Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Turbo timer

11K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  JahjaMan 
#1 ·
Do we need them?

My car is still sub 200 miles, and every time I've arrived at my destination I sit and idle for a few minutes. Just out of habit. It's easy now since things are still new and exciting to me.

But once/if that love wears off, would a turbo timer be a smart investment? Or are modern turbos and materials more resilient?

#2 · (Edited)
Nice question.

I always use common sense and after a long drive with turbo , always idle for a few minutes.
There was a sticker on my old wrx driver door which said and I quote, "after heavy highway driving allow car to idle for 1 minute before turning off..."

That's good enough for me.
:)

This too is an interesting read on the Focus RS twin scroll.

#11 ·
This.

#5 ·
How does the auto stop/start factor into this?

I usually just drive easy in the last couple of mins Tom a destination Andy let it idle as I am grabbing my stuff to leave. Nothing over the top, but not a major inconvenience. Have always donethis with all my turbo cars over the years. I'm not sure how relevant it is these days though with advances in tech etc.

#8 ·
I always use common sense and after a long drive with turbo , always idle for a few minutes.
There was a sticker on my old wrx driver door which said and I quote, "after heavy highway driving allow car to idle for 1 minute before turning off..."

That's good enough for me.

I remember that sticker too. Made you feel like you were driving something a bit special.

I will always let my RS idle after a blast on boost. Certainly won't do any harm. I always deactivate stop/start as part of my pre-drive check. That and switch drive mode to Sport. Other forums are now recommending Track with softer dampers and traction control on.

#12 ·
I like a nicely glowing turbo when I park in the garage to help melt all the snow and ice off the car so it is ready for the next drive.

Reactions: Frozen Mike
#18 ·
What is this snow/ice stuff, today here in Adelaide it is 41 celsius/106 Fahrenheit!

#13 ·
This is my 5th turbo car in a row, 1st one was in 2006.

I've done (as said here) the last couple of minutes of driving at no boost, high gears, and that's pretty much it. On my last car, if by any chance I was "racing" home and since it was heavily modded and had no heat shields on the turbo, I've opened the hood with the engine idling for 2 mins. But those were extreme situations :)

#14 ·
The track use section of the manual talks about leaving the car running for a short time after track use, it also mentions a cool down lap. And apparently failure to let things cool down will result in a high coolant temperature message appearing.

#16 ·
thanks guys!

#19 ·
As a few have already mentioned, water cooled turbos means that the hot turbo will continue to be cooled by water, even if the water pump has been turned off - through siphoning action. No need for a turbo timer, but not driving the car hard in the last few mins won't hurt :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.