Kia Stinger GT vs Focus RS. Thoughts?
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Kia Stinger GT vs Focus RS. Thoughts? within the Focus RS vs The Competition forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Ok, I know it's a little bit apples to oranges as the Stinger GT is more true to a GT car and the RS is ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kia Stinger GT vs Focus RS. Thoughts?

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok, I know it's a little bit apples to oranges as the Stinger GT is more true to a GT car and the RS is more track-oriented and truer to an RS class. However, I'm getting my RS bought back from Ford so I'm suddenly in need of a car. I test drove the Stinger GT and liked it more than I thought I would. I had a bad motor mount on my 17 RS so the car vibrated badly at idle and super bad when the AC is engaged. Sitting in the GT, I was like, is this thing even running? I don't feel the car shaking/vibrating haha... So, my only problem with the GT is that, well, apart from the fact that it's a Kia, was it was soft vs tight suspension, which didn't make for the greatest corning. Apart from that, I was impressed with the smooth engine, and take-off speed. I'm also a sucker for fast-back cars. I actually just want the RS but I'm done with all the problems. My RS has been to the dealership a gazillion times in only 6k miles. ugh....
    Noreaster
    Replacement vehicle 2018 Race Red ( in winter, using Michelin PA4s) [re-acquired 2017 RS from Ford]

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Crappy you have had so many problems with the RS. Personally mine has been flawless and I have tuned it pretty hard and beat on it regularly.

I really, really like the Stinger and if it had been out a year earlier I would have had a hell of a time choosing between the two of them. Superb GT car with a brilliant interior and the engine had a stack of potential for more. I would take significant steps to get one now if I was in the market. Check out the gains a) just from a set of fabric filters and b) an exhaust, catless DP, intake and a tune. Amazing that the tuner reckons the stock turbos have more to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    noreaster likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just made this trade a month ago. No regrets so far. I got the AWD GT1. Kia underrated these cars from the factory from MPG to crank TQ. I'm averagine 29mpg when I stay out of sport mode.
    noreaster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

RS Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    1199 times
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Also check out the new Hyundai Genesis sport G70...similar car...maybe slightly better depending on ur preferances. Kia/Hyundai have similar designs and components maybe a little better finish.

If your looking for a great awd sports sedan in the $30-40k range and willing to buy a used car, I'd highly recommend a late model B8.5 (2015 - 2016) Audi S4 or S5. These are probably some of the best all around sport sedans in that price range....and low mileage cars are available (10k -20k mi). Either the 6spd or 7spd dual clutch are great cars, I own a 2015 S4 DSG, and the supercharged engine is one of the most powerful yet flexible power plants...averages 22 mpg city, 30 hwy. Audi''s DSG is one of the best dual clutch designs for mixed use. It is not as fast as a Ferrari DSG but it is very good and excellent in urban driving. I like stick but this is the best DSG I've driven.

If you're interested, look for a premium plus version with the sport diff. The adjustable suspension is ok, but the std suspension is fine for 90% of users, IMO.

S5 is a little sportier, lower and maybe slightly better handling...sells for within a few thousand of an S4 but much less common.
    Last edited by lflouie; 08-17-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    BigFatFlip likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lflouie View Post
    Also check out the new Hyundai Genesis sport G70...similar car...maybe slightly better depending on ur preferances. Kia/Hyundai have similar designs and components maybe a little better finish.
    Yepp, G70 is supposed to bit a bit faster but it is lighter. Has a smaller back seat, no sport back, and I think they overdid the diamond stitching WAY too much.

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Seconded on the G70....same platform as the Stinger, but shortened and lighter AND with a manual option. Better styling too!

https://www.caranddriver.com/genesis/g70

Member #
    Liked
    1793 times
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Having a Hatch-back, or Sport-Back like the Stinger GT is a completely under-rated thing.

It opens up cargo choices completely.
    -Bill

1989 Pontiac TransAm GTA | Arctic White | Born 11/17/1988 | Supercalafragalisticheadscamalidocious
    2017 Ford Focus RS | Frozen White | RS2 |RS# 4266 | Born 6/4/2017 | Purchased 4/21/2018
    2016 Ford Focus RS | Stealth Grey | RS2 |RS# 4993 | Ordered 10/12/2015 | Born 5/11/2016 | Received 7/9/2016 | Death 4/16/2018 Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7638 times
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)

Also remember that there was this video:

2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, re-circ valve, and Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decal, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST (Daughter)
    2016 Stealth Grey RS2, Dewey: Order placed: 30OCT2015, Built: 3MAY2016, Delivered: 31AUG2016! HG repair 31JAN18, surgery complete 9MAR18 and back home.

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Genesis sport G70 has a trunk though.. i really like hot hatches or fastback/sportback, which the Stinger GT has. ...although, I HATE the fact that one has to get the top tier GT2 entire package just to get the auto lift for the hatch.. LAME!!!!! I want the auto lift in the GT1 trim level.
    Noreaster
    Replacement vehicle 2018 Race Red ( in winter, using Michelin PA4s) [re-acquired 2017 RS from Ford]

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriormonx View Post
    Crappy you have had so many problems with the RS. Personally mine has been flawless and I have tuned it pretty hard and beat on it regularly.

I really, really like the Stinger and if it had been out a year earlier I would have had a hell of a time choosing between the two of them. Superb GT car with a brilliant interior and the engine had a stack of potential for more. I would take significant steps to get one now if I was in the market. Check out the gains a) just from a set of fabric filters and b) an exhaust, catless DP, intake and a tune. Amazing that the tuner reckons the stock turbos have more to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoa...?! that much difference from air filter mod????!!
    Noreaster

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors