Android Auto will now support Waze....and more!
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Android Auto will now support Waze....and more! within the Focus RS Electronics forums, part of the Focus RS Garage category; Source: The Verge Considering that Google owns Waze, it might seem a little odd that the popular crowdsourced mapping service wasn't already on Android Auto. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Android Auto will now support Waze....and more!

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Name:  Waze_copy.0.0.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  98.9 KB
    Source: The Verge
    Considering that Google owns Waze, it might seem a little odd that the popular crowdsourced mapping service wasn't already on Android Auto. But soon, it will be: Google announced at I/O today that Waze will be coming to the company's in-car infotainment platform.

Google says that Waze has been its single most-requested feature since the commercial launch of Android Auto last year, which is now shipping from 18 automotive and aftermarket head unit brands. Though Google offers some of Waze's crowdsourced data through Google Maps – accident reports, for instance – Waze itself is considerably richer, offering features like speed trap warnings and speed limit indicators. In some cities, Waze has gained particular popularity with taxi and ride-share drivers (coincidentally, Toyota's Camry, Avalon, and Highlander are popular ride-share vehicles, but Toyota is still holding out on supporting products like Android Auto and CarPlay).

The launch of Waze for Android Auto will mark the first time that a non-Google Maps navigation app has come out for the platform, which will automatically become available through the UI if you have the Waze app installed on your phone. The updated software is expected to launch in the next few months.

Source: Cnet
    Android Auto traditionally works with compatible infotainment systems in cars, enabling your Android-powered smartphone to take over the car's built-in display. Once it's connected via USB, users can easily get navigation and hands-free messaging and run hundreds of apps such as Spotify in a legal, distraction-free way.

Soon, it'll be getting even better. Waze is the chief enhancement, Google's community-driven navigation app.

Waze has "a very large and a very active user base, a very committed user base, and they've been calling out to be able to use that in Android Auto," Patrick Brady, director of Android engineering, told me. "We're working with the Waze team to make that happen."
    Waze will include easy viewing of incidents reported by other Wazers and the ability to quickly report new incidents via voice or easy touch.

Waze hasn't been in Android Auto previously because of the system's use of predefined templates that all apps must fit within. For this release, a new template has been released, meaning you'll have your choice of basic Google Maps navigation or Waze, the latter of which will include all the things that have made it so popular on phones, including easy viewing of incidents reported by other Wazers and the ability to quickly and easily report new incidents via voice or easy touch.

Waze will likely be the most significant app adding Android Auto support this year, but the service itself is about to receive numerous major updates, including the ability to work without a compatible car. Currently, if you want to use Android Auto you need to buy a new car or add a compatible head unit to your ride. Soon, you'll be able to run Android Auto directly on your phone, meaning you could clip it to your dashboard and have access to all the compatible apps and voice-driven power.
    Android Auto 2016

Soon, Android Auto will run even without a compatible headunit.

"The interface will be tailored for the phone," Brady said, "but immediately recognizable as Android Auto."

Android Auto is also getting easier to use with just your voice, adding hot-wording support. While in the car, you'll be able to just say something like, "OK, Google, take me home." The phone will always be listening.

Finally, if you're sick of plugging in your phone (and if it has a really robust battery), Android Auto will now work wirelessly over Wi-Fi -- in compatible cars, at least.

Android Auto is already launched in about 100 models, "but by the end of the year we expect for that number to at least double," Brady told me. "In automotive terms it's pretty quick." With the addition of Waze, not to mention the ability to work in any car, expect to be seeing a lot more of Android Auto for the rest of the year.
    @KingZee

Member #
    Liked
    1360 times
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Cool! what a poor looking head unit is that from a Skoda?
    Life is too short to drive boring cars

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1233 times
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Whatever platform comes to market first (carplay vs. android auto) is basically going to determine my next smart phone. Nice find!
    RS2SG likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if Sync 3 will support wi-fi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grimlock
    2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS1- No options, built 9/27/2016, delivered 1/9/17
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

Member #
    Liked
    1593 times
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZee View Post
    Whatever platform comes to market first (carplay vs. android auto) is basically going to determine my next smart phone. Nice find!
    They've both been on the market for months now and the RS will support both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    Does anyone know if Sync 3 will support wi-fi?
    Sync3 supports WiFi. That's how the software gets updates. I doubt that that connection could be used by Android Auto/CarPlay, but even if it could we likely wouldn't be getting that update for years. Google hasn't even released that functionality yet, and once that happens Ford still has to integrate it into a compatible update package.
    Last edited by randman2011; 05-18-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

1997 Eclipse GST Spyder - FP T28, Link v3, RC550, "Edgar" - DEAD
    1995 Talon TSi AWD - EVO III 16G, Link v3, RC550, HRC FMIC, "Viktor" - SOLD
    1999 Eclipse GST Spyder - Completely stock, Not worthy of a name - DEAD AND SOLD
    1994 Miata - Montego Blue, "Rusty"
    1997 Miata - Classic Red, MegaSquirt, FX-R 3.0, GT2560R@11.5psi, "Richard"
    2012 500 Abarth - Nero, Tork Tuned, DV+, "Alessandro"
    2000 Ford Ranger - Oxford White, "Dusty"

Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randman2011 View Post
    They've both been on the market for months now and the RS will support both at the same time.
    If Android and Sync 3 works with wi-fi, that might sway me away from Apple. I don't like having to connect my phone....I don't want to deal with wires!

I can always just permanently connect an iPod like I did with my Pioneer head unit, but I like the idea of connecting my phone through wi-fi so I can use other apps.
    Grimlock
    "Dynamically, the RS is in a different league than the others, maybe even playing a different sport." - Car & Driver, May 2016 comparing the Focus RS to the WRX STI and Golf R

Member #
    Liked
    1593 times
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    If Android and Sync 3 works with wi-fi, that might sway me away from Apple. I don't like having to connect my phone....I don't want to deal with wires!

I can always just permanently connect an iPod like I did with my Pioneer head unit, but I like the idea of connecting my phone through wi-fi so I can use other apps.
    Android Auto already works with Bluetooth, so wireless functionality is not new here. I don't know if Apple has said whether or not they will update CarPlay to support wiress connectivity.
    Paolo and RS2SG like this.
    "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

1997 Eclipse GST Spyder - FP T28, Link v3, RC550, "Edgar" - DEAD
    1995 Talon TSi AWD - EVO III 16G, Link v3, RC550, HRC FMIC, "Viktor" - SOLD
    1999 Eclipse GST Spyder - Completely stock, Not worthy of a name - DEAD AND SOLD
    1994 Miata - Montego Blue, "Rusty"
    1997 Miata - Classic Red, MegaSquirt, FX-R 3.0, GT2560R@11.5psi, "Richard"
    2012 500 Abarth - Nero, Tork Tuned, DV+, "Alessandro"
    2000 Ford Ranger - Oxford White, "Dusty"

Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randman2011 View Post
    Android Auto already works with Bluetooth, so wireless functionality is not new here. I don't know if Apple has said whether or not they will update CarPlay to support wiress connectivity.
    Apple supposedly has almost released a wireless version, but pulled it at the last second. Supposedly VW was going to show it at CES this year, but the plug was pulled by Apple.

If Sync 3 does work wirelessly with Android, and Apple does not, then I will probably get a new phone.
    RS2SG likes this.
    Grimlock

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Mike View Post
    Cool! what a poor looking head unit is that from a Skoda?
    Looks like a unit from VW.

Quote Originally Posted by KingZee View Post
    Thanks. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I'm really excited that they'll have native support, so you don't need a compatible head unit in your car to run android auto, which was a big motivator for me getting the RS. Now I'm thinking what else can I get that's used and won't depreciate much for less than 40k M3 manual ?

Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSno0b View Post
    Looks like a unit from VW.

Thanks. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I'm really excited that they'll have native support, so you don't need a compatible head unit in your car to run android auto, which was a big motivator for me getting the RS. Now I'm thinking what else can I get that's used and won't depreciate much for less than 40k M3 manual ?
    My Z06 depreciated $100 from when I bought it 6 years and 20K miles back. I sold it Monday.
    Grimlock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors