Dangers of buying a 2017 Focus RS with possible E85 tune
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Dangers of buying a 2017 Focus RS with possible E85 tune within the Focus RS Purchasing forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Currently looking to make some moves on a certified 2017 Focus RS with 14k miles. Basically Ive been told the car is stock. I can ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dangers of buying a 2017 Focus RS with possible E85 tune

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Currently looking to make some moves on a certified 2017 Focus RS with 14k miles. Basically Ive been told the car is stock. I can confirm that the engine bay looks untouched from pictures (no air filter or fuel rail)
    The only concern is that on the back with the focus badge is a flex fuel badge. I am assuming the reason this badge is on the car is because its tuned for e85. But the dealership still certified it? So it still has a warranty.
    Basically looking for insight on how I might approach this, if this is something I should stay away from or should it not cause any problems. Any way I can check if the car is actually equipped to run e85?

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The sales rep is telling me that no car can be certified if its modified. So maybe the badge was just put there to look cool? He also sent me pics under the engine cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Our cars cant run e85 without a port fuel injectors (most common), or upgrades to the High pressure fuel pump. You can run up to E30-E40 without fuel delivery upgrades.

Ill take a look at my engine harness, but that one looks like it might had been unwrapped to tap the port injector connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbl911; 06-10-2019 at 02:50 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Check or ask for pics of the fuel line going from the hard line by the firewall, to the back of the high pressure fuel pump. If the car was running E85 for any extended amount of time, then the line will either be leaking, or it will have been replaced by a hose that's E85 rated.
    Frost White RS is best RS.

Member #
    Liked
    561 times
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    is it the only RS you can find for sale OP?
    SG RS2 17

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crepr12 View Post
    is it the only RS you can find for sale OP?
    No but its one of the few that checks all my boxes (blue, sunroof, RS2, low miles, derivable distance, etcc..)

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madokami View Post
    Check or ask for pics of the fuel line going from the hard line by the firewall, to the back of the high pressure fuel pump. If the car was running E85 for any extended amount of time, then the line will either be leaking, or it will have been replaced by a hose that's E85 rated.
    He also sent me these. Hopefully these are what your looking for
    Attached Images Attached Images    

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
    He also sent me these. Hopefully these are what your looking for
    In the second pic I can see the tag on the OEM line that says "engine connection." So it is a factory line to the HPFP, just might want to make sure there is no corrosion on that connection.

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zsommer79 View Post
    In the second pic I can see the tag on the OEM line that says "engine connection." So it is a factory line to the HPFP, just might want to make sure there is no corrosion on that connection.
    Thank you very much for that. It makes me feel alot better moving forward to purchase the car hopfully it doesnt sell before Saturday! Any other opinions on the pictures? I really appreciate all your guys help

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    To me it looks and sounds like it has been modified and returned to stock. You see lots of guys selling aftermarket parts on here after returning their car to stock to sell/trade.
    The dealer should be able to scan if its ever had a tune. If it had flex fuel, may have been many other mods as well.
    Hard to interpret if its going to be an issue or not, and comes down to what you are personally comfortable with.
    I have no issue with buying a modded or returned to stock vehicle - as long as I know what was done and who did it.... Not all tunes/mods are the same.
    Madokami and rdriggett like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors