Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Wah... PCM update ruins the character of the exhaust!

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  shaddai 
#1 ·
I'm hoping giving it time to recalibrate will help, but the pops, crackles, and burbles used to have a lot more character to them, as well as multiple pops almost immediately after taking my foot off the gas. Now there's maybe one pop, and it's like 1/4 to 1/2 second later.

Totally ruined.

Lame.

#4 ·
My 2017 pops A LOT. I assume I'm running the latest updated version because I don't see any recalls available. I'm still breaking her in (about 200 miles on the odo), so I've been sticking to half throttle inputs, with occasional 3/4 throttle. But I can tell you when I go 3/4, I get probably like 3 or 4 pops between shifts. Makes me giggle like a little school girl everytime. I'll get some pops even at half throttle sometimes. Have yet to go WOT.

#5 ·
I agree. In sport mode if I shift around 3-4 thousand under med-heavy throttle I'll get one delayed pop. If I shift higher I'll get two delayed pops, but they're like "pop....pop".

Although I noticed in normal mode if I shift at 4k+ with heavy throttle I'll get "popopop" quickly. IMO it's a much better sound although I'm thinking of having all the pops tuned out because it's gotten old to me and is just too artificial.

#7 ·
I went on a spirited drive last night and I was able to get a few multiple quick crackles but nowhere near what it used to do. I never drive in regular mode so I have nothing to compare there. I love the added drama... this car wouldn't be as fun without it.

#10 ·
Sport mode right at 4k single pop for each gear. Its VERY consistent. Adding slight more gas during shift I can add more 2 or 3 smaller little pops.

Its a taste thing. TBH I wish I could turn off the pops in sport mode (understanding normal mode does this).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.