Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Using WAZE with Sync3 (Android Auto)

42K views 83 replies 32 participants last post by  dejan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, anybody have any luck using Waze with their Android Auto? Being forced to use the stock maps app is annoying. I've scoured the internet and really can't find a solid answer. I really don't want to mount my phone. :dispirited::dispirited:

#3 ·
The AA version of google maps has been as good as Waze in my experience. The only difference I've found is that Waze has MORE route options, but I haven't had an issue with maps since I updated my Sync.

#6 ·
Wow, Apple maps that bad? There's gotta be a way to jailbreak the phone and have Apple car play "think" that Waze is the stock app. but Then I guess it wouldn't be optimized for the screen and would look terrible.

#9 ·
Not supported yet, I got all excited when the AA update added the selection for the navigation app, bummed again when I could only select Google Maps. Really hoping Waze is updated to support AA before too long. I will still use Google maps for mountain trips since I can download the maps for offline use where I know I have no cell data.

Reactions: Dom718
#10 ·
Google already announced Waze will be in AA a couple months ago. Just the matter of when it is released...

#12 ·
I'm kinda surprised that car makers allow Android Auto/apple car play to display their own maps.. car makers probably make so much money on installing navigation systems in their cars and this more or less makes car navigation systems obsolete.. of course except in high end cars where the maps are integrated in the dashboard as well as the center console.

#14 ·
It's good they don't. Saved me 2.8k by getting the RS1 package since I can use AA for nav. All the heated nonsense is useless here in socal. Still a HUGE step down from the nexus 7 I had mounted in the dash of my forester.

Reactions: Ecobeast
#15 ·
If they didn't want Car Play or AA to work, they wouldn't put stereos in that allowed them to work. It still didn't stop me from getting the RS2 package.

Reactions: bearthw
#22 ·
I can almost guarantee the delay in getting Waze for AA is a legal problem, not a technical issue.

I work for a technology company that has to wait on FCC to certify our new hardware products for certain things-- it literally puts the release roadmap back another 6 months for them to do this, so I imagine the other gov't organizations are no better.

I can only imagine what they have to test and agree to with the DOT about what can/can't be displayed or accessible while the car is in motion followed by weeks of QA to verify.

I'm patient & moderately satisfied with Google maps as-is, but I do occasionally find myself just opening Waze on my mounted phone and not even using AA.

#26 ·
Here is an article about the Waze Android Auto Beta testing (remove spaces)
http :// www .androidauthority. com/ beta-invite-waze-android-auto-761632/

And here is a link directly to the Beta program. Sign up to request an "invite" to participate in said beta. (remove spaces)
https :// waze. centercode. com/ welcome/

#29 ·
As far as I can tell, that is simply the Waze Beta signup website. Nothing about AA for Waze there. If you want to participate in testing new features of Waze before others see them, that's the place to go. Perhaps when they release AA to Beta you'll get the choice there.

#31 ·
I guess internal information/discussion means nothing to some people.

Reactions: VaderSS
#32 ·
For anyone who cares...Waze for AA is out...for beta users!!!!

Go register as a beta user if you haven't done so and want the first peek. I just downloaded it and still don't have a chance to use it in the car. More to come...

#33 ·
yup working great so far for me i use waze all the time nice its on AA now

Reactions: Ecobeast
#34 ·
For anyone who cares...Waze for AA is out...for beta users!!!!

Go register as a beta user if you haven't done so and want the first peek. I just downloaded it and still don't have a chance to use it in the car. More to come...
How did you guys get the beta project in your dashboard? When I go to "Finish registration" and follow the google link in the slide show it sends me to a mostly empty page. The Waze beta project doesn't show up under "My projects".

#37 ·
No, I'm on 4.24.0.2 which I presume is the current release version.

I can't seem to get the beta project in my centercode account.

In the centercode "Finish Registration" slides it sends you here: https://goo.gl/JxsRXS

That website is blank for me. The page only loads a banner, and some basic elements. There's no way to proceed.

There's a link to join the project under "My opportunities" and that appears to be the same page with the same issue.

#40 ·
If you are in Waze beta all discussion should be on related site for beta or in private area, not public. I'm not the beta police, but would hate to see a tester lose access for unauthorized public discussion.

This post has been deleted
#47 ·
I used Waze this morning in my RS with AA (Pixel XL) for the first time. While it works well enough, I still don't see the benefit of using it over google maps, the text-to-speech voice in Google Maps is 100x better than the voices in Waze. One thing I noticed that was missing from the AA display that you do get on the phone was the current speed limit. My guess is that this is coming in a future release.

I think the strangest thing about Waze is that it's OWNED by Google! I can't fathom why they, as a business, would want to maintain and develop 2 separate applications. Why not just combine the best parts of each into a single app?!

#50 ·
I think the strangest thing about Waze is that it's OWNED by Google! I can't fathom why they, as a business, would want to maintain and develop 2 separate applications. Why not just combine the best parts of each into a single app?!
It's more complicated than that. Waze is it's own company within Alphabet. Google Maps exists as a platform beyond just a phone app. It would be difficult to tell the Waze people to shut down and move over to Google Maps team. Similar scenario for other Alphabet companies like Nest. Even though Google is breaking into the IoT space, it wouldn't make much sense to shut down Nest and roll them into Google. It's also an infrastructure thing.

#52 ·
I actually find that Waze routes me around traffic much better than Google Maps, even though Google bought Waze a while ago, and uses a lot of their metrics. I've even ran them side by side, and they have taken me different routes. From my experience, I get to my destination much closer to the initial Waze-provided ETA than the Google Maps one as well. I use Waze during my commute to work every time, but I do prefer Google Maps for just general navigation. Waze does use more battery, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.