Focus RS vs Focus ST
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Focus RS vs Focus ST

This is a discussion on Focus RS vs Focus ST within the Focus RS vs The Competition forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; I know, I know, the ST isn't competition for the RS. I want to get former ST owner's opinions how they feel about the RS ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Focus RS vs Focus ST

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Focus RS vs Focus ST

I know, I know, the ST isn't competition for the RS. I want to get former ST owner's opinions how they feel about the RS vs the ST. I traded in my 2013 Tuxedo Black ST3 for my RS on Wednesday. Sad to see the ST go, but it's so totally worth it.

The RS to me is a totally different animal. It doesn't feel like the ST in regards to handling at all. I was a bit worried it would drive like the ST with some spinning of the back tires. I shouldn't have been concerned, that torque vectoring rear is AMAZING.

One thing that always annoyed me with the ST is putting power down. There was always too much power for the available grip, I like being able to floor it without wheel hop or tons of wheelspin. I replaced the rear motor mount because the stock one is awful. This made starting from a stop a bit tricky. The vibrations it would transfer were awful, so I'd have to feed more throttle, which would make the wheels skip.

Turn in on the ST was phenomenal, it loved to bite into the corner. Corner exit always left me wanting a bit more, but the lift off oversteer was a hoot.

I love how the RS puts power down, makes it easy to use all 350 horses. The push from the rear end is a fantastic feeling. You can really tell the power goes to the outside rear. Exhaust sound is much better (who doesn't love pops?) and the intake noise is still present. My ST was all intake noise with the Roush intake on it.

How do you think the ST and RS compare?

Here's a pic of old BettyName:  9629d1368678838-black-betty-179191_10151927208983572_2096647170_n.jpg
Views: 6944
Size:  102.2 KB
    DZEFoRS likes this.
    2017 FW RS1 ordered 7/12/16 built 10/26/16 Arrived in Newark 11/23/16 Delivered to Dealer 1/3/17 In my hands 1/4/17
    2015 Hyundai Sonata (daily driver)

2013 Tuxedo Black ST3 "Black Betty" TRADED IN
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT SOLD
    1992 Mazda Miata "Papa Smurf" SOLD

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If you live where I do, the ST is hands down several pegs below the RS. The AWD of the RS in the snow would blow the doors off it.
    I was concerned about how much time and effort I put into nearly 8 years of Mazdaspeed3 ownership and how it would miss it dearly before getting the RS, now I just want it gone. That's the effect the RS has on me in the couple of days I have had it.
    stinkpiqle, RocketRS and Vinnie13 like this.
    Sold: 2007 Mazdaspeed3
    Current: 2017 Focus RS (built October 27, 2016 - delivery taken January 5, 2017)

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I honestly feel that you're comparing a great car to a just slightly greater car. I must admit I never owned an ST but have been fortunate to race and drive them quite a bit. It's likely I would have one now (or maybe an evo) if the rs hadn't been announced while we were vehicle shopping.

While the RS is obviously faster the fact of the matter is it's only more than an ST maybe 5% of the time. Only when you are mashing it and using that extra 100hp or getting into the corners hard enough to make TQ vectoring really work. Day to day the cars are nearly identical with the edge going to the ST because of weight and mileage imo.

The st is a phenomenal handler with its savage turn in and darty nature when compared to others in class. Something I felt was a bit lost in the rs. Something that's even more apparent in the fiesta. If I owned and st, either focus or fiesta really, I'm not sure I'd be rushing to get an RS if I was allowed to really test drive one hard.
    DAC17 likes this.
    2016 White with 0 options

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    @Tyraid having driven the ST for so long, I think the difference is pretty significant. More significant than the jump from WRX to STi, I would guess.

I agree the RS has lost the dartiness of the ST, but I'm willing to trade that off for putting power down.

I would have to disagree with the RS only being better than the ST 5% of the time though. I'd say it's better all the time. It really is a totally different monster and I think it's much more pleasant to drive, more refined, rides better. My pov is probably skewed since I'm comparing my modded ST to a stock RS. That RMM was serious business.

I'd like to drive a stock 16 or 17 ST to get a better idea of how the ST has changed with the facelift and subtle differences.
    Tyraid and FrinkTL like this.
    2017 FW RS1 ordered 7/12/16 built 10/26/16 Arrived in Newark 11/23/16 Delivered to Dealer 1/3/17 In my hands 1/4/17

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7735 times
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Both are great in their categories but I'll throw the FiST into the mix also, since I own all three.

Coming from the Moostang world I've been nothing but impressed with the FoST, FiST, and FoRS.

I see the FiST as the junior high XC runner, the FoST as the middle child that's always trying to outdo the older sibling the FoRS.

Putting down the traction is the Achilles heel in both the FiST and FoST, but that's expected since they're FWD platforms.

The Stage III FoST feels to build steam quicker than the FoRS twin scroll but once the AWD and twin scroll kicks in it's not contest when it comes to lateral acceleration.

The FiST is the funniest of the three, hands down.

Don't make me choose between my three kids.
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, re-circ valve, and Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decal, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST (Daughter)
    2016 Stealth Grey RS2, Dewey: Order placed: 30OCT2015, Built: 3MAY2016, Delivered: 31AUG2016! HG repair 31JAN18, surgery complete 9MAR18 and back home.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkpiqle View Post
    @Tyraid having driven the ST for so long, I think the difference is pretty significant. More significant than the jump from WRX to STi, I would guess.

I agree the RS has lost the dartiness of the ST, but I'm willing to trade that off for putting power down.

I would have to disagree with the RS only being better than the ST 5% of the time though. I'd say it's better all the time. It really is a totally different monster and I think it's much more pleasant to drive, more refined, rides better. My pov is probably skewed since I'm comparing my modded ST to a stock RS. That RMM was serious business.

I'd like to drive a stock 16 or 17 ST to get a better idea of how the ST has changed with the facelift and subtle differences.
    Having only briefly driven an ST during test drive I will say I'm not the best source, but if we are making comparisons than I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that the difference from a 06 WRX to a '12 STI was not as great as I'd hoped regarding power, but the STI had a different feeling that make it feel vastly different. The close ratio box and the DCCD + SI drive made it feel much more different from the WRX. The ST to the RS has a similar difference to it as the WRX to the STI, however it was more relating to power / drive than the extra's. I prefer most of the RS to the STI, I just wish I could have a DCCD and a better display on the dash than the RS has. The center gauge display on the RS is somewhat of a joke compared to the new STI center gauge, but that's not why I bought this car and I will mod. Both the ST and the RS are great cars though, but the RS has a much more profound / intense feel to it than the ST did (in my opinion).
    SOLD - '17 FW RS Ordered 7/2/16 | Built 10/27/16 | Arrived 12/29/16 | Purchased 12/31/16
    Current S4 with child seat.

Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    I see the FiST as the junior high XC runner, the FoST as the middle child that's always trying to outdo the older sibling the FoRS.
    Former CC (prefer CC over XC) runner, and older(est) sibling to a younger sister that also elected to do the distance runner thing ....analogy checks out.
    Tyraid likes this.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have only ever had WRX's and never driven an ST but all reports I have seen put my same year Rex's well above the capabilities of an ST.

Now that I have stepped into the RS, in comparison the WRX seems average in most areas. So that would have me feel that the RS should be a big step up from an ST.
    RocketRS likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    @Hoonigan I've never gotten to drive a FiST, but I always hear they are the most tossable out of the 3 ST/RS siblings. I wanted the FoST shortly after they were announced, and decided it was worth the extra weight and $ for the more powerful car. Coming from a Subaru Legacy (non-turbo) the ST was a welcome surge of power and handling.
    @Sikmrex I took my buddy from work for a drive in it yesterday. He has a WRX and at the end of the ride he turns to me and goes "I need one of these".
    radodrill likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The ST is a great car, tons of fun, don't get me wrong. I laughed just about every time it made that goofy Zoidberg noise when you give it throttle and back off. Now I laugh at pops and bangs. The RS is what I really wanted when I bought the ST. I never thought in a million years the RS would be coming to the US. If I had known then, I might've waited, or gotten the FiST to tide me over til the RS was available.

I enjoyed the lift off oversteer, thought that was hilarious too. But power on oversteer is so much better. I love feeling the push from the rear end, I'm an AWD turbo hatch kinda guy and this is the peak of the mountain for me. The ST is sitting on a ledge not too much further down the slope.
    RocketRS likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors