Trend of cracked windshields?
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Trend of cracked windshields? within the Focus RS Discussions forums, part of the Focus RS Forums category; Adam noticed a chip/crack in my windshield when he was installing my w400 package. It was mainly a chip then but has spread almost half ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trend of cracked windshields?

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Adam noticed a chip/crack in my windshield when he was installing my w400 package. It was mainly a chip then but has spread almost half way across the windshield now.

The odd thing is he had another customer mention he also had a crack in the same place and was getting a replacement. Then I found this thread where the user has a crack at the "base" of the windshield. Windshield Specs

And another thread about a cracked windshield. Windshield replacement 2 more users in that thread have a crack in undisclosed locations.

Starting to notice a trend here. The location is odd for a rock chip as it would be a miracle it missed the hood. Not saying it isnt possible but I would be really lucky. New windshield < New paint.

The other Tune+ customer mentioned he heard it crack when the wipers were on. I have no idea when it occurred but assumed it was from a track day even with its location. If you suffered the same maybe we can get ford to look into it. If nobody else did then it must just be a coincidence.

First noticed:

Name:  1f9de23cf5.png
Views: 766
Size:  4.52 MB

As of today:

Name:  10304fbe10.png
Views: 761
Size:  1.66 MB
    Last edited by mullick; 10-19-2016 at 03:43 AM.
    MY2016 NB RS2 Forged Wheels Built: March 31st 2016 #546 or below. Delivered: June 30th 2016

Member #
    Liked
    226 times
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Looks like an impact hit.

I would think if it were a stress related fracture it wouldn't have that cratered look.

Interesting nonetheless.
    2016 NB RS2 Tune+ 93 oct tune, Forged wheels, Xpel Ultimate full front, Breedt SSK
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Looks like its just a coincidence. Most know for sure it was an impact. I just got really lucky it seems and it missed the hood
    MY2016 NB RS2 Forged Wheels Built: March 31st 2016 #546 or below. Delivered: June 30th 2016

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    651 times
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    These windshields are super thin and weak..... They pit really easy too.

When I was removing my EZ Tag from the windshield of my ST after trading it in for the RS, the windshield totally deflected as I pulled on the sticker. I was shocked how much it was deflecting as I was pulling.

You can also make it deflect outwards just by pushing on it with your finger. Kinda scary when you think about it.
    2016 Shadow Black RS 2 Thumper

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I cracked my windshield 15 minutes after purchasing the RS. Literally drove 10 miles plus on the highway and BOOM. Within next 2 hours was cracked at least 24" long. Replacement cost was $800 installed with warranty by good shop.

Hidden Content maybe stock FW RS1 with Ford Flaps

Hidden Content *Thank you local Ford ASSSHAT dealers for making me drive 900miles back with my car from Logan ,UTAH.lol. Best damn road trip ever thanks again. Yes Lake Elsinore Ford u suk, Yes Fritts Ford, Yes Gosch ,Yes Ken Grody, Yes Perry, yes to all southern California dealers. You are all a frkn joke and I wont ever go back*

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I cracked my windshield 15 minutes after purchasing the RS. Literally drove 10 miles plus on the highway and BOOM. Within next 2 hours was cracked at least 24" long. Replacement cost was $800 installed with warranty by good shop.

Did you get a direct replacement for that price? I got the one for a normal Focus because they couldn't find a direct replacement. $319 installed in my driveway

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mullick View Post
    Did you get a direct replacement for that price? I got the one for a normal Focus because they couldn't find a direct replacement. $319 installed in my driveway
    I suspect at that price it wasn't an official Ford product, but an aftermarket unit. When I did a windshield on my Vette it was over $2K because of the heads up display.

I knew a guy who had to have a windshield done in his Lamborghini Aventador, and the total bill was just under.....$50K! I assume it's made of diamonds. I know it had to be shipped in from Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grimlock
    2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS1- No options, built 9/27/2016
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I suspect at that price it wasn't an official Ford product, but an aftermarket unit. When I did a windshield on my Vette it was over $2K because of the heads up display.

I knew a guy who had to have a windshield done in his Lamborghini Aventador, and the total bill was just under.....$50K! I assume it's made of diamonds. I know it had to be shipped in from Italy.

Yea it better be made of some exotic material for that price lol. I have no idea on the price of the oem replacement but there is nothing fancy in the windshield so it shouldn't be too crazy.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mullick View Post
    Yea it better be made of some exotic material for that price lol. I have no idea on the price of the oem replacement but there is nothing fancy in the windshield so it shouldn't be too crazy.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    I'd still bet a real Ford windshield is close to $1K. Warranty usually uses an aftermarket windshield unless there is a reason they have to use a Ford product.

Grimlock
    2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS1- No options, built 9/27/2016
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1105 times
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post

that's like a quarter of the price of the entire car wtf!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors