Hood stain
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

Hood stain

This is a discussion on Hood stain within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; I just notice there is a stain on the hood. It appears it's in the base paint and not on the clear coat. I'll be ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hood stain

  1. #1
    RS Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    68
    Member #
    10049
    Liked
    35 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Hood stain

    I just notice there is a stain on the hood. It appears it's in the base paint and not on the clear coat. I'll be taking it to a friends who owns a body shop and get his opinion before I take it to the dealer. I'm freaking bummed. I already ordered a 3m pro clear bla for the front end with complete hood cover. I'll be ordering Carpro Cquartz UK and apply it to the whole car. Paint is so weak just looking at it will scratch it.

    Hard to see on this picture. You have to be at the right angle to see it. It looks like a horse head...

    Name:  20170110_203902_LI.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  1.58 MB
    Last edited by jl449; 01-11-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    2017 RS SG RS2, Forged, and moon ordered on 9-13-16|schedule build 10-28-16|On the Asian King 11-21-16|Picked up on 1-5-17

  2. #2
    RS Master lordcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    HarCo, MD, U.S.
    Posts
    265
    Member #
    14729
    Liked
    123 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Another horrible QC example on the paint. Sucks to keep seeing these. A couple people have posted paint defects (myself included) in this thread, Guardian Leader - departing Zeebrugge November 7th

    You are not alone.
    jl449 likes this.
    MY17 (8888) SG RS2 w/ moonroof

  3. #3
    RS Specialist Chrisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    PHL
    Posts
    1,144
    Member #
    43
    Liked
    587 times
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    So it's not just the annoying leaking/dripping from the windshield washer nozzle?

    That sucks. I've been saying the paint sucks on these since the day I first saw one. I can't believe some people actually think it's good.
    jl449 likes this.
    Don't be afraid to look back, just never slow down.
    2016 RS / Stealth Gray / RS2 / Forged Wheels / Moonroof
    IG: Hidden Content

  4. #4
    RS Specialist EsotericRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    860
    Member #
    2036
    Liked
    480 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I would assume that you have tried to clean the area before coming to the stain conclusion, but what @Chrisp suggested is possible. It seems like every time after I use the wiper fluid a little bit seeps out and dries up around the nozzles. If it's a stain then the QC was asleep that day. FWIW my SG is flawless so not all of the paint jobs are bad, but I would think that is a warranty issue on yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp View Post
    So it's not just the annoying leaking/dripping from the windshield washer nozzle?

    That sucks. I've been saying the paint sucks on these since the day I first saw one. I can't believe some people actually think it's good.

  5. #5
    RS Specialist Chrisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    PHL
    Posts
    1,144
    Member #
    43
    Liked
    587 times
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericRS View Post
    I would assume that you have tried to clean the area before coming to the stain conclusion, but what @Chrisp suggested is possible. It seems like every time after I use the wiper fluid a little bit seeps out and dries up around the nozzles. If it's a stain then the QC was asleep that day. FWIW my SG is flawless so not all of the paint jobs are bad, but I would think that is a warranty issue on yours.
    I actually only found one rough spot in my paint upon inspection so for the most part the paint "job" wasn't as bad as other RS paint issues I've seen on here. However the quality of the paint and clear that Ford uses on the Focus is below average it seems to me. Oh well, another thing with which I remind myself it's really a $16k car.
    jl449 likes this.
    Don't be afraid to look back, just never slow down.
    2016 RS / Stealth Gray / RS2 / Forged Wheels / Moonroof
    IG: Hidden Content

  6. #6
    RS Member Bob Sacamano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeast PA
    Posts
    80
    Member #
    5337
    Liked
    35 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have a FW RS with a 1/2 pink hood (under the clear coat). There were a few of us on the Guardian Leader with color inconsistencies under the clear on all shades of paint (except NB possibly) on different body panels. This is beginning to be a trend.
    '17 FW RS Ordered 7/2/16 | Built 10/27/16 | Arrived 12/29/16 | Purchased 12/31/16

  7. #7
    RS Pro Grimlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    1,838
    Member #
    3087
    Liked
    903 times
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp View Post
    So it's not just the annoying leaking/dripping from the windshield washer nozzle?

    That sucks. I've been saying the paint sucks on these since the day I first saw one. I can't believe some people actually think it's good.
    Let's be honest, all modern paint sucks unless you are buying a McLaren or Rolls Royce. Ferrari paint sucks, Mercedes paint sucks, Corvette paint sucks, etc...

    I'm told Hyundai has the best paint of any mass market cars.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grimlock
    2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS1- No options, built 9/27/2016
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

  8. #8
    RS Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    68
    Member #
    10049
    Liked
    35 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    @Chrisp
    I used some polisher compound to clean a small section of the stain.... Nothing came off. The surface is smooth. I'll get an expert to look at it before I take it in.

    My friends FW '16 RS has a paint defect on the driver side pillar - rought spot. Ford will be fixing his issue. I have to remind myself this car is based on (as mentioned previously by chrisp ) $16k focus!
    I got Cquartz on order. Hopefully it will come in before the weekend so I can apply it on the rest of the car. Also clear bra should be coming as well but I won't install it until the hood gets fix.
    Last edited by jl449; 01-11-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    2017 RS SG RS2, Forged, and moon ordered on 9-13-16|schedule build 10-28-16|On the Asian King 11-21-16|Picked up on 1-5-17

  9. #9
    RS Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    central mass
    Posts
    25
    Member #
    13202
    Liked
    5 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
    @Chrisp
    I used some polisher compound to clean a small section of the stain.... Nothing came off. The surface is smooth. I'll get an expert to look at it before I take it in.

    My friends FW '16 RS has a paint defect on the driver side pillar - rought spot. Ford will be fixing his issue. I have to remind myself this car is based on (as mentioned previously by chrisp ) $16k focus!
    I got Cquartz on order. Hopefully it will come in before the weekend so I can apply it on the rest of the car. Also clear bra should be coming as well but I won't install it until the hood gets fix.
    Let us know how the CQuartz works out. I plan on doing this to my RS once it arrives (or maybe Crystal Serum Light or Polish Angel Glass Coat..there are too many i want to try LOL)

    Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was always under impression that you would not want the coatings under the clear bra.
    I planned on waiting to put any coating on my car till after the Xpel, Suntec, 3m what ever.... goes on.
    jl449 likes this.

  10. #10
    RS Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    68
    Member #
    10049
    Liked
    35 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayb View Post
    Let us know how the CQuartz works out. I plan on doing this to my RS once it arrives (or maybe Crystal Serum Light or Polish Angel Glass Coat..there are too many i want to try LOL)

    Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was always under impression that you would not want the coatings under the clear bra.
    I planned on waiting to put any coating on my car till after the Xpel, Suntec, 3m what ever.... goes on.
    I'm not going to apply it where the clear bra will be install . Both clear bra and cquartz will be DIY.
    2017 RS SG RS2, Forged, and moon ordered on 9-13-16|schedule build 10-28-16|On the Asian King 11-21-16|Picked up on 1-5-17

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. RS500 Bonnet/hood
    By Schultz in forum Focus RS Appearance
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-06-2017, 11:32 PM
  2. Hood Fitment
    By IronManRSOWNER in forum Focus RS Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM
  3. Paint chip on the hood of my NB already :(
    By G0BL0X in forum Focus RS Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM
  4. Hood strut installation
    By jstein77 in forum Focus RS Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2016, 05:34 PM
  5. Rust in hood
    By spd974 in forum Focus RS Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-17-2016, 01:03 PM