Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Focus RS RDU Cooler - Introduction & Availability

64K views 178 replies 64 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
We are proud to introduce an RDU Cooler Kit for the 2016+ Focus RS. As many owners are painfully aware, the rear RDU is the Achilles Heel of the RS limiting track sessions because of over-heating. The only means that the RDU has for cooling is through heat dissipation via the cast heat sink fins in the case. Ironically, when packaged in the RS, the RDU and heat sink fins are effectively shielded from direct airflow by the rear cross-member. (See Picture.)

The Cool Tech RDU Cooler Kit uses existing holes to mount an inverted scoop that will direct a substantial increase of airflow across the cooling fins of the RDU and improving the cooling capacity of the unit.

This Cool Tech RDU Cooler in both form and function is founded on the same principal as Ford’s transmission cooler introduced on the Boss 302 Laguna Seca models and subsequently used across a multitude of track-driven Boss 302 Mustangs.

The RDU Cooler Kit is effectively the same as adding a fan to move air across an existing heat sink. At track speeds, the volume of air being directed across the RDU cooling fins is substantial.

We are taking pre-orders for the RDU Cooler Kits now while we await final delivery of the fastening hardware. The kits will ship on or before Thursday, Aug 11. They can be ordered from this link: RS RDU Cooler - CoolTechLLC

Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Auto part Suspension

Silver Fashion accessory Rectangle Jewellery Metal

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm curious as well...

And how about a forum member discount for initial group of buyers?

#5 ·
Lol... just saying plus can't hurt to ask! Plus I hope this really works or that single Benjamin is a waste....

#7 ·
Have you made and/or tested prototypes? Any data to quantify the claimed temp reductions? Speed dependent data would be excellent.

I'm not saying your product doesn't work - I really want it to. I'm just a little skeptical before seeing some numbers. If keeping the RDU cool was this easy I think ford would have jumped on it (like they did the boss 302 tranny that was mentioned). It was a known issue during RS development.

From your website it looks like you make similar products for other cars. Test data from those would probably be enough to shut me up :)

#12 ·
^This. The mod is worthless without defensible data to back up the claims. Sorry to be so blunt, but any aftermarket companies like Mishimoto are famous for grossly overstating gains and inventing parts for problems that really don't exist. Data, especially 3rd party data, is worth it's weight in gold when proving your part works. As buyer of aftermarket parts for the past 2 decades, I can admit I've been taken by numerous aftermarket companies and their claims.

#9 ·
Love the idea... Good on you guys! Will be interesting to see what temp drops may be like in the real world.

#13 ·
Have you made and/or tested prototypes? Any data to quantify the claimed temp reductions? Speed dependent data would be excellent.

I'm not saying your product doesn't work - I really want it to. I'm just a little skeptical before seeing some numbers. If keeping the RDU cool was this easy I think ford would have jumped on it (like they did the boss 302 tranny that was mentioned). It was a known issue during RS development.

From your website it looks like you make similar products for other cars. Test data from those would probably be enough to shut me up
No need to want to "shut you up"! You ask some good questions - I would do the same.

The reality is that I am a little embarrassed that we have not yet found the time to get the RS to a track and make some tests. Ironically, we are very wrapped up in NASA racing and preparing for the upcoming Championships in October. Nevertheless, we are trying to find some time to get out to our home track at Spring Mountain Motorsports with the RS.

About our "other products" and how our name "Cool Tech" was derived, in 2006 we introduced a Transaxle Cooler for the Ford GT as one of our first products and it was wildly successful and we sold hundreds - no doubt matching if not exceeding sales of Ford's own similar unit. Fast forward to the Boss 302 era of 2012, and we introduced and continue to sell what we believe is the best-available engine oil cooler kit. The heart of our kit is a $600 developed-for-Porsche Setrab heat exchanger that not only is the best on the market but has the lowest pressure drops of any available cooler - regardless of size. A certain automotive company asked to collaborate with us and to share testing results - and we did that with great success.

But, back to the RS. In short, the RDU employs a heat sink that represents its entire means of shedding heat. There are many publications about the effectivity improvement of heat sinks when there is increased airflow across them. This is what we have done with the relatively low-cost RDU Cooler Kit. We are still looking at the market's appetite for an even more comprehensive, albeit considerably more expensive, solution which would be comprised of lines attached to the RDU, a pump, wiring, and thermostatic on/off control. We are very familiar with these systems but they will be at a price-point that is minimally several hundred dollars.... and likely only really appealing to a fraction of owners. In contrast, this RDU Cooler Kit is a little bit of a "no-brainer". We will share data openly as soon as we are able to get it but in the interim there's little doubt for us that we have improved the heat dissipation capabilities of the OEM in a very non-intrusive, warranty-friendly way. Last comment: It is our speculation that the same or similar type of cooler IS in the planning stages at Ford Performance but this won't be the first time we've beat them to market and beat them on price. :)

#14 ·
RDU temp etc can be monitored with ForScan. The entire AWD module is available. I've messed with it a little, and can see all sorts of cool data about Tq commands, temps, voltages applied, hydraulic pressures, etc.

If someone has access to one of CoolTechs prototypes (or if they were to purchase their own) and ForScan, they could do some rudimentary testing. Most impressive thing would be to get the car into the wind tunnel. Sadly, ours is booked until like December...

#17 ·
As there is no temp sensor in the RDU do you know how the temp figure is obtained? Can you see the PTU temp as well?

Reactions: braap and Grimlock
#15 ·
I don't know enough about it myself, but other members were saying that there are no temperature sensors in the RDU and that the ECU is just basing when to shut it down on a calculation. If that's true then you're product would do nothing to prevent the premature shutdown of the RDU.

#16 ·
@CoolTech thanks for the response. You make some very good points and I see where you're coming from, but the fact that this thing is for sale and has never been tested on a car raised too many red flags for me.

Even with your past success, I'm going to reserve judgement until I see data. "We sold a bunch/outsold Ford" and "the product performs as advertised" are different measurements of success (yes, I am salty from past experiences). Can you quantify "wildly successful" for the Ford GT parts with a temperature reduction number?

There have previous discussions about a pump-type cooler, so I suspect the interest is there. I'm one of them. But I disagree about the "no brainer" standpoint. For example, if the scoop only gets me an extra 3 minutes at the track, I'll be saving my $100 and putting it towards a pump system. Then there's the (small) risk that it negatively affects cooling at around-town speeds... or AutoX

If time is a testing constraint, I'm sure there is a forum member (with a car!) who will put it through its paces for you. There are several reports of "AWD off" during track sessions already. If you solve that, I think you'll have a small army in line for your product.

Even with all my negativity, I am excited to see how this performs. Anxiously awaiting test results.

#22 ·
The RDU does not employ a temperature sensor. If it did, it would make data collection and testing far easier. Those of you accusing us of making exaggerations or false claims, I ask that you please re-read our original post. We haven made absolutely NO claims regarding temperature drops or the possibility of longer track sessions. If we had data to make these assertions, trust me, we would share. At this point we are only trying to share some facts, namely;

1. Ford has specifically cited the heat limitations of the RDU as being an inhibitor to prolonged track sessions.
2. The only means of cooling of the RDU is heat dissipation through its finned casing.
3. The RDU is quite visibly shielded from direct airflow by the large crossmember that it sits immediately behind.
4. Our solution scoops air from below this crossmember and channels it directly onto the cooling fins of the RDU
5. There are numerous technical documents showing the benefits of increased airflow across a heat sink

This is what we have said. When and if we have more data to share about temperature reductions, increased track session limits, etc. we will do that.

#23 ·
Some very interesting information coming from this, you're the first offering on RDU cooling so expectations are high. As @Cam mentioned there is a RDU temperature value in forscan, so how the AWD module is getting this value is the bigger question at this point. If it is driven by the PTUs temp sensor and scaled by a preset variable then maybe the PTU is the real issue. It does have water cooling, heavier oil and a temp sensor so it is obviously more susceptible to temperature issues. We need someone to monitor RDU temps realtime with a probe in the drain plug of the RDU and compare with what the AWD module is reporting.

#32 ·
I appreciate Cooltech's approach. It would be nice to have data, but it makes sense that the unit will increase the airflow across the RDU and that is good. The way I see it, for $90: can't hurt, might help. To me, it is worth $90 to me even if I don't know exactly how much it will help at this point. It will hold me over until a more robust cooling unit is developed.

Note to Cooltech: I would be one of those in the market for a more 'comprehensive' RDU cooler. I am sure there will be quite a few others as well.

#33 ·
While I'm not saying the part doesn't cool the RDU, I do think it may not help with the "Achilles Heel" (that being lose of AWD due to RDU temps too high) mentioned in OP. Most readers when they read something that mentions a design short coming and offers a product to correct that would see the mentions of limited track time due to RDU heat and think this product WILL resolve that. Right now we have no evidence that that would be the case with this.

If the temp is not from an actually sensor in the RDU and is calculated this alone may have no impact on preventing the lose of AWD. It may help, but it would depend on how the temp is calculated. If some of the parameters for that calculation the pressure in the RDU verse pump load this could help. There are still too many unknowns for how the car's drive line works to know if this will do more than have the fluid run cooler and still be in better condition when the change is due based one the calculations for service requirements. Perhaps that is enough of a reason to get it.

Looking forward to more testing.

Reactions: Grimlock
#36 ·
Great points in this thread. I am very interested to see how and if the ECU actually knows the RDU is cooler. If this cooler does nothing to resolve this, then I don't think it is of much value. I think the factory is way overprotective with the RDU based on Cobb's ratings of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.