Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Mountune Sound Suppression Chamber Installation Video

17K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Biznatch 
#1 ·
Some additional guidance here. Took advice of others to install through wheel well. Hoping this will help others speed up their installation. The vacuum swirl is now gone so it works as indicated.

Links to parts and pliers in description on Youtube website.

#2 ·
Nice job! I tried to install mine twice now and gave up. Can not get that c-clamp off for the life of me. However, I didn't turn the front wheel full lock to the right like you did, so I will have to give it another try like that. :)

How long ago did you order your part? I got mine within the last 2 months and mine came with a screw type clamp versus a snap clamp for the rubber cover. I wonder when they changed and why.

#3 ·
Going through that wheel well makes a world of difference. And get yourself a set of mini snap ring pliers. Like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002E08YSY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497283633&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Mini+circlip+pliers&dpPl=1&dpID=31c8kkXUKPL&ref=plSrch

Cheap ones will do. They just need to be small to get in the space available. You will be amazed ar how easy it is that way with the right tool.

#6 ·
What does this thing actually do? I've read the product description but is it worth the 60 bucks?

#7 ·
When upgrading the intake (even just the air filter), the turbo produces a faint whistle/hum that kinda sounds like somebody blowing over a bottle. I have the Mountune induction kit and hear it during cold start and when cruising on the freeway, where it does start to get annoying. Is it worth $60? depends on how much you can it I think.

#8 ·
I've said it before in the other thread but seriously just take the wheel off - work smarter not harder

seriously, it is so much easier to be able to look easily at the part and not be fighting that thing in your way lol

#17 ·
Mine moves as well.

#18 ·
@gte posted a workable alternate solution for like $6, worth searching for. It uses the stock piece with an aftermarket inexpensive rubber cap and a single piece of hardware to mate the two.

#21 ·
Yepp. Last time I tried my snap ring was at 11 o’clock. Took 3 hours to not get it.

Fast forward to Sunday, I got it off when I had my front coilovers and front brakes out. I did the DIY SSC and i tried 2 different hoses and when they tighten up, it just slips off. Now my car is parked on the street and can’t be driven. Pretty mad

#22 ·
Yepp. Last time I tried my snap ring was at 11 o’clock. Took 3 hours to not get it.

Fast forward to Sunday, I got it off when I had my front coilovers and front brakes out. I did the DIY SSC and i tried 2 different hoses and when they tighten up, it just slips off. Now my car is parked on the street and can’t be driven. Pretty mad

#23 ·
Holy moly, I did it. It’s nearly 11 at night, I’m tired, and it’s taken me about 2 1/2 hours to install it and Mountune’s uprated bypass / air recirculating valve (most of which was taken up by the SSC), but it’s done. I’ll post what mini snap ring pliers I used tomorrow.. I need to get the wheel back on, pack it in, & sack out for the night.. I will say that this time that snap ring is situated at 4 PM :D .

#24 · (Edited)
Update:

Photo of the SSC & new bypass valve:
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

The set of mini snap ring pliers I used (in addition to, at rare moments, the $4 Harbor Freight one) are these, via Amazon:

OTC 4514 Mini Snap-Ring Pliers Set - 4 Piece

I used the straight-on and 45 degree ones, and basically had to lay myself over the wheel hub & caliper, while snaking my left arm up through the body to steady the ‘ring on install, contort my head so I could see, and use my right hand to hold the pliers and ring while wearing a head lamp. Basically it sucked, but it’s installed properly.

#25 ·
I used the straight-on and 45 degree ones, and basically had to lay myself over the wheel hub & caliper, while snaking my left arm up through the body to steady the ‘ring on install, contort my head so I could see, and use my right hand to hold the pliers and ring while wearing a head lamp. Basically it sucked, but it’s installed properly.
Pretty much exactly how I did mine! My chest was sore the next day from putting weight over the rotor/caliper!

You should see my pliers! Modified them to fit as the grips were too long to fit!

Took me about 2 hours to get it done too with all the tools mods and multiple trials of almost getting it done! Mines a bit loose too as other mentionned.

#27 ·
This. Use the hook to grab the hole that sits highest and pull down. This will ease some of the pressure on the ring and allow you to rotate it around to the bottom where you can get it with the pliers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.