Ford Focus RS Forum banner

What car would you get if you had a do-over?

37K views 191 replies 83 participants last post by  Crystals 
#1 ·
So, if you could have a do-over, what car would you get instead of the Focus RS? What about today?

I'm really not sure...a Mustang GT, GTI, or Golf R maybe. Maybe even a Fiesta ST. Today, I'd get a Veloster N probably.

#182 · (Edited)
For me, if I could have made a coupe fit into my life at the time, the sixth-gen Camaro SS would have been the best way to spend my Focus RS money. The Camaro chassis is amazing for track and drift, and the SS's LT1 V8 delivers old-school big-displacement punch and sound that the Focus RS can't match. Not to mention that with the mag ride shocks on the Camaro SS are much better at swallowing bumps and jitters than the Focus RS's shocks. The hard ride on my 2016 Focus RS really killed the buzz for me.

I actually test drive a Camaro SS (I wrote about it on my blog) while I owned my RS, and it was one of the most memorable driving days I've ever had. The Chevy ESP let me have all sorts of slip-sliding fun while the stability control was still on, and the sound and engine response was epic. That day with the SS in the canyons topped any I had in my RS or E90 M3.

What I actually bought when I did the do-over was a 2014 Cadillac CTS-V wagon. It was as close to the Camaro SS as I could get with four doors (okay, five doors!). The CTS-V has some of the best hydraulic steering I've experienced (not as precise and quick as the RS's, but with much more feel and feedback), fantastic ride quality thanks to the mag ride, plenty of space, and a ton of go. Unlike the RS or Camaro SS, the CTS-V wagon doesn't really long for a race track though; it dances, but always feels heavy. On technical backroads I know I'd be faster in the RS and I sometimes miss the marvelous torque vectoring, but wagging the CTS-V's tail is so much fun that it makes up for it.

#184 ·
I will tell u what I won't get a dodge __. I recently saw a couple videos of the BMW M5 CS that thing beats those hell kitties with no problemo.
I have 2 vehicles the RS was always my 1 choice but I had to think wisely and consider my GF and our daughter. On July of 2020 I bought a 2020 Toyota RAV4 limited the Kia stinger looked tempting also. The month of March 2021 a dealership had a LE NB 2018 with 2.6k. If I didn't get that car I might of just gone to a Honda type R. Or a FoRS But the red one with the same amount of miles I got mine

The BMW M5 CSis 140k+ car so if I come across some good investment I won't mind being optimistic in the future

I just hit 6k on 8-29-2021

#192 ·
If my car was written off, and I could not find a good RS in a short time, I would get a Ford Maverick with the 2 liter ecoboost engine from the Focus ST. There's nothing out there like an RS for the money, so I'd just settle into something nice.

Maybe a 4wd Escape, even, with the same engine. With the right wheels, they can look real nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.