What's your theory on the RS NOT giving out advertised power numbers? Disappointed.
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

What's your theory on the RS NOT giving out advertised power numbers? Disappointed.

This is a discussion on What's your theory on the RS NOT giving out advertised power numbers? Disappointed. within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; How are they gonna release a car with false advertisement numbers?! This is a big issue, whether you can get a tune(or whatever) or not ...

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree539Likes

Thread: What's your theory on the RS NOT giving out advertised power numbers? Disappointed.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How are they gonna release a car with false advertisement numbers?! This is a big issue, whether you can get a tune(or whatever) or not in the future to match the numbers that they lied about its still not right. Car should of came of the lot the way it was suppose to be for the number of months ford has been saying what it outputs and hyping.

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    161 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    number 1.Ford lied number 2. the dyno is not set right number 3. ecu on vehicle is messed up number 4. tuners are exaggerating power loss to sell tunes ( very doubtful ) number 5. a little of each on a new drive system ??
    Paolo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    946 times
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    We have way too many tests for it to be a dyno calibration issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grimlock
    2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS1- No options, built 9/27/2016, delivered 1/9/17
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The car does make 300whp it Just doesn't make it repeatedly. My best guess is the ECU using a safety protection strategy. Whether it is timing corrections, charge air temp correction tables or a catalyst protection strategy has yet to be determined.
    skip, Austin, Not Focused and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Without seeing any data other than trap speeds and dyno curves, I can only surmise it's either an ECU protection strategy to only put out one full power run and then dial back, OR, it's a very fickle overboost strategy and ones the tuners start getting the ECU figured out they'll probably turn overboost permanently on like they do with the Fiesta and Focus ST's so power stays much more consistent.

Personally I'm pretty gutted to keep seeing dyno sets with 50wHP variance. It's definitely not cool for Ford to let the car into the wild knowing full well that most owners would be big-time enthusiasts with data-driven expectations.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
    The car does make 300whp it Just doesn't make it repeatedly. My best guess is the ECU using a safety protection strategy. Whether it is timing corrections, charge air temp correction tables or a catalyst protection strategy has yet to be determined.
    It's making 290-300 WHP one time, then losing 40-50 WHP, and fluctuating up and down a little from there, from run to run. It sounds like realistically it's only consistently making 300-310 HP, and only occasionally giving the full 350 HP. That is on 93 octane, as well. Personally, I think the power should be rated based on what is consistently put out, not a number that you only see once in a while. I also highly doubt the numbers will be pretty on the California 91 Octane garbage I have to use. We will have to see how things look when more people dyno and run their cars in the 1/4 mile to get a full picture of how they perform. So far the best time I saw was a 13.55@102.7 on Sport Cup 2's. With 350 HP the RS should be very low 13's, and probably 12's with Sport Cup 2's.
    wasey likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunmike1 View Post
    It's making 290-300 WHP one time, then losing 40-50 WHP, and fluctuating up and down a little from there, from run to run. It sounds like realistically it's only consistently making 300-310 HP, and only occasionally giving the full 350 HP. That is on 93 octane, as well. Personally, I think the power should be rated based on what is consistently put out, not a number that you only see once in a while. I also highly doubt the numbers will be pretty on the California 91 Octane garbage I have to use. We will have to see how things look when more people dyno and run their cars in the 1/4 mile to get a full picture of how they perform. So far the best time I saw was a 13.55@102.7 on Sport Cup 2's. With 350 HP the RS should be very low 13's, and probably 12's with Sport Cup 2's.
    I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that the car does make the claimed 350hp there is just some issue that is ****ing with it
    phntm86 likes this.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunmike1 View Post
    1/4 mile times are too variable depending on traction and driver skill. Trap speed is a much better indicator of power, and standard FoRS3s aren't setting the world on fire there. I agree that something is going on, but exactly what is yet to be determined. A lack of power would explain why some people haven't been very impressed with the acceleration.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    1/4 mile times are too variable depending on traction and driver skill. Trap speed is a much better indicator of power, and standard FoRS3s aren't setting the world on fire there. I agree that something is going on, but exactly what is yet to be determined. A lack of power would explain why some people haven't been very impressed with the acceleration.
    Skill will certainly effect the ET's, and trap speed is the best gauge for power. 98.5 MPH and 102.7 MPH are not befitting of a 350 HP car that weighs 3450 lbs. Stock Golf R's and STI's are in the 104-106 range in decent conditions, no reason the RS shouldn't at least equal those two cars. Really, it should easily surpass them.
    rader1, wasey, phntm86 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    995 times
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    Without seeing any data other than trap speeds and dyno curves, I can only surmise it's either an ECU protection strategy to only put out one full power run and then dial back, OR, it's a very fickle overboost strategy and ones the tuners start getting the ECU figured out they'll probably turn overboost permanently on like they do with the Fiesta and Focus ST's so power stays much more consistent.

Personally I'm pretty gutted to keep seeing dyno sets with 50wHP variance. It's definitely not cool for Ford to let the car into the wild knowing full well that most owners would be big-time enthusiasts with data-driven expectations.
    Hey man!
    Ryephile likes this.
    -Dave
    DD: 2016 Focus RS || Rotting ex-DD: 1995 BMW M3 || Tow Vehicle: 2005 Suburban 2500 || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || And another 2000 Integra GS-R

Too many cars.. never.

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors