Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Auto Stop-Start Silences radio for 2-3 seconds

9K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  bleedlee 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I've been struggling with my dealer for a couple of months on this issue. I use auto stop start from time, call me crazy. Anyway, when I'm sitting at a traffic light and car is off... and I engage the clutch to start the car, whatever I am listening to on the audio system silences for 2-3 seconds and then comes back on.

The head tech has been in contact with Ford HQ but so far they haven't provided a solution. Last thing I had to do was prove that I had done no modifications (I haven't) and that it doesn't happen in other RS's (that was a heap of fun).

Has anyone else had this issue?

My car has Sync 2 and was built in July or August I believe.

#2 ·
Haven't experienced this myself, as I turn off the auto s/s robotically now.

Does it happen only with certain sources? (i.e. streaming over bluetooth from your phone might need an extra few seconds to reconnect if the receiver end is removed.

#4 ·
There should not been an issue. When I'm using XM, FM, CD, BT or AA the music just plays during the restart. My first guess would be that there is a bad connection somewhere allowing the voltage to the radio to drop too low . Just a guess though. If I were trouble shooting I was start with a system I could log the voltage when auto stop/start is working on your car and one that is not exhibiting the problem. If no difference look for something else, if there is a difference find the cause.

#5 ·
The head tech has been in contact with Ford HQ but so far they haven't provided a solution. Last thing I had to do was prove that I had done no modifications (I haven't) and that it doesn't happen in other RS's (that was a heap of fun).
Whoa, they made you prove that other RS's don't do this. That's as bogus as it gets, the sell the damn things, and can contact Ford. Unless they are a cheap "We sell everything" type garage.

Also, I can't believe you had to prove you don't have mods. They need to show you do have mods and they caused the problem. Deciding it's your fault up front means I go to another Dealer right off. Lets not forget who the customer is, and who is paying 36000+ to Ford for the pleasure.

All that said, I can confirm other RS's do not display this behaviour.

#7 ·
when I'm sitting at a traffic light and car is off... and I engage the clutch to start the car, whatever I am listening to on the audio system silences for 2-3 seconds and then comes back on.
Check that your battery terminals are securely tightened on the posts, and that there is no corrosion on the ground cable connection to the chassis. Nine times out of ten, brownout issues are due to bad grounds or loose battery connections. I use auto start/stop and so far haven't noticed any radio shutdowns.

#31 ·
I'd be trying a known good battery first and then a starter/starter relay. I dont believe the OP is 100% sure they tried a new battery,he assumes so. Sound like a higher than normal current draw when the starter kicks in pulling the voltage down.

Ciao

#9 ·
Hey guys.. I have a new 2017 RS2 and the music (whichever I'm using, Bluetooth, radio, android auto), always shuts off for a second or two when car starts back up when engine auto-stop is being used. It sounds like it was a faulty BCM?

#10 ·
So my car has been in four times now and it's not fixed. The music still cuts off right as the engine restarts from auto stop. The dealership says there's something wrong with wiring and Ford "hot line" is telling the dealership it'll take a week to come up, and send, the wiring diagram. This problem has been since I rolled off the lot. Anyone else fine a definitive cause of this???

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
It sounds like the voltage is dropping too low from the starter motor draw. This will be expensive to troubleshoot but i bet a larger capacity battery will fix the problem... For reference i do not think my radio cuts out when auto start stop restarts the car.

#12 ·
Thanks.. I guess they put in a new battery but no fix. What I don't get is that there's no available schematic layout of the wiring, which is supposed to be available.

#15 ·
Update: I've been to the dealership now 5 times and no fix. Ford is telling me there's "three known RSs with this problem." They tell me Ford is investigating this. Meanwhile, I realize that there's some wrong wiring, which is unsettling. If they can't fix this, I wonder if this is cause enough for lemon law claim. I got the car brand new and it was like this off the lot. I won't tolerate a bad wiring issue to not be fixed properly.

#16 ·
Depends on your state and time/milage with the car.

#17 · (Edited)
Update: It's been months and STILL no fix. Dealership says stuff like "still waiting for Ford to let us know next step." Now, I have a bad engine mount...vibrates awful at idle when AC is on and they're telling me, "can't find a part" so, this apparently can't be fixed either. WT#... I think I'm ready to either do a buy back or activate lemon law. I really like this car but if things can't be fixed, maybe should pursue lemon. I've only 6K on it.

#18 ·
Update: I believe I've been to the dealer 5 times now and STILL no fix. Dealership says stuff like "still waiting for Ford to let us know next step." Now, I have a bad engine mount...vibrates awful at idle when AC is on and they're telling me, "can't find a part" so, this apparently can't be fixed either. WT#... I think I'm ready to either do a buy back or activate lemon law. I really like this car but c'mon.. things can't be fixed and I've only 6K on it. Love the car but I'm not going to tolerate things not getting fixed.
Try a different dealer? Where are you at?

Sounds like their electrician isn't up to the task. I'm half curious if it's just a connector or grounding point that needs cleaning.

Is it throwing any codes or have any pending codes? That could point to an issue too.

#19 ·
Exeter, New Hampshire. The master tech is good. It's not throwing any codes (they tell me). They can easily reproduce it but they're not doing anything Ford corporate isn't saying to do...they won't.

#20 ·
I must be one of the 3. Its been doing this for well over a year for me now also. As a matter of fact, just for fun, I think I will give the dealer a call. In all fairness, they have been good about it. Pretty much every piece of electronic components have been replaced. Head Unit, BCM, PCM, even my steering wheel. All to no avail.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm not gonna tolerate it in a brand new car that can't be fixed. The field service engineer came to look at it a week ago and after he went through it, the service manager told me "he's going to look into it." I told him I am no longer interested in hearing the words "will look into it" as this is all I have heard for many months and now 6 times to the dealership and that I want it either fixed or buy back at this point. The service manager said he'll escalate it for put in for buy back b/c there is no apparent fix.

#24 · (Edited)
dallas texas

keep this car at dealer almost 10 weeks this issue and another issue...
dealer said they can not fix...........even open the hotline..

any idea guys?? lemon law??
It's obviously personal preference if this malfunction should be tolerated. For me, this is not an inexpensive car and I fully expect the problem to be fixed. In stop-and-go-traffic, the sound would shut off each and every time the car re-starts, which is just intolerable and is a malfunction. In all my searches, and even speaking with Ford MANY times, (including my dealership speaking with 'hot line') and reading how some have had many components/parts replaced, and NO FIX that I see of.
In most states, including mine, if the problem has been a minimum of 3 visits or over 30 days (that includes no part found), and can't be fixed, then for EITHER of those two, it is lemon law compatible. Mine has been in 6 times and the last time was a field service engineer. I think some RS owners figured they'd accept the malfunction and just turn off the auto-stop/start but, for me, it is broken and I want it fixed or else, very sadly, am pursuing buy back. I won't just roll over and accept a broken part that de-values my car. I just wish it could be fixed though.

#26 ·
yes let us know..

they keep saying radio guy check this case...

i thought ignition system is stuck together that is why..
push start ans s/s system crash to ignition..
feel like when i miss clutch engine down start again.

or sound like yes amplifier.

i want to keep this RS.

also dealer give me trade in this rs -6k...lol

#28 ·
I'm having the same problem; the dealership blamed my dashcam installation. I suppose it could have been, but I doubt it because its fuse was piggybacked off the heated steering wheel.

Regardless, I'm pulling all aftermarket electronics out and taking it to another dealership. Hopefully they are able to give me a better answer.

#29 · (Edited)
I just got word that Ford is closing the case/denying buy back. They're saying it's a "comfort" issue and not a "safety" issue.. So, yeah, a wiring short/malfunction, is a "comfort" issue. Ugh!
I called Ford customer relations today myself. Guess what? They told me that my dealership actually did not escalate it to a buy back. So, I started a whole new case and, for real, opened a case for buy back. I'm supposed to hear from a rep in a 24 hour period.

#32 ·
So it's official.. Ford fully approved the buy back or car replacement. This is truly bitter/sweet as I love the car. Now I need to decide if replacement or have Ford buy back.

#34 ·
I have a case number and the dude in charge of the case contacted me and said, "Your vehicle is qualified for Ford to repurchase/replacement your vehicle. What will happen is the ReAcquired Vehicles Department (RAV) will be contacting you to walk you through the process." ...and he listed things I have to compile. This rep for the tri-state area said it's approved for re-acquire or replacement. I haven't fully decided if will do buy back or replacement...I mean, I like the car a lot but I have a new RS with only 6k miles on and isn't being fixed under warrantee so, I don't want to be in this position again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.