2016 Ford Focus RS vs Golf R and Audi RS3 - Hyper Hatch Photo Comparison
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on 2016 Ford Focus RS vs Golf R and Audi RS3 - Hyper Hatch Photo Comparison within the Focus RS vs The Competition forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; by Mihnea Radu, 3rd February 2015 RS Fords really don't come around that often, no matter what Ford marketing executives may promise. And this all-new ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 2016 Ford Focus RS vs Golf R and Audi RS3 - Hyper Hatch Photo Comparison

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7675 times
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)

Name:  2016-ford-focus-rs.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  62.2 KB

by Mihnea Radu, 3rd February 2015

RS Fords really don't come around that often, no matter what Ford marketing executives may promise. And this all-new Focus RS, the third such model ever made, is even more special than the two that came before because it's the first AWD. With the horsepower wars being waged by Ford, Renault and VW Group, it was only a matter of time before the front wheels were overwhelmed.

Thus, the 2016 Focus RS is the first to adopt an all-wheel drive system benefiting from dynamic torque vectoring control that can send up to 70% of the torque to the rear or 100% to one side of the car. Complete specs are not available yet, but the 2.3-liter turbo engine is rated at "over 320 hp" and 0 to 60 mph times will fall somewhere between 4.5 and 5 seconds. That's Porsche Boxster territory!

Of course, that also means that Ford will have to deal with altogether more competent rivals, the first of which is the Golf 7 R, which has been around for over a year. It too uses a four-cylinder turbo engine and all-wheel drive, but because it's smaller 2-liter, the output is only 300 PS, 292 if you're looking at the US market model.

The old Focus RS Mk2 could eat the Golf R of its time (R32) for breakfast without even having all-wheel drive, so around a track, Ken Block's car will eat the Germans for breakfast. Realistically speaking though, ver few VW fans will be tempted by the Focus for two big reasons: it doesn't have the same build quality and it's not as easy to live with. Believe it or not, but this hatch can get to 100 km/h in 4.9 seconds AND consumes just 5.9 liters of fuel per 100 km combined, thanks to selectable driving models.

For a much more worthy adversary, Ford need only ask around Audi's parking lot. Their brand new RS3 still uses the 5-cylinder turbo setup, which they dropped. With 367 PS, a reworked quattro all-wheel drive system and the standard 7-speed S tronic gearbox, the Rennsport A3 blitzes 100 km/h in only 4.3 seconds.

As if this 3-way battle wasn't complicated enough to analyze, we have to look at the price as well, which of course will vary depending on the market. In Germany, the RS3 will sticker for €56,600 while a DSG-equipped Golf R is more reasonable at €41,000.

No official pricing information about the Ford is available at the moment, but the 2016 Focus RS will hit dealerships early next year at $37,900, making it slightly more expensive than the Subaru WRX STI and the $36,595 2015 Golf R (US-spec).

If money is no object, the Audi RS3 is the one to have, but those living in America aren't allowed to buy it and Ford's track toy may be an awesome substitute. Plus it comes with a pure-hearted manual gearbox!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6481
Size:  1.10 MBName:  2.jpg
Views: 8521
Size:  1.08 MBName:  3.jpg
Views: 9087
Size:  1.07 MBName:  4.jpg
Views: 6434
Size:  1.25 MB

2016 Ford Focus RS vs Golf R and Audi RS3 - Hyper Hatch Photo Comparison - autoevolution
    texasmr2 likes this.
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, re-circ valve, and Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decal, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST (Daughter)
    2016 Stealth Grey RS2, Dewey: Order placed: 30OCT2015, Built: 3MAY2016, Delivered: 31AUG2016! HG repair 31JAN18, surgery complete 9MAR18 and back home.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the RS looks from the outside, but the VAGs have nicer dashes.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I can has all 3 please?
    speedtown and KingZee like this.
    2013 TB ST2 w/ Nav,Moonroof(Envy)/ Rustoleum Black and Green rims.
    Shift boot restitched (Green)/Re-enameled shift pattern and steering wheel ST (Green)
    DMB Steering wheel, front/rear and ST badges (Green)/Calipers painted (Green)
    Engine cover painted( Green)/Boosted Designs MudflapsBlack Boosted DesignsWindshield Decal Boosted DesignsBlack Plated Shift Knob Boosted DesignsDead Pedal
    Green Filter APV3 Panda Tuned
    SmokedLED Tails

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the interior of the RS3.
    COBBST and KingZee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpwalker90 View Post
    I love the interior of the RS3.
    ^^Agreed! I owned a 2012 Audi S4 and it really is tough to beat the quality, fit, and finish of the Audi's interior!
    2017 Frozen White Focus RS1

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me the RS3 fails in two areas. Yes the interior of an Audi is top notch, but same on them and Benz for what looks like they just slapped the nav screen on top of the dash. It should be integrated into the dash, not set on top with a motorized screen. And it doesn't offer a manual transmission with a clutch. And not to mention i can't buy one here in the States. Focus RS for me.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Where are they getting these 4.5-5 second 0-60 times? I like the optimism but is that from official press releases or...?
    2002 SVT Focus
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That RS3 is so nice...except for the interior.

Member #
    Liked
    910 times
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I don't care how they look, just how they drive. VW has always been way to conservative with their set ups, making them dull and boring at the limit.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is great comparison for AWD hyper hatches, and we may have to through the Golf 400R in there at some point too. So it'll be: R v. RS v. RS3 v. 400R ... go ahead and say that with a pirate voice for dramatic affect. =)

I've watched pretty much everything I can find on these 3 cars on youtube and digested all the journalists opinions. The R and RS3 come across as extremely competent, but relatively civilized compared to the RS. I think a lot of people will choose them simply because the Ford is a bit "downmarket" in a lot of peoples minds or because they're likely to be more comfortable daily drivers. If the RS wasn't coming, they'd be near the top of my list too. I adore the sound of the 5-cylinder in the RS3. However, the sheer lunacy of the RS is what has swayed me.
    Grimix and Ca kleStack like this.
    2006 Honda S2000
    2006 Lexus GX 470

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors