Ford Focus RS long-term test review: how does it drive in the wet?
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Ford Focus RS long-term test review: how does it drive in the wet? within the News forums, part of the Site News category; Our Ford Focus RS is tested in the wet weather where it proves just how it is quick it is, if demanding, when the weather ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoonigan
  • 2 Post By Hoonigan
  • 1 Post By PacificNorthwestRS

Thread: Ford Focus RS long-term test review: how does it drive in the wet?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5156 times
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)

Name:  ford_focus_rs.jpg
Views: 3951
Size:  262.2 KB

Our Ford Focus RS is tested in the wet weather where it proves just how it is quick it is, if demanding, when the weather takes a turn for the worse

by Autocar, 31 March 2017

As a former Subaru Impreza WRX owner, I’m bang on the target audience for the Focus RS.

After all, the Ford has the all-wheel-drive, all-weather pace that made cars like my old Subaru and its Mitsubishi Evo nemesis such heroes back in the day.

With the weather taking a turn for the worse, the roads are now slick with leaf mulch and standing water — perfect conditions for the Focus to prove itself. I have to say, though, that the bumpy roads round my way mean the RS’s super-quick steering, fierce springing and willingness to rotate into the corner on the throttle make more demands of the driver than I’d expected. As such, it’s proving itself more Evo than Volkswagen Golf R in nature and in no way dumbed down.

If you’re up for the challenge, that’s great news. Not so long ago, you’d have had to endure horrendous fuel consumption and weekly service intervals for this level of pace. That you can now get it in a Focus says much for Ford’s democratisation of performance.

Little niggles

Much as we’d love to spend the entire three months with the Focus RS in the Highlands, the fact is that a lot of its driving will be in town. It’s the same for many hot hatches, of course. And sadly the Focus doesn’t fare too well, with a tough low-speed ride, terrible turning circle and tricky visibility. Hopefully, more fun miles can redress the balance soon.

FORD FOCUS RS

Price £31,000

Price as tested £35,135

Economy 26.3mpg

Faults None

Expenses None

Last seen 23.11.16

Ford Focus RS long-term test review: how does it drive in the wet? | Autocar
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Panda Tuned, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, re-circ valve, and Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decal, Hoonigan crash bar!
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS (Holden Commodore)(Wife)
    2015 Tuxedo Black FiST (Daughter)
    2016 Stealth Grey RS2, Dewey: built 3MAY2016. Delivered 31AUG2016!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5156 times
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    The comments section of this Autocar article are priceless.
    Paolo likes this.
    2013 #2008,#349 of 2286 in PB ST2, Panda Tuned, Mountune CBE, CAI, DP, re-circ valve, and Strut Tower Brace, FRPP shifter, K&N filter, Steeda rear sway/strut tower bars, 3M clear bra, WeatherTechs w/ST badges, Zunsport grill kit, Tail of the Dragon decal, Hoonigan crash bar!

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    I can only imagine....this car seems to bring the "haters" out of the wood work

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5156 times
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Everytime I read about how harsh the ride is in the FoRS, I think of the shipping blocks still be installed.

I didn't buy this car for a smooth ride.
    jayem and Sikmrex like this.

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They insist on whining it down, literally. The car got nearly universal applause and very favorable reviews and for many that was like horse piss in their cheerios. I think many of the tots throwing toys out on their previous EVO people and Subros. They should be happy as the vehicle forces more competition. VAG has already raised HP on the 2018 Golf R. The crying won't stop.
    Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.

Member #
    Liked
    1315 times
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    I'd be upset if I had bought an inferior car too, haha.
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    Tune+ | ETS | Cobb | Scorpion | Eibach | Mountune | UPR

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Everytime I read about how harsh the ride is in the FoRS, I think of the shipping blocks still be installed.

I didn't buy this car for a smooth ride.
    I finally just got my RS. I came from a 2011 WRX and a 2013 BRZ. I've also driven a 2005 STi and 2008 STi for reference (that '05 STi was a kidney rattler). I thought the BRZ was the nicest ride out of all those. It was light but stiff and didn't need to be heavily sprung or anything. After driving this with suspension in normal mode, I find the ride is even nicer than the BRZ. With the shocks in sport mode, I only noticed the harshness when a wavy/bumpy road would make the car start to bounce a bit.

Maybe it's just me in having only driven Subaru tin cans for the last decade but I personally thought the complaints about suspension harshness were a bit overblown. Perhaps I also managed my expectations well too. I suspect my ride will further improve when I put on my 18" OZs since those tires should absorb a bit more with taller sidewalls.

RS Senior Member
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I feel like a superhero in the RS when the weather is bad. I cruise at 85mph when it is pouring outside and the RS is planted.
    cornerexit likes this.
    FW rs2 with forged rims, Sunroof.!
    Ordered oct/15
    Took delivery 7/29/16
    Eibach- Ets- K&N- downpipe next

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pointless review!