Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Unofficial Update- Sync3 v2.2 with Android Auto and Apple*Car Play

369K views 867 replies 256 participants last post by  Jpky16 
#1 · (Edited)
I do not take credit for this, nor am I responsible if it does any damage. However, this has been confirmed to work for dozens of RS owners.

Instructions:

Choose the appropriate update below based on navigation or non-navigation head unit. To perform update, you will need a flash drive formatted in "exFAT" or "Fat32" format at least 2GB in size. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR SOFTWARE/RADIO ISSUES.

Apple CarPlay will require an updated USB hub to work. USB hub part number HU5Z-19A387-A The hub is not required for the update but Apple CarPlay will NOT work until you switch to the updated hub.
https://www.worldoemparts.com/worldfordparts/oe-ford/hu5z19a387a

Here is the new download links from Ford Direct for Navigation Equipped
Navigation Equipped: http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-package/715283556826568730/HN1T-14G381-LG.zip

Here are the old download links (someone uploaded to Google Drive)
Download link for navigation units, read-me in zip file (total size 1.6 GB).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9VXdRFNhi2pJUqI3tkKrP7zBNLsQ
Download link for non-navigation unit, read-me in zip file, TWO PART INSTALL READ CAREFULLY(total size 2.15GB)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9VXdRFNhi2pJUs7d7qZucSY2aLhw

This update is confirmed*working on:
Fusion
Fiesta
Focus
Mustang
F-150
FOCUS RS

Adding a how-to video that someone made (NOT ME).

See less See more
#11 ·
Just did mine. Worked perfectly. NAV still updating, but readme says it may take time. Options now shows a screen for Android Auto. Just need to get the USB module upgrade to try Carplay. But the part is basically impossible to get right now. Some parts suppliers say no longer available, others out of stock. My backorder went from 12/20 ETA to no ETA.

Reactions: rcyhww
#13 ·
Can I drive around while updating?

#17 · (Edited)
I can confirm update works and that AA works as well. I'll have a video up shortly showing it working. Its also safe to say that the update is pretty safe, cause mine went about as unsmoothly as it could. Loaded onto 32gb flashdrive and started updated ~55min went by with it just saying update is in progress. at that point I pulled car back in garage and shut engine off, but left it powered up. I let it sit like that for about another 10 min while I loaded up update onto another 2gb flash drive thinking that may be the issue....Knowing it was a bad idea, but didn't want my battery to go dead I finally turned the car off and unplugged the Flash drive.

I started the car back up (with no flash drive) and sync starts normally but still freaking says updating. It was at this point I was getting worried.
I then put the new flashdrive into usb port (same one as before under the radio) and just let it sit for about 30min while I went inside to warm up. when I came back out it was all updated :)

EDIT: Here is Video showing AA working. sorry for the bad quality/blurriness

#18 ·
I can confirm update works and that AA works as well. I'll have a video up shortly showing it working. Its also safe to say that the update is pretty safe, cause mine went about as unsmoothly as it could. Loaded onto 32gb flashdrive and started updated ~55min went by with it just saying update is in progress. at that point I pulled car back in garage and shut engine off, but left it powered up. I let it sit like that for about another 10 min while I loaded up update onto another 2gb flash drive thinking that may be the issue....Knowing it was a bad idea, but didn't want my battery to go dead I finally turned the car off and unplugged the Flash drive.

I started the car back up (with no flash drive) and sync starts normally but still freaking says updating. It was at this point I was getting worried.
I then put the new flashdrive into usb port (same one as before under the radio) and just let it sit for about 30min while I went inside to warm up. when I came back out it was all updated :)
Wow that was scary! I am also the impatient one while upgrading android firmware and bricked a few android phones in the past. I know how it feels...

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Please note, this is an unofficial release so Ford has not released it yet. I believe someone on the F150 forum figured this out and within hours every other ford forum was trying it.

I assume when Ford does officially release it, they will install it for you but will charge you for the install.

#34 ·
Do we have any SHA hashes of source files so we can check against download corruption before attempting to flash to expensive car?

#36 ·
Just updated and everything worked fine. Make sure to follow the readme.txt file instructions.

Once you uncompress the original ..zip file you must then uncrompress the upgradefile.zip to your USB drive.

From there Sync should see the drive and start the update once you plug it in.

#38 ·
Has anyone tried to open the .img files to view contents? I was just wondering if it contained images or anything that we can alter, repack, and then update, such as background or splash screen. Unfortunately, I can't open the .img files. Windows is telling me they are corrupt.

#46 ·
I doubt it will work as you would have be able to properly update the der files with updated SHA-256 hashes and sizes. But I think this is some signing action that includes some other data that the system can see the files and or the der were tampered with and reject update, but if you are adventurous give it a shot and let us know.

Sorry,*no SHA*hashes. Though I have heard the update will not even begin if the flashdrive and files are not formatted correctly.
I found the der files have SHA-256 hashes for the tar.gz files and I can validate them at that level. Just have to hope any signing key in the der is good.

#39 ·
I do not take credit for this, nor am I responsible if it does any damage. However, this has been confirmed*to work for numerous RS owners.

Someone posted on the ST forums, just cross posting here.

Choose the appropriate update below based on navigation or non-navigation head unit. To perform update, you will need a flash drive formatted in "exFAT" or "Fat32" format at least 2GB in size. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR SOFTWARE/RADIO ISSUES.

Apple CarPlay will require an updated USB hub to work. USB hub part number HC3Z-19A387-B. The hub is not required for the update but Apple CarPlay will NOT work until you switch to the updated hub.

Download link for navigation units, read-me in zip file (total size 1.6 GB)
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=wvQm&id=0ByldYbWwjAf4VXpfdnVNNlVjdzg

Download link for non-navigation unit, read-me in zip file, TWO PART INSTALL READ CAREFULLY(total size 2.15GB)
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=IKl5&id=0ByldYbWwjAf4WUYyT2l0Zkl3S28

This update is confirmed*working on:
Fusion
Fiesta
Focus
Mustang
F-150
FOCUS RS

CREDIT GOES TO jm061 from F150Forum.com. You can buy Jason a beer by sending donations to jason@fordpimods.com via PayPal. Please DO NOT send Jason any emails as he doesn't check it.
Apple CarPlay will require an updated USB hub to work. USB hub part number HC3Z-19A387-B. The hub is not required for the update but Apple CarPlay will NOT work until you switch to the updated hub.

Who's part number is H3CZ-19A387-B? Is it a Ford number?

#41 ·
When do we expect to see cars delivered from the factory with this update already installed? Is this something that needs to be installed back in Germany or is this something that can be completed at modcenter? i am set to take delivery any day now (dec 11th, it's late surprise.) I will be very surprised if this update is already complete when i take delivery

#42 · (Edited)