Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Anyway to disable the DLR's?

18K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  NISMO_IX 
#1 ·
Can a control module be re-programmed to disable them? Any other ways? Not a fan.

#4 ·
Keep them, it allows me to see you at dusk better because you think it's light enough to keep you headlights off

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#9 ·
In the manual we are not able to turn them off. Not even with the fuse I believe. That's how i used to disable in other vehicles was through the fuse because the HID's would get to hot and not turn on right with partial voltage to them.

#12 ·
Up here in Canada, daytime running lamps are required by law on all new vehicles, and have been for about 20 years now. It doesn't much matter whether or not you like them. One thing that's good, is that the car makers have gotten smarter about how they are implemented, and at least with the LEDs on the Focus we should not have longevity issues with the main lights.

In the US, there are some states that mandate headlights (and therefore, taillights) during rain conditions/when wipers are in use: from Wikipedia,
Several states on the Eastern seaboard, the Southeast, and Gulf Coast (except Texas) have enforced vehicular laws since the early 1990s that require headlights to be switched on when windshield wipers are in use. This prompted the phasing in of DRLs in the affected states (from Maine to Florida including Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama)​

#18 ·
I guess i got spoiled, in the VW/Audi scene, with the appropriate software you can assess the controller, and recode it to disable the DRL, some vw/audis DRLs where configurable through the settings menu, i dont see them as a safety feature, more of an exterior styling accent, i think the car would look better with them off during the day thats all.

#19 ·
i do not think this looks better

yes, yes its just my opinion, i know

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
they are not that bright,

unless he is asleep with his face in the window, or wakes up when the moon comes out

#34 ·
For some weird reason, though I run all of my lights 100% of the time, I still get cut off in traffic. But I think the ones that do are intentional, because you can't say you didn't see me. 🤨

As for disabling them, I could understand idling in a parking lot and having them off. In my Z, when the E-brake is pulled, they shut off. But I assume not the case with the RS. The dome light bothers me more. There is no readily on/off switch for this either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.