Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Anyone else have green valve stem caps?

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 ·
I have no idea why Ford would make a black wheel, put black valve stems on said wheels and then top them off with green valve stem caps but that is what my car has.

Am I alone or does everyone's forged wheels come like this? Anyone source some black caps yet?

#3 ·
The green cap indicates the tire was filled with nitrogen versus atmospheric air. This was probably something done by the dealer.

Reactions: M!!
#7 ·
As already mentioned they are for N2. If you want black ones you can go to a bicycle store and get some caps for a few cents. I left the green one's on because it reminds the techs not to put regular compressed air into the tire. I wasn't a believer of N2 until I started using it six years ago in all my cars. The tire pressure definitely remains more stable for a longer period of time. It's also lighter than air so the wheels can spin faster!:D

#8 ·
Moisture free too. Less pressure change with temperatues.

From Popular Mechanics:
With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers.

#9 ·
I just run normal air. One of the shops near my house will fill my air tank from there nitrogen system. Only did this for a little while as it was a hassle to remember to get them to refill the tank before a race so I could adjust pressure with nitrogen. When they mount my race tires they used nitrogen. But, not needed tires in a while and as I said, for me not worth the hassle.

#10 ·
Nitrogen in a street car tires is just pointless. The only application where N2 is useful is when you don't want the pressure to change with temperature. In fact, on street cars the manufacturer rates tire pressures when "cold" to account for increasing pressure/temps as you drive. And the tire will NOT hold the N2 longer than normal air. This comes from the previous fact that when they fill, they fill to manufacturers specs +20% (or whatever percentage), and there is simply more gas to escape. So in reality, you will be driving on under inflated tires if it is filled to normal or less pressure.

People should be insulted when a car place tries to scam money out of them for N2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.