Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Sleepers build thread

78K views 293 replies 63 participants last post by  nickjust26 
#1 ·
Alrighty, thought it was about time to get a build thread going. Car arrived in Texas on May 29th. Had it shipped out here to Cali and I had the keys 4 days later

Found a good spot for the blanking plate too

First thing coming right off the truck, we removed the blanking plate and threw it on the dyno for some break in and some baseline pulls. Window sticker still installed...

Heres what a stock 2015 STi does against the RS

Had some parts already to go on the car. Knew it was probably going to have some of the same faults the ST has. Cobb RMM went on. Then a couple of days later Turbosmart sent us some parts for testing

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Photo shoot time! Got my buddy to take some shots, and some shots of the Cobb AP for the release

Also was the perfect time to try out drift mode

Right now the car is getting clear bra. Then its on to fine tuning for some E30 goodness and installing a Turbosmart IWG for testing.

Also just got some Diode Dynamics LED's for the brakes and reverse lights. Once I get the car back Ill do a side by side comparison.

#3 · (Edited)
Current mod list

Engine/Trans:
COBB filter
COBB rear motor mount
COBB AcessPort Ptotuned by Snail Perfomance
ETS intake
Turbosmart Kompact 50/50 BOV
Turbosmart wastegate actuator with 14psi spring
ETS intercooler w/pipes
Miltek cat back exhaust
Miltek catless downpipe
Mountune PTU brace
Radium PCV plate
Mountune quick shifter
UPR oil cap breather
Radium catch can
Your little CNC shop trans cable bushings
Your little CNC shop shifter base bushings

Suspension:
Pedders Coilovers w/ camber plates 7k springs front and rear
Whiteline 24mm front sway bar
Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway bar
Whiteline front endlnks
Massive rear camber arms
Pierce Motorsports front H-Brace
Pierce Motorsports RDU braces
Rays 57DR 18x8.5 +38
Goodridge steel braided brake lines
2.9* front camber 1.8* rear camber. Zero toe

Misc. crap
Euro rear diffuser
Euro center console
Anderson Composites carbon fiber hood
Redline hood struts
Grimmspeed lightweight battery tray
Steeda clutch assist spring

#4 ·
Oh god you are making me drool at your car. I'm so jealous right now haha. I can't wait to get my RS!! Then maybe I can race you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Looking forward to this thread!

I am curious about the Turbosmart installs. The picture seems to show you have the BOV body set pretty far soft, have you had to make any adjustments to it? Did you install the waste gate as well? I can't seem to find any guidance on the waste gate install and I don't want to go into the task totally blind with my limited tool collection and crappy jack/stands that give me next to no room to work with :(

How is the COBB RMM as far as added NVH?

P.s. I'm hoping to come visit my mom in Sacramento in the nearby future, I'd love to see your car if you're willing, perhaps you can show me that parking lot there so I can really turn my RS loose on drift mode :)

#6 ·
Thanks! Yea I've made a few adjustments to the bov. We were given two different Springs to test. I have the stiffer one in there now so that's why it's set a little soft. These cars also control the bov through the ecu. It's pretty trick some of the things it does with it.

So here's how it works: there's a 3 port switching valve. It's connected to a boost refrence, brake booster (for vacuum) and the bov. The stock is very simple in construction and has a dinky spring. When in the throttle, the 3 port puts a lot of boost pressure behind the diaphragm to keep it shut. When you lift the throttle, the 3 port switches to the vacuum and opens the valve. So if you have switched yours, you'll notice the valve hangs open for a really long time and will vent a lot even at no loads. It's a good thing, just pretty loud. The ecu can also command the valve open in certain situations to help spool up, or to limit boost pressure/torque.

We found that in 6th gear and cruising with light throttle, the bov actually opens and STAYS OPEN. This is to help spin the turbo up faster because there's no restrictions. So if you give it gas in 6th gear, the spool up is really fast. It's a good feature, but pretty annoying going down the freeway because it's venting air and kinda loud Haha.

So we have been working with turbosmart and put some parts on from the Ecoboost Mustang to eliminate the ecu's ability to control the bov. You can see the pictures above of the install (the ones with the plastic engine cover off). It's a pretty simple install and we just turned off the 3 port with the AP. The way we installed it is pretty clean and you wouldn't know it's there unless you were really looking.

I haven't gotten around to the waste gate yet, but that's next. We have two different Springs to test on that as well. Just by looking, getting the heat shield out of the way, removing the plastic cowl, and maybe the intake, should give you enough room. I'll do a write up and post here when we get it done. Big thing is were were waiting on the Cobb AP, and once we had the pre release we were messing with that and getting other data to turbosmart about the bov first. So probably in the next week or two I'll tackle that.

The Cobb RMM did add quite a bit of vibration especially at idle and with the a/c on. We raised the idle to 1000 and it's helped a lot. But other than at idle, I hardly notice it.

Yea man come on up! Check out the shop and whatnot. And that way you can take a closer look at things on my car on what I've done so far. Still more to come!

#11 ·
Got the car back from clear bra. Super impressed with the outcome! I had no idea, but he ended up doing my headlights, fog lights, and fuel door as well. And completely wrapped all the edges. A++ in my book.

So ever since I installed a Cobb filter and Moutune elbow, Ive been getting the whistle sound from the intake. Sounds much like air going over the mouth of a coke bottle. Its especially loud on cold start and during low throttle application. The Mountune sound suppressor chamber came in the mail today so I threw it on

No more whistle! It was driving me crazy!

Also threw some Diode Dynamics LED's in. Tried to get some side by side with the stock bulbs but it didnt come out well on my phone. I got the brightest LED's they offer and they are quite a bit brighter.

Also just got word that my car will be in the Turbosmart booth at SEMA! So if any of you are making it out there this year, swing on by!

#13 ·
Mike over at Appearance Solutions. By far the best experience I've ever had.

$2200 got me:
Bumper (even the flat black section in the middle)
Headlights
Fog lights
Full hood
Full fenders
Kick panels all the way down-also the splash section on the rear bumper
Door cups
Rear lift gate ledge
Fuel door

Car was detailed In and out. Full color correction before the film is applied. And all edges of the clear bra are wrapped. Most people don't even know the car has a clear bra on it

#16 · (Edited)
Couple quick pictures of the clear bra done.

And did some auto x this weekend. Mostly my fault on over cooking a corner and getting the car to understeer. Priorities for me are wider wheels/rubber and some good suspension to get some more camber in the front.

Quick edit: to all of those concerned about "dynamics" of the car, or worried about the RDU when adding power. I'm putting down just shy of 400wtq in this car. Ran it in morning and afternoon sessions, as well as fun runs in 100 degree heat. Today's fun run consisted of three of the fastest guys out there thrashing the car 7 laps back to back. Using track and drift mode. Car never skipped a beat and no problems whatsoever. And the car still rotated and came around no problem with the extra power. Handling wasn't affected one bit. All smiles and smoking tires!

#19 ·
I like the way it pulls out of the corners, what's you dyno readings? You say this is Cobb's stage 1?

#21 ·
Its actually on a E30 blend right now. Roughly 330whp/400wtq. Heres a graph of stock, Cobb stage 1, and protuned. I'll try and grab a shot of the E30 map later. Text Line Font Design Pattern

Awesome man, is that stock exhaust? Did he tune in "Pops+" or something, 'cause that thing sounds like a firefight in Fallujah.
Nope! Thats all stock and we havent played with adjusting the burbles yet. I think the exhaust pops and burbles a lot more than we think being inside the car. We just tend to hear them when theyre really loud because the car is so well sealed and quiet.

But yea, I want to mess with the burble setting in the AP this week. Would be fun to see what we can tweak with it.

#22 ·
Nope! Thats all stock and we havent played with adjusting the burbles yet. I think the exhaust pops and burbles a lot more than we think being inside the car. We just tend to hear them when theyre really loud because the car is so well sealed and quiet.

But yea, I want to mess with the burble setting in the AP this week. Would be fun to see what we can tweak with it.
Great. Really love it. I might have to keep the windows rolled down a lot.

#23 ·
What a blast, the car looks great! Clear-bra came out super sano.

Jim

Reactions: Sleeper
#26 · (Edited)
...Wastegate Actuator Install Video...
Okay wow - I come from many years of modding Mazdaspeeds...but I have to say every time I go and research the upgrades I'm looking at for my RS I am shocked at how much the community is completely invested in this car...install videos for all kinds of parts, great writeups, lots of technical manuals being found, electrical pinouts being detailed and documented...this is seriously a night and day difference from any car modding community I have ever looked at/been involved in - sure they usually have a lot of information, but most everything I have seen is very professionally done here

great video, super detailed and helpful - a lot of details that will help ensure I keep my car in as nice of shape as possible while working on it...I'm so glad I went with the RS now because I feel right at home with this community's mentality

#28 ·
@Sleeper are you guys planning on doing a video for the exhaust in various conditions/loads? I feel like the manufacturer "videos" have been super lacking so far.

#29 ·
Yes sir! Blake is making a video as we install the exhaust this weekend. If talked to him about doing various shots of the exhaust.

I'm open to suggestions of what you guys want to see/hear. He can mic up the exhaust so you can hear it as we drive. Also have some spots where we can do a drive by. I'll be sure to do easy driving mixed with some WOT as well.

#33 ·
Hey, I'm the one doing all the work. He just films :p

But yea if you want, we can install that stuff for you no problem. Paul is owner and you would have to schedule with him. You will just need to have a map ready to go (I believe I saw you were using TUNE+).

#31 ·
Milltek downpipe as well or just catback? I'm debating on going with a downpipe or leaving as is being not much power can be had. The wastgate actuator is something I want to tackle but being the additional tune has to be purchased in excess to the Accessport I am going to have to wait and save a bit.

#32 ·
Just the cat back. Yea, since not much power is to be had with a downpipe, Ill spend the money elsewhere for now. But Im sure down the road when I'm bored I will end up buying one haha

Plus with a track day coming up, I have an intercooler, wheels, and tires coming.

#36 ·
Alright, installed it last night Auto part Automotive exhaust Vehicle Exhaust system Muffler

Vehicle Auto part Car

Vehicle Auto part Car

Pipe Muffler Automotive exhaust Auto part Carbon

So as you can see, I got the resonated version. And it's crazy how quiet it makes this exhaust. It actually necks down to a 2.5" inside the resonator and it is a straight through design. But with this resonator, it's maybe slightly louder than stock. So if you want to stay quiet, yet have better flow and drop some weight this is the way to go.

Today I had a custom mid pipe made so I could drop the resonator. Night and day difference! And it sounds amazing. The pops and bangs are insanely loud, and you hear a lot of the turbo at idle.

Blake shot a few clips for sounds right after we installed it, but like I said, it's quiet and nothing great. We are going to do more clips now since I took out the resonator. I'm super happy with this exhaust. Sounds fantastic, no drone, and is pretty low key when looking at the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.