Snow? Focus RS ain't got time for that!
Close
Login to Your Account
Ford Focus RS Forum

This is a discussion on Snow? Focus RS ain't got time for that! within the News forums, part of the Site News category; Focus RS will be first car in North America to offer a winter tire and wheel option as a factory accessory Focus RS Winter Wheel ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Snow? Focus RS ain't got time for that!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Focus RS will be first car in North America to offer a winter tire and wheel option as a factory accessory
    • Focus RS Winter Wheel & Tire Package includes Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tires, 18-inch silver-painted wheels, tire pressure monitoring sensors, and center caps all fully mounted and balanced
    • Package is certified to Ford Performance standards; arrives at dealerships ready for installation

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 17, 2016 – Customers of Ford’s all-new all-wheel-drive 350-horsepower Focus RS will now be able to order a fully certified winter tire kit for great driving enjoyment in the snow.

The Focus RS Winter Wheel & Tire Package offers customers a unique set of wheels and tires – the first time an original equipment manufacturer is making a check-the-box winter tire option available in North America.

“We started this project knowing what our RS customers really want out of their cars,” says Adam Wirth, chassis supervisor, Ford Performance. “This tire package allows RS owners to continue spirited driving even in the snow.”

Ford Performance developed this package so the most demanding Focus customers can be outfitted with optimum equipment for winter conditions. The challenge was that normal vehicle testing procedures require certification with production wheels and tires; winter-only standards had never been authored. To bring this package to owners, the first step Ford Performance had to undertake was creating a new set of standards specifically suited for brutal winter conditions.

These new standards were put to the test in extreme cold and snow in Northern Michigan and Sweden, to guarantee the quality and performance Ford customers expect. Engineers and technicians tested a wide variety of high-performance winter tire and wheel setups to determine the optimum combination for ride, handling and performance in various wintry conditions.

The winning setup is a 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tire mounted to a new 18x7.5-inch wheel, which looks very similar to the base Focus RS option, but is finished in sparkle silver to hide salt spray. The set is complete with tire pressure monitoring sensors and center caps fully mounted and balanced and ready for installation at the dealer.

The wheel and tire are narrower, to provide improved snow traction, while the overall diameter is smaller, so owners can fit chains if necessary.

“We fully expect our more extreme-weather customers to take advantage of the ability to use snow chains,” Wirth says a smirk.

The Ford Performance All-Wheel Drive fitted to Focus RS will take full advantage of these new winter tires.

“Settings are completely driver-preference,” notes Wirth. “Customers are able to utilize all four drive modes to suit their driving style in winter conditions.”

Focus RS Winter Wheel & Tire Package is available only in North America – a $1,995 option. For customers in Canada, the package comes standard on Focus RS. The Focus RS arrives at dealerships in North America this spring.

Name:  _P9A2267_HR.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  275.6 KBName:  _P9A1634_HR.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  307.9 KBName:  _42A0957_HR.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  110.9 KBName:  _42A0843_HR.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  189.1 KBName:  _P9A1762_HR.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  213.3 KBName:  _42A1068_HR.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  278.8 KBName:  _42A0881_HR.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  140.3 KBName:  _P9A2215_HR.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  281.5 KBName:  _42A1075_HR.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  285.9 KBName:  _42A0940_HR.JPG
Views: 875
Size:  114.0 KB

Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Saw this on Autoblog. Also, I think the winter wheel package looks really good on the car.
    jpky and james_mak like this.
    Ford Fiesta ST || Ford Focus RS | Smurf Massacre Blue Quad-coat | Build date: 4|8|2016 (B.M.F.) | Shipped via Zenith Leader 5|28|2016 | Delivered 7|5|2016

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider615 View Post
    Saw this on Autoblog. Also, I think the winter wheel package looks really good on the car.
    And how was their music?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusRS.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh FFS...it comes as STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR CANADIANS?!
    jpky, 1KillerRS and Indmix like this.
    2016 Frozen White Ford Focus RS, RS2, Forged, Winter Tire & Wheel Pkg
    2013 Frosted Glass Metallic Ford Escape Titanium ex-wife got it
    2006 Apex Silver Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX - English Racing tuned to 361whp/310wtq sold

Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    And how was their music?
    Definitely a nice touch
    NickJ likes this.
    Ford Fiesta ST || Ford Focus RS | Smurf Massacre Blue Quad-coat | Build date: 4|8|2016 (B.M.F.) | Shipped via Zenith Leader 5|28|2016 | Delivered 7|5|2016

Member #
    Liked
    1596 times
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Room for chains?! Can you imagine... chasing down snowmobiles and yetis..

Lets take this ***** to the North pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways206 View Post
    Oh FFS...it comes as STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR CANADIANS?!
    They get a better deal than we do in terms of price/standard options as well.
    jpky and Carlman257 like this.

RS Rookie
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Drift mode with chains??? Excuse me Mr. Dealer, my tire chain came loose while I was spinning my car around 115mph and it completely removed my fender liner and most of my brake lines. This is covered under warranty right? You said I could use them and had Ken Block showing me how to drive in the snow...

RS Master
    Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, no holes on the front means no hole from factory?

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The winning setup is a 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tire mounted to a new 18x7.5-inch wheel, which looks very similar to the base Focus RS option, but is finished in sparkle silver to hide salt spray.
    Love this part: I want my winter setup to look good even in the stanky crotch of salty winter.

RS Member
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but that slo-mo video seems to really show how much the rear's are being overdriven versus the front tires.

The difference in speed is noticeable (which implies a lot more than 1.8% overdrive that I've seen tossed around so much).

I suppose the left front could be spinning a way faster than the right (it's an open diff after all), but I'd think that they'd use the brakes to keep them both running about the same speed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors