Daily drift mode? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Daily drift mode?

This is a discussion on Daily drift mode? within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Originally Posted by ProfessorFate I think it's going to be someone running a tight track that shuts down the AWD regularly. I have had mine ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Daily drift mode?

Member #
    Liked
    1656 times
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorFate View Post
    I think it's going to be someone running a tight track that shuts down the AWD regularly.
    I have had mine shut down maybe 5 times. It really didn't seem to do it anymore after the first few track days, but the last time I was out there was a nasty, nasty cross wind that was overheating some BMWs and the tensioner on my buddy's 6th gen Camaro failed from heat presumably.

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azampatti View Post
    That would be easy, put it on track mode, then press the suspension button on the left lever of the steering column and you'll have your suspension back to 'normal' soft setting, which is the default in Drift
    I misspoke. When I said suspension I meant to say drive train. I wish there was a way to be in drift mode and have the engine in track mode. There is turbo lag in drift mode that doesn't exist in track mode.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have probably about 6000 miles of daily driven drift mode, no issues whatsoever. No real tire wear but I don't roast them down or anything but I do fling it around a bit. I probably have more brake wear than anything haha. I have been interested interested taking it back out to a skid pad to play in drift mode with the ESC off. That could be the "turbo lag" we experience in drift mode is the ecu keeping you from getting into too much trouble. Even with traction control off in drift mode there is still ESC on which is basically the final training wheels haha.
    SurfCfl likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
    I have probably about 6000 miles of daily driven drift mode, no issues whatsoever. No real tire wear but I don't roast them down or anything but I do fling it around a bit. I probably have more brake wear than anything haha. I have been interested interested taking it back out to a skid pad to play in drift mode with the ESC off. That could be the "turbo lag" we experience in drift mode is the ecu keeping you from getting into too much trouble. Even with traction control off in drift mode there is still ESC on which is basically the final training wheels haha.
    I've recently learned that ESC is not completely off in track mode unless you manually turn it off after selecting track mode. It's probably the same for drift mode. The next time I autocross, I'll manually turn off ESC after selecting drift mode and see if there's a difference in turbo lag.

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    108 times
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfCfl View Post
    I've recently learned that ESC is not completely off in track mode unless you manually turn it off after selecting track mode. It's probably the same for drift mode. The next time I autocross, I'll manually turn off ESC after selecting drift mode and see if there's a difference in turbo lag.
    You're correct about ESC, but I doubt that have any effect on the"turbo lag". It might help not cutting power, but that's pretty much it.
    SurfCfl likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1396 times
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Yeah, what minimal turbo lag there is won't change. What will however is the throttle response (normal vs the other 3).
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    Tune+ | ETS | Cobb | Scorpion | Eibach | Mountune | UPR

Biz
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EnfinityX View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the service interval shortens automatically in the computer for things like the rear diff fluid but it should not cause any damage or anything.
    100% correct. The timer is running and you will need to change the diff fluid much sooner then if in Norm or Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorFate View Post
    Exactly. Normally you don't change the diff fluid, but if the computer thinks you been hard enough on it, it will prompt you for a change. I don't think anyone has reported that scenario yet.
    A couple people who track their car often have run into it already.

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's the official and only way to drive the car on snow, I'll tell you that much
    Shadow Black / Moonroof / Forged Wheels
    Ordered: 10/08
    Build date: 30.04
    Delivered: 6/16
    Hidden Content

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wet ground too..scope a 60 ft radius..1st gear 5500- 6k..easy donuts..come straight out any where in circle..freaking awsome
    GTS Daddy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors