Ford Focus RS Forum banner

The True RS Mod thread

13K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  Hoonigan 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

This is my first post so I am sure you are saying to yourself "WTF could he possibly know. I have been a long time enthusiast, racer and have been published in every major Ford magazine in the US. More importantly, I just returned from SEMA on Thurs, had a long talk with the designer of the RS about the strengths and weaknesses of the car, then picked up my Nitrous Blue 2016 last night lol. The reason I am giving my resume here is because I hope some of my wisdom can help avoid wasting your hard earned money on useless mods and in some cases lose power because you didn't know the right combo. In the coming months, the aftermarket is going to be saturated with parts for the RS, which is both a good and bad thing. I have my build already specced out and reviewed them with the engineers from Ford. I have been assured these are the way to go. Keep in mind, these parts are not always going to suit the owner on a budget and may not be available for some time, so be patient.

Exhaust: I saw a thread asking which company to go with. The answer is simple and that is Bassani. I love magnaflow and a few others, but on the dyno, there's no comparison. The kit is not available yet, but as it turns out, they will be using my car to design and confirm fitment on it. That will include the catback and downpipe for now. Second is a header and there is nobody better in the industry than KOOKS. If you want the most power from your exhaust, that is the way to go.

Tuning: There are a lot of great tuners and software out there. SCT is by far the best IMO and the only names that I trust are Jim Larocca, Kevin Hand and John Lund (feel free to google them). I have used tunes from all three over the years on my Cobras and will stand by their work no matter what anyone says.

Suspension: Nothing on the market worth bragging about yet, but I will update this once the solution I am waiting for becomes available

Brakes: Wilwood or Brembo rotors and EBC or Hawk pads (choose which series of pads based on track usage)

Cold Air Intake: In this case, you don't need a RAI and if you bought one return it. K&N makes an amazing system for the RS and I highly recommend it.

Blow off Valve: YUCK!!!! stay away completely unless you like bleeding boost. Get yourself a Diverter valve (sound is equally as cool).

Alternate Fuel: Absolutely mandatory E85 and above will yield major hp and torque gains as well as less wear and tear. Make sure you tune for it

Well that's it for now. I hope this helps in some way.

See less See more
#33 ·
LOL Obvious Troll is Obvious.
Kooks headers on an RS, man that's rich.

Also don't just name drop random people. I know Kevin personally and he won't be doing a lot of tuning for this platform. He has no interest in the ST or RS because of market saturation. However if you pay him he will do what ever you want, but to say he's the best is a bit of a stretch. He's one of the best for Mustang tuning that's for sure but this is an entirely different market for him.

#34 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Awww, please come back Satz!

I need to buy some parts, the right parts and I need your input or I will get the wrong ones guaranteed.

#37 ·
Just ordered this beaut; Kooks Street Header. Taking my car to the bodyshop tomorrow to get a hole cut in the front fender so that I'm good to go when it arrives.

Automotive exhaust Exhaust manifold Auto part Automotive super charger part Pipe

My setup will be something like this but behind the tire instead of in front. Safety first. :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Automotive tire

I'm developing an exhaust splitter (think anti-collector) to split the exhaust pulses into each individual runner. Making it out of aluminum of course; Heavy Duty Reynolds.

Side exhaust for the win. If GT-Rs and civics can do it, so can we!

#39 ·
I'll second that motion.

#41 ·
Haha lolz. I think the satz has left the building on this one.

Probably realized he messed up saying all that stuff out his satz that he didn't know jack satz about. Haha

I don't know about you guys but I found his post to be superbly informative, now if only I could find where my header is I'll be in business haha.

#55 ·
@Phestezio

Contact stucktoyou on eBay (Kelly) should still have the design on hand.

It's the perfect size for a tool box.

#44 ·
I like this the best.

I have my build already spec'd out and reviewed them with the engineers from Ford. I have been assured these are the way to go. Keep in mind, these parts are not always going to suit the owner on a budget and may not be available for some time, so be patient.

Be patient. Satz had a sit down with the engineers from Ford. They assured the all mighty Satz that his build was indeed the way to go. You might not be rich (or famous enough, ...published in every Ford magazine in the country!) to hang with Satz though and if you do you'll still have to be patient because his killer mods might not be available for some time!
Pretty dam funny!

#49 · (Edited)
WTF could he possibly know?

Heard from Ford Engineer as he pats Satz on head "Sure, Satz, that's the hot setup. Don't we always hook you up? That 3-wheeled bicycle you ride came out Biitchin, right?"

Jim

#51 ·
I just want to know this:
Who is Satz mocking with his post? This is such an obvious troll but I just can't figure out which forum member he is trying to mock.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

#52 ·
I'm not sure that's the case. When you parody someone it has to be very obvious or it fails and this isn't blatantly obvious. If it really was supposed to be a parody, then he is more of a tool than the person he is imitating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.