Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Another Spare Tire Thread

46K views 137 replies 43 participants last post by  GmpaJimj 
#1 ·
I just took delivery of my RS last week. I've been reading through the spare tire threads and wanted to post my research and findings here. This is mostly geared towards US owners since Jaguar is relatively rare here compared to Europe so finding the correct fitment is much more difficult.

The 18" orange wheel was my target. There are two principal tire sizes for these, 135-80R-18 and 115-85R-18. The 135-80R-18 is very common but is the wrong size. The 115-85R18 is rarer but the diameter according to various tire size websites is 25.7" vs the RS at 25.5" which should be OK. The more common 135-80R-18 is 26.5", a full 1.0" larger than the stock RS.

More importantly, be careful and avoid XJS spares because they have a different bolt pattern, even though the diameter might be close. I believe most XJS spares are black or dark alloy. Stick with the orange alloy and you should be safe.

Target:
Jaguar 18" orange alloy wheel
115-85R-18 tire

I wasted a lot of time searching auto salvage yard websites and even made a few visits to local salvage yards. It is a huge waste of time in my opinion. Too many mis-sized spares, even if they have them. You have to be very lucky. My guess is it is like 10:1 or 15:1 in terms of the correct fitment 115-85R-18 tire.

I setup an EBay search for <jaguar spare tire 18"> and had it E-Mailed daily. A whole bunch showed up and two were the correct size. Often, the listing does not have the size and you can't read the size from the photos so a message to the seller is necessary. If it says 135-80R-18, then just move on. It is the wrong size.

Shipping costs vary from $100 to free, depending on the seller. The total selling price including shipping is probably going to be somewhere between US$100-US$175. I was willing to go that high for the right fitment. My time wasted is not worth saving a few dollars.

I attached the actual photo from EBay of the listing.

I finally made a best price offer on one and it was accepted. Hopefully, this story will have a happy ending. I'll post a follow-up once it arrives.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for posting this :tiphat: I've been thinking about trying to get a spare. We have a local auto/utility trailer garage that sells lots of tires where I live. The husband and wife owners are friends of mine. I printed out your post to give them the specs for them to find me one.

#10 ·
Man,
I am about to buy the orange and now argar posts a better option...

Argar, will this spare fit up front?

Just want a simple solution. If I get the orange jaguar I have to get me lugs and smaller tire 70 instead of 80 from what I read here.

Should I go with agar spare?
Decision decisions..

Reactions: Ecobeast
#11 ·
Man,
I am about to buy the orange and now argar posts a better option...

Argar, will this spare fit up front?

Just want a simple solution. If I get the orange jaguar I have to get me lugs and smaller tire 70 instead of 80 from what I read here.
Should I go with agar spare?
Decision decisions..
Consider a standard Focus space saver from a wrecker, plenty about and cheap enough. For the amount of time any of us will spend on it I cant see it being a bother

#12 ·
Yeah, it's not easy.
Am planning an interstate trip and just want something in boot for worst case scenario.

#13 ·
Would it be a problem for the AWD system to run one heavier wheel with the same size tire? I just bought 19 in OZ Leggeras and I'm using the stock super sports. I was thinking about using my OEM base wheel with the same size tire as a full sized spare but wasn't sure if the weight difference would be an issue.

Anyone know?

#18 ·
It doesn't matter. Even with the doughnuts people are flipping out. As long as it is close to the oem diameter, it will work. It's not like you'll be doing a rally, deflate a tire, throw the doughnut/spare on, and drive right back onto the rally stage and mash the pedal to the floor. Just be cautious until you can have a repair/replacement done. In your case with a full spare it doesn't matter at all. The drivetrain was made to use the heavier wheel. There may be some long term use situation that could occur but I highly doubt you'd just leave it on there for years.

I'll be buying a doughnut and if I have to use it I'll be driving slow so I will use it on the front tire if that goes on me. I'm not going to be concerned or going to mess with swapping back to front, or front to back on the side of a busy highway risking my life with all these folks smartphone driving. They swerve or drift too much. And too many people and officers die on the side of the road, getting hit by inattentive drivers. I'll be off highway until I can repair/replace.

#14 ·
Weight and inertia differences will not matter, just SLR is what you have to watch. This is all at general "safe" driving speeds and conditions.

#16 ·
So what jack and tools are you also carrying?

#20 ·
Only in Japan.. ROFL..

I am pausing on the spare. May get a Ford space saver for rear only.
The pricing to bring that jaguar spare are astronomical. You'd think you are getting a factory forged..

#21 · (Edited)
I went with the Jaguar XF T135/135/80R18 spare. It's only 1inch difference in diameter from the @route246 recommendation. I spent $100 at LKQ and it was delivered to my door. For the short distance I would expect to use it, it'll do the job. I will NOT be that guy that drives around for 400 miles with it on the car. Just like @Paolo I have an upcoming road trip in June and I don't want to be caught on the roadside calling for help and waiting on a Tow truck.

Reactions: Paolo
#22 ·
This seems to be a solid option. I'm definitely picking up the same size (cheap) tire as the PSS and mounting it on one of my OEM wheels. I'll have it on hand in the hatch for an upcoming rally so I can finish if a blowout happens for any reason. Now to find a way to secure it!

#23 ·
I have the orange Jag wheel with a tire. I'm not having any luck finding the lug nuts. No luck on ebay. Can someone shoot me a link or some pictures of the ones they purchased. Thanks

#24 ·
Reactions: EcoBoostin
#26 ·
It's going to depend somewhat on the condition of the tire that is mounted on the wheel.

I'll be in for about $200 including shipping of everything to Canada. I ordered one of the orange wheels off eBay. Described as having a good tire. It arrived and the tire was blistered, cupped, and not the same profile all the way around. The tire shop took one look at it and said "Let's take the air out of this guy right away". I ordered a T135-80 tire from TireRack and it's going on the wheel today. Yeah, this is one of the '2012' vintage pirelli's but it's going to have to do.

One point about the diameter calculations: Recall that the tire dimension that you want to be the same is the loaded rolling radius. I'm not sure yet how much the T135 will deflect when it's mounted and put on the front (or rear) of the car, but it's likely more than the OEM 235-35/19. So the rolling radii will equalize out somewhat. And again - this is not a performance setup. It's just a way to get you off the roadside in case you get a flat.

#39 ·
An update.

Just went with identical spare wheel and tyre to Hoonigan..an orange jaguar xf 18"spare.
Sourced some of the Toyota lugs 12M x 1.5 online..

And will put it in the boot where sub was suppose to go, but never eventuated.
Will also place scissor jack, lugs, and lug hinge for the trip.

The rear will be loaded but at least I won't be stuck out in the bush with a flat.
:)

#42 ·
Always trying to stir the sheot huh? Par for your course here on the RS forum.

Flatbed could take 2 hours in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. Flatbed could take a few hours if it's the middle of the night or you aren't in a population dense area.. And God help you on a road trip, and miles from the closest city, you could be camped out for many hours. No thanks.

Most of us don't want to deal with that....we just don't have time for it. We've got bills n sheot, a family, a household to run, a job to get to, etc. I can and have changed a flat in 15 minutes. A flatbed always takes time. And good luck NOT scratching up the front chin spoiler as Mr. Tow pulls your car onto the flatbed. This car is low to the ground.

But I understand. You put a large sub enclosure in your hatch, amps, and you felt like coming into a thread and starting sheot up.

#51 ·
The plot thickens..

You guys won't believe it but ebay restricted the delivery:
Undeliverable - Item restricted at Global Shipping Center

Arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh no spare tyre :(

#52 ·
Very sorry to hear Paolo. :sorrow:

Like you I want this done. I want my cargo tray turned into a spare, jack, tools, and amp. Everything cut out perfectly so no rattling, nothing loose. Bye-bye Feng, and Sony amp, off you go to my attic for 25 years.

#54 ·
I've been following this thread for awhile. I plan to do some road trips and I have AAA, but if in the unlikely event I get a flat somewhere, I don't want to be stuck for several hours or even overnight, since our tires aren't always in stock. Also, who knows where I may be, possibly in the middle of nowhere with out cell coverage. So, I was thinking of buying a full sized wheel and tire combo on Tire Rack and take it with me on a trip...I will be on my own...so space shouldn't be an issue. One of the cheapest combos I found for about $300 was a MSW Type 48 wheel and a Sumitomo HTR Z III tire. My two questions for the forum experts (way more knowledgeable than I'll ever be) are #1... Is a 45 mm offset ok? I am thinking it is and #2.....Is there a way to know beforehand if the stock lug nuts are compatible ???? Thx for any help.....I always learn a lot from fellow members.

#55 ·
I just experienced the fear that everybody here has voiced. Let me tell you, it sucks.

Hit a pothole while driving a remote mountain road and got TPMS warning within 2 minutes - sidewall blowout on my MPSS with only 1300 miles on it. Obviously fix-a-flat didn't work. AAA wasn't able to locate a tow for me and I had to arrange for tow on my own. Then there were no 235/35 R19s for a couple hundred miles so the car is at the shop waiting for a tire tomorrow.

I'd already been planning to put on 18s and track down a spare, but now that has jumped to priority #1. Wish I had done it before I started exploring the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#57 ·
Sorry to hear. Yes this is the exact situation many of us would like to avoid. A situation where even hecklers come into this thread and try to argue with people over it.

I hope you get it fixed quickly and get back to driving your RS.

#61 ·
Hi guys, just want to confirm that I purchased the following:

-Jaguar 18" orange alloy wheel with the 115-85R-18 tire from Ebay (came off a 2003 S-type R)

-5 of these Lug nuts Gorilla® 12mm x 1.5 Chrome Jaguar Lug Nuts from Brandsport Auto Parts (#GRLA-73138J)

-This scissor jack https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQN09Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-This lug wrench https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKCQ2O4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

—and I just jacked my RS up an hour ago and the wheel fit perfectly with the lug nuts. Big huge shout out to the OP @route246 for doing all the research and @daverup for posting the link to the lugnuts. Here's a pic of my fitment:
Vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive tire Tire

The scissor jack, extra lugnuts, lug wrench all fit in the empty compartments pretty perfectly in the styrofoam under the trunk to the right of the sub. The only pain in the butt is the fact that the wheel I need to keep full time in my trunk, but its a pretty thin, compact tire and it doesn't take up TOO much room. I can still fit crap in there.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Vehicle brake

#67 ·
Hi guys, just want to confirm that I purchased the following:

-Jaguar 18" orange alloy wheel with the 115-85R-18 tire from Ebay (came off a 2003 S-type R)

The scissor jack, extra lugnuts, lug wrench all fit in the empty compartments pretty perfectly in the styrofoam under the trunk to the right of the sub. The only pain in the butt is the fact that the wheel I need to keep full time in my trunk, but its a pretty thin, compact tire and it doesn't take up TOO much room. I can still fit crap in there.

View attachment 190009
Band saw the styrofoam insert to fit the mini spare under the cargo compartment cover...see link

What did you do to your FoRS today? - Page 24

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.