Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Stupid tuning questions from someone who knows nothing for anyone who gets tuning

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  TUNE+ 
#1 ·
Hey everyone--

I understand the tuning/warranty issue so right off the bat we can close that book, haha. Onto my stupid question:

I just had this pop-up on my local CraigsList: I have a V3 accessport from Focus ST. I would like to sell asap.....

First, if I got this V3 accessport, the hardwarewill work the the RS even though he ran it on an ST, correct?

If I got everything from this guy and hooked it all up all I would need to pay for additionally would be, say, $150 for Adam's single E-tune for my RS and he would provide me with new software/maps for the V3? My total costs would be the V3 from CL and $150 for Tune+?

He wants to sell ASAP...if I offered him $350 would that be a great price for me, even used?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
A Cobb AP V3 for a Focus ST will not work for your RS. You will have to send it into Cobb for them to re-format it and it's $150 IIRC.

So if you got it on CL for $350 + Cobb $150 + Tune+ $150 = $650 (same cost as new unit with tune)

#3 ·
OK got it, thank you.

#4 ·
Pretty sure if you buy the AP from Tune+ you don't get the custom tune, just his "OTS" custom tune. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong. But as it states on the Tune+ website "includes Tune+ 91/93 octane Tune."

So it would cost $800 if you bought the AP new from Tune+ and wanted a "your car specific custom tune," whereas if you bought the used one and sent it to Cobb then bought the e-Tune ("your car specific custom tune") from Tune+ it would cost $650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
It is still a custom tune. OTS literally means that the tune is downloaded, and nothing else. He does revisions on the tune until it "matches" the performance of what his standard stage 1 tune is. If you want to go beyond that to account for parts, etc. then you will be purchasing a single e-tune, or lifetime tuning.

#6 ·
So does that mean the included tune is custom to your specific car or just his standard of an "OTS" tune? Because that is what I'm trying to get at. He may have a higher standard than Cobb or Mountune OTS tunes, but it doesn't mean it's specific to your car. This is very useful information.

#7 ·
So does that mean the included tune is custom to your specific car or just his standard of an "OTS" tune? Because that is what I'm trying to get at. He may have a higher standard than Cobb or Mountune OTS tunes, but it doesn't mean it's specific to your car. This is very useful information.
I actually just verified this yesterday with Adam. The tune that comes with the Tune+ AP is a stand-alone tune meant for stock cars, or cars with mods that wouldn't otherwise need a tune. It doesn't involve any data logging and correspondence, like the $150 one time or $300 lifetime tunes do because it doesn't need to be customized if the car is "stock." For example, all I'll have installed when I get the AP is an intake and spacers for the throttle body and intake manifold, and I will be purchasing just the AP for now because the tune that comes with it will cover my mods. When it comes time to upgrade charge pipes and intercooler, I'll be adding on the lifetime tune.

#12 ·
That's good to know. In my email exchange with him, he made it sound like any customization would require an e-tune purchase. Did you only buy the AP then, without the one-time or lifetime tune upgrades?

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah just purchased the AP on its own from Adam. I do plan shortly to buy the "one-time tune" once I fit up all my bits which I purchased locally here in Oz. To be honest I was just going to wait until I fitted all the bits and then purchase the one-time tune from Adam. However given I had the AP in my hands and instant power was only 1/2 an hour away, I thought hey why not see what the free tune is like from Adam in comparison to the Cobb one loaded on the AP on a stock car.

As mentioned above I contacted Adam, gave him the AP details and next morning the e-tune file was sitting in my inbox with instructions on how to log and what parameters he wanted to log.

Cheers

#13 · (Edited)
Any tune that is not done on a dyno is not a "custom" tune. Sure things can be adjusted and logs can be sent to get closer to what you need. If the tuner is not your car tuning, it will never be the same.

Reactions: bludrgn
#14 ·
Technically, anything that is adjusted to your specific car based on any sort of metric (logs vs live) is still customized. The degree and effectiveness of customization, may vary between a dyno and log-based tune, but it's still customized nonetheless :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.