Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Hit and Run.. Think a first timer can take on the fix?

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  cornerexit 
#1 ·
Found my car victim of a hit and run this morning, no note ><

After spending a few minutes using a microfiber and some quick detailer I had in my trunk I was able to clear it of most the rubber. It has some pretty good staining and a lot of small scratches in the upper area, and the one area where the tire chewed through the paint, but all in all it doesn't look THAT bad.

I'm tempted to collect a repair check and put it towards something fun like exhaust or suspension bits and try to fix it myself.. but I have no experience working with paint to such a degree. I'm fine taking my time and doing research on the methods, just wondering if those with a bit of experience think someone who has never tackled a project like this could handle it and have it looking good as new. Or should I just bite the bullet and get it repaired at a shop.

Here are two pictures, one upon discovery, and one after spending 5 or so minutes on it. The second picture in all honesty makes it look better than it does in real life, or maybe thats just because I'm the owner and hyper aware..

Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Vehicle door Auto part

Automotive exterior White Bumper Vehicle Car

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks. You really can't park your car in the street anymore. Too many idiots just bump into your bumper. I had to order another front license plate bracket cause someone bent mine all up.

If you have any scratches just to the clear coat, you can buff that out yourself. Generally with some light sanding until the scratched are gone (very fine paper for automotive detail), buffing with scratch remover, and then applying a nice layer of wax. The bumper looks like some touch up paint will be required. You can call your ford dealership and they can order you a small bottle for like $25.00. I don't think you will need any primer since it's on plastic but probably some clear coat after you apply the paint and allow it to dry. Mask off your work area so it doesn't go everywhere.

I'm no expert either

#6 ·
Yeah man, the whole attitude of "thats what bumpers are for!" has replaced the attitude of "this is someone else's property and hard earned money, I should respect that" :(

Looks like a trip to the auto store is in order.. though I wonder if I should just hold off until I get it looked at by insurance.. probably - but damn I hate the thought of my RS being marred for any length of time if I can do something about it!

You should be able to polish it and get the most out from there.
BUT the unpainted part is tricky and I doubt it will be not-noticeable.

I would start polishing it to avoid the ugly look. Check this post of mine from today. I won't dare to deal with your unpainted portion though.
Wow man, terrific work on your rock chip, I couldn't see, watched the video a few times. And that section that is now without any paint worries me too, and its right on the contour, probably adding even more complexity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That sucks. Here in MI there's not much choice.....just get upset and live with the damage. Any calls to insurance = rate increases....and we're already the 2nd highest state for rates in the nation.
Thats an intense policy, I sure hope you can avoid those calls to your insurance for the duration of your driving days! The thought of paying any more for insurance makes me die inside (300 a month... thanks to a ridiculous accident with an UBER driver a while back, should be dropping off soon though, thank god!)

That sucks, I hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction soon.

It's not just cars sitting parked that are in danger..... I had to dodge out of the way of 2 drivers today... One passed me while still in my lane, my biggest pet peeve of other drivers BTW... And another just too distracted by whatever was on their(her) phone.
Thanks man. Couldn't agree more on your assessment as well, the percentage of distracted drivers on the road today is mind boggling. Driving a bus you get a great vantage point and I shiver at the amount of people I see driving while fussing with their phones or pulling some dumb move to get half a second ahead.

#4 ·
That sucks. Here in MI there's not much choice.....just get upset and live with the damage. Any calls to insurance = rate increases....and we're already the 2nd highest state for rates in the nation.

#5 ·
That sucks, I hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction soon.

It's not just cars sitting parked that are in danger..... I had to dodge out of the way of 2 drivers today... One passed me while still in my lane, my biggest pet peeve of other drivers BTW... And another just too distracted by whatever was on their(her) phone.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear that. The potential good news is that the original paint is very durable and if you have the right equipment and products it will hopefully buff out. I have a DA polisher and the range of polishes and pads. I had a garage door come down on the nosecone of my Focus ST, leaving a large rubber mark on it from the rubber weatherseal strip on the bottom of the garage door. It looked pretty hideous, so I went to work with a heavy cutting compound and the cutting pad and after a few rounds, it came off as if it never happened, to my absolute delight. If you don't have these things, you could take it to a detailer and hopefully they can correct this for you with similar equipment and results......

#11 ·
This type of **** is why I won't DD this car or leave my bikes parked anywhere.

Problem #1 is nobody cares about others property any more.

Problem #2 is many of problem #1 don't even care about their own property!

Always reminds me of Vincent Vega.

Lance: Still got your Malibu? Vincent: Aw, man. You know what some ****er did the other day?
Lance: What?
Vincent: ****ing keyed it.
Lance: Oh, man, that's ****ed up.
Vincent: Tell me about it. I had it in storage for three years, it was out for five days and some ****less piece of **** ****ed with it.
Lance: They should be ****ing killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
Vincent: Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it.
Lance: What a ****er!
Vincent: What's more chicken**** than ****ing with a man's automobile? I mean, don't **** with another man's vehicle.
Lance: You don't do it.
Vincent: It's just against the rules.
My condolences OP. Get it fixed, sucks, but you won't be happy until it looks new again.

#13 · (Edited)
At least the bottom one is on a body line. It looks bad, but it's much easier to clean that up and make it look good than you expect. Check in your social network to see if anyone knows someone that works at a body shop. That amount of damage should only cost $100 to repair at friend rates, tops.

I love having a body guy.

Reactions: StevenP
#14 ·
That's terrible.
Good luck with the fix..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.