did so. ultimately until Ford engineers come up with a fix or you are able to pull off a DIY type fix, its gonna be a issue.

7/18

My Ford rep contacted me to ask had my issue resolved (I need to remember to get her frigging name next time we talk). She said she was going to have the engineers reach out to my dealer to see if they could assist in resolving the issue and will contact me again no latter then the 22nd.

9/14

Have not updated this in a while just figured I would share. I was called and asked me to come in so they could take another look about a week or two ago, tech says it is the seat belt assembly. Told me they would need to order the part and have me come back. Next week on the 20th I will go back again for a possible repair,

9/20

Took the car in today they worked on it for about 3 hrs. From what I understand they replaced the whole seat-belt assembly in the drivers side B pillar. I was a little worried I mean seat-belts are not something you normally want people messing with but meh.

The verdict after a 30 mile drive to work ... not a peep seems to be good granted I still need to do way more driving to make sure it is long term but I would like to be optimistic haha.

NOPE STILL RATTLES ITS EVEN LOUDER !!!

10/27

The END of my story?

Welp on the 24th of OCT I took the car in for one last time to have this B-pillar issue hopefully put to rest. I sat down with the service manager and talked about all the various information on the forum here and we came to one conclusion.

He decided to take the car to a body shop, he explained Ford (this Ford) does not do any welding so he wanted to take the car to a shop to have them do whatever is necessary to resolve the issue. The good news is 3 days later it seems to have worked. the bad news is since it wasn't a Ford shop I cant tell you what they did to resolve it.

What I can say is YOUR Ford dealer has it in their power to have SOMEONE rectify the issue.

See less See more
#46 ·
"I'll just let the dealer handle it"

Bahaha yea that's what I said over a month ago. Mine's been to the dealer 3 times over the last 5 weeks, with "Ford engineering working on it" and so far nothing has solved this rattle.

There's a way to replicate it without driving the car. If you tap on the top of the rear door with it open it'll do it. I've sent them several videos, so they do know it exists.

If you "take it to the dealer to have them deal with it", your car will just sit there in their lot (I checked my dash cam video). After 2 weeks total without my car I just took it back. I'd rather have the car with rattles than no car at all.

#47 ·
My temporary solution has been to wedge an extendable plastic pipe between the seat and the B-pillar. It has stopped the rattle as pressure on such panel kills the noise. It does however render the passenger seat unadjustable. I will keep monitoring this thread to see if a proper fix \ TSB has been issued. Is there any official website I can monitor for new TSBs? It don't really want to go to the dealer until a proper remedy is found.

Thanks

#48 ·
Not sure if I have this rattle from b pillar. I do have a rattle coming from what sounds like the dash. I've had the car for three weeks and have about 80 miles. I did some investigating and found what seems to be the culprit. My rear view mirror cover is very loose. It has allot of play. I tried to push it back in place but no luck. Has anyone else have this loose on there car? Question is why would it be lose?

Another thing I notice is a chemical rubber smell when shut car off. I know what your gonna say am I driving like a lunatic. The answer is no, at 50 years old, those days are long gone. Had that fun with my GT. Curious if anyone else has this smell. I keep thinking new car it all has new parts that need to air out.

#49 ·
#58 ·
I will update the front page post as well but I thought I would share my most recent results in trying to get the rattle fixed

took the car in on the 15th long story short the Ford dealer could not fix it. 4 grown ass men stood there looking at the problem the tech his boss the salesman who sold me the car and myself. We could not see/locate what appeared to be the problem and they even asked me what I would like them to do? I decided as long as there was documentation that I tried to have the issue resolved I would just wait to see if ford can come up with an official fix.

Not really upset about the situation they acknowledged that there is an issue and I even asked them to go over all the information correlated in this forum post as well as a few others and they did so. ultimately until Ford engineers come up with a fix or you are able to pull off a DIY type fix, its gonna be a issue.

#69 ·
I noticed it nearly immediately. The rearview cover rattles as well but the b-pillar is much worse. I hope the TSB rumors are true and a fix comes quickly!

#76 ·
I swear this thread is like that movie (the ring?) where you watch the video then die.... I read this thread yesterday and then driving to work this morning I started hearing a faint noise coming from the driver's side B-pillar. It's much fainter than the video posted earlier, but has a similar ...uhh... tempo(?) to the rattle.

#78 ·
I had my dealer take a look at it. They replaced the seatbelt retractor and that did not resolve the issue. They want me to bring the car back so they can take it to a body shop to open up the panel as they believe the rattle is something at/near the welds. I'm not sure I want someone cutting up my B pillar in hopes that the issue is in there. I'd rather have a message from Ford saying what the issue is and what the definitive fix is. As annoying as the rattle is, ripping the car apart to fix it doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: DocWalt
#79 ·
I know a lot of us have the dreaded B pillar rattle of death and in a few hours I am gonna drive my car to my dealer to have them look at and document it.

My question is has anybody gotten it resolved or seem any document responses from ford about the issue. I am concerned about the fact that it is something that comes and goes and even told the dealer "the moment you get in the car its gonna stop" but I do not want to get the run around any help would be appreciated.

7/17 update

7/18

My Ford rep contacted me to ask had my issue resolved (I need to remember to get her frigging name next time we talk). She said she was going to have the engineers reach out to my dealer to see if they could assist in resolving the issue and will contact me again no latter then the 22nd.

#80 ·
Has there been any progress on a definitive fix from Ford? Mine has had this issue since day one. Happened to drivers side 5 minutes after taking delivery and less than 75 miles later on the passenger side! Both sides are pretty loud. It's becoming a rattle fest inside the cabin.

#81 ·
I noticed the other day that when I moved the seatbelt adjuster thing down the rattle seemed to move down with it. My ears are VERY sensitive to noise, especially high pitch.

#85 ·
Mine decided to start today and it came on with a vengeance! So damn annoying!

I removed the b pillar trim and can hear the noise when I tap the adjuster mechanism. Nothing obvious causing the rattle. I looked for the metal piece another member mentioned tapping with a punch to cure the rattle but I didn't see anything as described. I placed a bunch of rubber bumper pieces in areas that seemed might make contact, just drove now and still present. Turning up the volume doesn't work for me as the rattle is in your ear and once I hear something no going back.

Reactions: shaddai
#86 ·
I found a couple spare washers under the foam sitting on the metal pan in the hatch. That solved part of my hatch rattle. Still have it somewhat, but much better. I need to go through every nook and cranny back there as it seems they may have spilled some washers in my hatch before putting it all together.

FML

#98 ·
mine comes and goes...have not heard it for a week. I hope it stays that way
Same here now.... very sporadic.
I'm not sure I can hold out for another 1000 miles...
My RS is parked until I can get it taken in for the rattles to be fixed. I can't take it any longer.
Hey Ford Family,

There hasn’t been any recalls or TSBs released for this yet, as far as I’m aware. I do recommend you each visiting your dealers to help get this documented, if it continues. Additionally, I’ll loop in regional customer service managers for your areas, who’ll work with both the dealers and yourselves to get this resolved. To do so, please send me a PM with your names, phone numbers, VINs, current mileages, and preferred dealers; I’ll do my best to help get that rattle calmed down.

Yeah mine comes and goes, it depends on the road as well. Rough roads definitely start the rattling. I think temperature plays a part as well, it seems to do it less when its cold in the morning vs hotter in the afternoon.
I highly recommend messaging FordService both on facebook and twitter to ask for an update. I just did that. We need more people complaining about it I feel. There are alot of owners who are probably just waiting on Ford and not going to the dealer, so Ford might not get how widespread it is.
Just an update. Ford does not recognize this as an official issue as of yet. I was told to make an appointment regardless, even if you tell the dealership not to take the car apart since there is no fix yet. If you are waiting on Ford to release a fix, and not reporting this to your dealer, make an appointment. That's the only way Ford will know how widespread this is.
Just going by what they told me, and I escalated the issue up. They still want me to visit the dealership.
Hey pdxgeek,

Yes, we do recommend you visiting a dealer for diagnosis. It does help Ford identify the root cause and be able to provide a fix. I’m glad to see you've been escalated. If you send over your case number via PM, I’ll make sure to update it with this feedback as well.

Rachel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.