Paint defects?
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Paint defects?

This is a discussion on Paint defects? within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; *sigh* I didn't want it to be true, but... I finally got my SB last week. It was a showroom car (my original order is ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Paint defects?

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paint defects?

*sigh* I didn't want it to be true, but... I finally got my SB last week. It was a showroom car (my original order is still delayed at the port), so when I saw it, it was covered it dust and a few scratches from wayward customers and salesmen. I requested that they do a full detail on the car, since I don't have heated facilities to do a full detail myself. Picked the car up after dark on Thursday, and wasn't able to really look at the car until this weekend, when I washed and went to apply a sealant glaze. What i thought were water spots/debris from washing.. weren't. There are two spots like the attached on the hood, another on the roof, a giant smear on the bumper, and another on the driver's side door. Any thoughts? I've sent pictures to my salesman, who will forward to the warranty rep, but..

Name:  IMG_2970.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  77.3 KB

Member #
    Liked
    977 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I honestly think having a dealer detail the car is a mistake, but I am an admitted paint snob. I told my dealer to not touch the car and to let me do it all. Granted I'm in California, so weather is less of an issue here.

Every RS I had seen so far had swirls and scratches, but mine luckily avoided it. I did find a couple of small paint flaws from the factory, but they are minor enough for me to not really mind on a mass market car. Obviously the orange peel on these cars is atrocious, but I don't feel like color sanding my car, so I will live with it.

I'm having everything in front of the doors covered in Xpel in two weeks. Unfortunately, that means I'm not driving the car until after then!

MUST

REMAIN

STRONG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grimlock
    2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS1- No options, built 9/27/2016, delivered 1/9/17
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, I'm a snob, too. If I had my druthers, absolutely I would take care of the car from the beginning. But this car was prepped before it was ever offered to me, and I'm pretty sure those marks were there from the factory.

For what they are, the dealer's detailing crew didn't do a terrible job. I'll do a better job in the spring when I can feel my hands (ONR below 30 degrees AWESOME right now), but I was shocked at these marks (they appear to be under the clear coat). Mostly curious if anyone else had similar issues, or thoughts on potential solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I honestly think having a dealer detail the car is a mistake, but I am an admitted paint snob.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Looks like wet sand runoff that got sealed under the clear coat. Same as on other cars that have been posted on the forums. I have it on my front bumper on each side near the brake ducts but not bad enough to go through the hassle of getting it repainted. Its a shame the quality control on the exterior of these cars is so sub par.
    MY17 (8888) SG RS2 w/ moonroof

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelD View Post
    Oh, I'm a snob, too. If I had my druthers, absolutely I would take care of the car from the beginning. But this car was prepped before it was ever offered to me, and I'm pretty sure those marks were there from the factory.

For what they are, the dealer's detailing crew didn't do a terrible job. I'll do a better job in the spring when I can feel my hands (ONR below 30 degrees AWESOME right now), but I was shocked at these marks (they appear to be under the clear coat). Mostly curious if anyone else had similar issues, or thoughts on potential solutions.
    Yes, others have had similar issues. Check out the Guardian Leader thread.
    MY17 (8888) SG RS2 w/ moonroof

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I got the same thing on my driver side door just under the door handle, but i got the car at 4k km and i didn't see it until i cleaned the car
    2016 shadow black Focus RS

-Eibach Pro Kit

Member #
    Liked
    977 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Paint defects?

Yeah, I have a few pieces of grit stuck in the paint, but luckily in places only I'll notice. I think I actually got pretty lucky as the car has few flaws.

One thing I did notice that was very odd to me was that when I removed the fog lights, on the driver's side there were some deep scratches all the way to the primer in a cross-hatch formation. It almost looked like tic-tac-toe in two places. This is only on the driver's side and hidden with the fog light in place. Obviously someone made these marks on purpose. I'm not sure if this is an internal marking on all cars, or just someone on the production line making their mark for some dumb reason.

Does anyone else have these?

Grimlock
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

Member #
    Liked
    977 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdouble99 View Post
    I got the same thing on my driver side door just under the door handle, but i got the car at 4k km and i didn't see it until i cleaned the car
    You have what? A piece of grit/sand embedded in the paint?

Grimlock

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    You have what? A piece of grit/sand embedded in the paint?

It look like a water stain
    2016 shadow black Focus RS

-Eibach Pro Kit

Member #
    Liked
    977 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdouble99 View Post
    It look like a water stain
    Oh, that sucks. No easy way to fix that.

Grimlock

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors