Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Official Update: Sync3 Version 2.2 from Ford

227K views 315 replies 104 participants last post by  Fiorot2916f150 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Apparently the official download links no longer work. Apparently Ford either thinks everyone has updated or has posted newer versions and changed the links. If anyone has a valid link let me know and I'll change this page.

I also added information for the USB module needed for MY2016 cars to use Apple CarPlay. As Ford has been saying all along, this module must be payed for if you want to use CarPlay with those RS's

I guess it is time to say it outside of the Unofficial thread. In case some of you have been waiting for the official release, but stopped following that rather lengthy discussion.

It has been confirmed that Ford has released the official update to Sync3 version 2.2. It has been confirmed to work for people in MY16 cars on Sync3 version 1.0, Systems that upgraded to the Unofficial 16280 version and people in MY17 cars that had version 2.0 installed. The new version has build number 17011.

To confirm for yourself, go to owner.ford.com and sign in. Click on the "Sync & Vehicle Features" tab at the top and then select "Check for software updates" under Quick Links. You should see a page stating whether or not your sync is up to date. You can also see your Sync update history by clicking the "Full Sync History" link on the right side of this page. Or you might be able to go there directly with this link: Ford Sync Update History. Of course, this all assumes you have added your own RS VIN number to the website.

If there is an update for you, you should see a download link for the files that are needed. You can download the files and follow the instructions to install the update from a USB drive. I suspect this update will not be OTA because of the sheer size which is greater than 1.5GB.

Note that many people have stated that the download link gives them errors in their browser. I suspect this is because Ford got overloaded with people trying to download the files, but it might be other issues with the download.

If you do the update, please post here how it went, which Model Year car you used and what, if any, issues you had.

Here are the official links. I upgraded mine this morning on the way in to work. It took about seven or eight minutes. It really was done faster than I thought it would be, but I did 2.2 16280 Unofficial to the 2.2 17011 Official, so that's just updating a couple of files compared to 1.0 to 2.2.

For those who cannot get the files through the owner.ford.com website for some reason, here are the direct links.

LINKS NO LONGER VALID. Let me know if you have more recent working links.
For Navigation systems: Official Ford version 2.2 Update 17011 For Navigation Systems

For NON-Navigation systems: Official Ford version 2.2 Update 17011 for Non-Navigation Systems

Note I have a Navigation system, so I did not test the Non-Navigation bundle. If you are on a Non-Nav system and have problems with this set, please let me know.

Also note that in order to get this to work with Apple Carplay on MY16 cars, you must replace the USB hub located inside the Central Console under the center armrest with the proper part from Ford. The World OEM Parts part number HU5Z-19A387-A is the one I purchased. Shipping takes a couple of weeks. Notice that this part fits pretty tightly inside the console, so you might want to do some research into the replacement process before proceeding. Android Auto does not require this module and works with all Model Year RS's.

To help some who haven't done this before, haven't read the original "Unofficial" post or just want a bit more help I am adding the following instructions:

First of all, download the file from the link just above. The file will be called: HN1T-14G381-SA.zip

For those with the technical experience who like to be cautious, you can verify the SHA256 sum for the file:

For Navigation file:
53537a52a30888fe3ae6c476747c200377a4a33116276961d7199627e4b118e6 *HN1T-14G381-SA.zip

For Non-Navigation file:
f19455b06d20cc693c18b664abe4d0e0f52641d625937429418f7e491ca26b97 *HN1T-14G381-SA.zip

Unzip the file.

The Mac needs special instructions because of the way the files are stored. If you double click the file it will unzip with the internal folder names messed up as the PC stores folders with a Backslash (\) character while the Mac and Linux use the forward slash (/). If you have a Mac, it will be easier to open the terminal and use the 'unzip' command line utility like this:

unzip HN1T-14G381-SA.zip

For the PC, extracting the files should work fine. The point is you should end up with three things you need from the file, two files and a folder:

Text Blue Font Line Screenshot

Inside the SyncMyRide folder there should be five files (six for Non-Navigation system upgrade):

Text Blue Font Line Screenshot

Notice that the file names are slightly different for Non-Nav systems. There is an extra file GB5T-14G386-SB.tar.gz and instead of files with -BC and -BA in the name there are two files labeled with -CC and -CA in the names

Your USB drive needn't be large, but the files take over 1.6GB (2.2GB for Non-Nav version) of space, so make sure you have at least a full 4GB USB drive. It must be formatted FAT32. Some drives come formatted with "exFat" which works as well.

From the top level directory (picture 1) with the two files and SyncMyRide folder, select all three of those items, and copy them to your USB drive's root directory. Bottom line the USB drive should have the same thing you see in the first picture. Do not remove the files from the SyncMyRide folder. They have to be in that folder, which sits along side the "autoinstall.lst" file.

Once the files are on the USB drive, eject it properly and then take it to your RS. You will need about 30 minutes with the car running, so make sure you have enough time.

Make sure nothing else is plugged into your RS's USB ports, both the one under the environmental controls or the one in the center console under the removable tray. Nothing, no phones or USB drives should be plugged in or the installation will not work.

With the engine off, plug the upgrade USB drive into either port.

Start the Engine. You should see a message at the top of the screen that says "Updating system software" after the Sync system comes on. If the files are incorrect or the drive is not recognized, you may see a failure notice. Or you might just not see the Updating message at the top of the screen. However, once it is started, you can drive your car, use the Nav or Audio system as usual. The upgrade is done in the background. It should have the updating message the entire time. At some point (usually around 20 minutes, but your mileage may vary) you will get a Popup Window in the display that says the update has finished. It will tell you to remove the USB drive.

Now all you have to do is find a safe place to shutdown the car. Make sure you shut off the engine and open the door for a few seconds so the system fully shuts down. Simply shutting off the engine and starting it back up does not reboot Sync3.

If all has gone properly when you restart the system you should see the bright red RS logo. This will be new if you were on 1.0 before. In any case you will probably notice that Sync3 takes longer to start up, that is because it is finishing the upgrade process. You should see a message at the top of the screen saying that the system software has been updated.

To verify, touch the the Settings icon (the gear in the lower right corner of the touch screen.) Touch the General Settings icon, then select the "Automatic Updates" menu item. There select the option to see the Current Configuration. You should see a message stating that you are on: Sync3 version 2.2.17011_PRODUCT

What you are looking for is the 17011, which is this latest version. If you see that, you are on the latest.

Enjoy the ride!

See less See more
#116 ·
@micky1407 I'm with ya

I just talked to a Ford Sync tech and they gave me the same suggestions you have brought up. I will try a 32gb stick next and see how it works as well as a Sync Module Reset which seems to be like a hard reset. I also have a Non Nav '16.

One thing that just dawned on me though is that I have yet to have any of the BCM/PCM updates that came out. Maybe that has something to do with system not updating?

#118 ·
Well, i did the update. You do NOT have to have the car running fyi.

I had to leave the car for a while before re-entering. Only 30 seconds or so was not enough. I came back half an hour later and it completed the update.

Does 17011 not have carplay? (dont see options for it, like i do android auto)

#122 ·
i called the phone number listed.....under the SyncMyRide folder...I had six sub folders.....the person told me that I should only have five, so I deleted the folder that wasn't supposed to be there.....GB5T-14G386-SB.tar.gz............I have a feeling that I will still have issues....nothing is so simple with me and Sync :/
On the road for work so won't be home until tomorrow night.

#126 ·
Unless the autoinstall.lst is updated or the process that runs it does not error when a referenced file is missing I don't see how that will work. GB5T-14G386-SB.tar.gz is related to gracenote. Fairly sure this was in the unofficial update too.

#137 · (Edited)
I have one USB stick with the files that the Ford service line said I should have under SyncMyRide (five files)....and another stick with six files under SyncMyRide.....which one looks correct? As I previously mentioned, I had to delete a file according to the help line. Thanks for any help.

Edit ......I have the non- nav system.

Attachments

#138 · (Edited)
I'm officially out... I've had it. I'm through.

When the RS goes back to the dealer for service or another recall, they can do it. I quit.

These are the sticks I tried to use.... And yes, one is a usb card reader with a 32 gig micro SD card.

I've downloaded the update(and extracted then copied the files to the usb) each time, for the first 2 attempts. The last 3 were all done at the same time... 1 download, and extraction, then copied to 3 usb drives.

I drove for a total of 6 hours, and burned a half a tank of gas(in crappy Houston traffic) trying to make this happen. It's no longer in my hands, and I don't care.:grumpy:
Technology Everyday carry Electronic device Material property

#139 ·
Sorry to hear some are having trouble.

Are all of you who are having issues on Non-Nav systems? If that is the case, then the problem may be me, I've only show the link to the Nav system as that is what I have. If so, I apologize and will redo the OP to state this.

I just downloaded from the link someone said for Non-Nav and the file is actually bigger than the Official Nav version. Counter Intuitive.

#157 ·
I just downloaded from the link someone said for Non-Nav and the file is actually bigger than the Official Nav version. Counter Intuitive.
The unofficial was the same way. I think it is that the Nav had NA only prompts and voices while no-nav has EU and NA support, so more sound and text.

#140 ·
Nope, I think you're fine @wrecklass

I have tried just about as many times as @EvanRyan has with the same results and I got my files directly from Ford. I have a non nav 2016 FWIW. Now every time I plug in one of the USB's with the update files on it I just get the same message "bad installation file" one or more of the files being installed on your system did not install correctly. I have a service appointment tomorrow to get all of the recalls done and also told them about my Sync update issue. They seemed less than enthused about trying to get the update working and I am not excited about going to this dealership.

#141 ·
Ok finally tried again after work. It finally updated for me. I do have the nav so not sure if that may be important. But after no go I bought a new flash drive, a 16gb PNY USB 3.0, loaded all the stuff as the instructions say. I did a master reset on sync yesterday. It did take around 20-25 mins which seems to be longer than some.

#143 · (Edited)
I have the navigation(RS2).

I have not tried the "master reset" yet, so I guess I'll try that before throwing my hands in the air out of frustration.

I guess when I'm downloading this upgrade from Fords website they know my car has navigation??? I say this mainly because for the unofficial upgrade there are two versions to download depending if you have nav or not.... on the Ford site it's just the one download. I'm just spitballin' here.

Edit:

Also, I've never had the "installation failed" message.... I just have the "installing update" across the top of the screen forever. After 2 hours I came to the conclusion that it was never going to happen, and pulled the stick out and cycled the car off and on. Same old Sync 3 version 1 is still there, I put in a new stick and tried again with the same results.

#145 ·
I ran the linked non-nav version on my 2017, it appeared to work (said it was successful, asked for reboot, had a 'successfully updated' notification after restart) but I'm still on sync 3 2.0 build 16074.

I may have screwed up the process though as my first run ended while I was driving and it rebooted before I could pull the stick out. The install ran again after the soft reboot (non key off) and I let it fully complete. There was no auto reboot after the second run, and key off cycle changed nothing.

I'll give it another shot today but I'm not entirely convinced that non-nav download link is v2.2.

#150 ·
Did you shut down the engine, open the door and wait for the system to fully shutdown after the upgrade? Just pressing the start button to stop the engine and restarting it does not reboot anything.

The process restarting will not cause any problems, it's a very fool proof system.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

#149 ·
Try performing a master reset. I did it from the settings menu. I tried the power button fast forward at the same time, but it just rebooted sync with no change.

Then reformat your usb. Download and extract the upgrade again so you'll have a clean file. I noticed that on the stick I tried to upgrade with twice, there were two extra files that sync put there. Each new file was tagged with the times that I tried to perform the upgrade.

Also, not sure if this is important but... when I formatted the usb drive this last time, I selected "restore device defaults" I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but it was the one thing I did different from the other tries besides the master reset.

If I could get it to work, then I'm sure you can. [emoji1]

Good luck.

Taptalkin'

#151 · (Edited)
I successfully updated last night....non-nav version. Though the advice that the Ford service hotline told me was not correct....I believe. They told me to delete a file in the SyncMyRide folder...I did that for one USB stick and the other USB, I kept with all six files....the one with all six worked. I didnt bother with the one where I deleted a file....didnt seem right. (Refer to photos above)

Edit. When you log into your My Ford homepage, the update is automatically confirmed....which I think is different from the old My Ford Touch system where you had to log/confirm the update manually on the website.

#153 ·
I successfully updated last night....non-nav version. Though the advice that the Ford service hotline told me was not correct....I believe. They told me to delete a file in the SyncMyRide folder...I did that for one USB stick and the other USB, I kept with all six files....the one with all six worked. I didnt bother with the one where I deleted a file....didnt seem right. (Refer to photos above)
I suspect the Ford telephone support people aren't completely up to date.

#155 ·
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between v2.0 and v2.2? I skimmed through this thread as best I could, and all I could find was it restored album art for songs played off a USB stick? anything else? thanks...

#164 ·
More info please as I still can't get mine to work. Do you have a nav or no nav version and what steps did you go through to get it to work?

I have tried like 15 times with different usb's, master resets, extracting using different software on PC and MAC and no matter what I try I can't get it to work. On your 4 attempts what error were you getting? Please enlighten me lol.

#160 ·
Can someone condense the million pages related to sync and answer this question - is it worth getting the hub if you don't use an iphone? Is it necessary for android auto?

#162 ·
No. The factory 2016 hub works just fine for charging and Android Auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.